dipti_more8

Ceilings & Trims. Logic in painting same as wall but in diff sheen?

Dipti More
last year

Hello all,
Can someone explain the idea behind painting the ceilings and trims same colour as the wall but in different sheen? As I understand it should be walls:eggshell or flat; trim: semi-gloss; ceiling:flat.
We are likely going F&B Pointing on the walls or a Dulux equivalent (still trying to crunch the numbers to see what we can afford). So is it safe to go trims & ceilings with same colour as wall but different sheen? Or any recommendations?
It's a fairly low-light room with natural light coming in from a south-west window with a brick colour overhang. The furniture in the room will be mainly soft gray (casmere cabinets & two grey sofas) and light wood flooring.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks.
D

Comments (4)

• Sonia
    last year

Emulsion is used on walls and ceilings, either matt or silk finish. Eggshell, gloss and Satinwood is used on wood such as skirting boards and doors - it is tougher and less likely to scuff and chip, although sometimes it will. Don’t use eggshell on walls, it will be difficult to spread and will be pricey. F&B use their own terms for wall paint finish - modern (washable) and estate (chalky). If you visit their website it will explain the various finishes and where they go.

Dipti More thanked Sonia
  • Dipti More
    Original Author
    last year

Ah I see. Thank you Sonia:) Much appreciate you taking the time to reply.

A follow up question if you don't mind. Would it then be ok to use the same colour but different finish? So if I choose F&B Pointing , could I do Emulsion for walls, trim & ceiling; Satinwood for skirting & one door?

• Daisy England
    last year

Thats correct

Dipti More thanked Daisy England
  • Sonia
    last year

Yes that is correct. Some people like one colour throughout and some like a simple white trim. Or dark trim and pale walls. Comes down to personal preference.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.