insideoutoxford

What are the restrictions around height and width of a garden room?

Standard regulations when building less than 2m from a boundary state a maximum height of 2.5m. There is no mention of a restriction on the permitted width in the regulations. At Inside Out Oxford, we regularly build across the complete width of Victorian terrace gardens (typically between 4m and 6m wide).

The maximum size is determined by the restriction that you are not allowed to consume more than 50 percent of the garden for any building projects as measured in the original curtilage. This means that extensions and so on count towards that consumption of space.

Be careful about the total size, however. The maximum permitted footprint could be quite large, based on the curtilage, but it’s safe to say that anything over 30m2 should probably be checked. You can apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development, which is a rubber-stamping of your designs and equivalent to permission from the planning authority. Read more about rules around garden rooms here.

Damson Cottage · More Info

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.