esther_lyons36

Vinyl vs. Carpet in bedrooms

Emma
2 years ago

We are debating what flooring to get in the bedrooms. We have two young children, I think wood-effect vinyl will be more practical, however we would just get standard sheet vinyl not LVT upstairs. Husband prefers carpet but I think it will quickly get stained. My only concern is my daughter has a trundle bed and I am worried this could damage the vinyl when pulled out. It is on castors but they sometimes drag

Comments (10)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I like cosy carpet in a bedroom but I agree that vinyl will be easier to clean, especially if you have children. You could have a rug half under your daughters trundle bed to stop it catching on the vinyl. Rugs can also add a bit softness. Here’s a pic but it doesn’t have to be pink! 😊

• Emma
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Sonia. She would love that rug!

• Sonia
    2 years ago

😅

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

You could also put caster cups under the bed to protect the floor

• Emma
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OK thanks Jonathan I'd not heard of these, I will have a look thank you!

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

Carpet is much kinder to children's knees. Vinyl is good for little cars and trucks but it is a bit chilly.

• macbroom
    2 years ago

I agree with colourhappy that carpet is kinder to knees. They’ll probably be playing on the floor in their rooms so carpet would be more comfortable. My mum always kept their hallway carpeted as that’s where my daughter played when she visited. When she grew up my dad got rid of the carpet to reveal colourful original Victorian tiles (which are beautiful to look at but too cold to play on!).

• Cle Campbell
    2 years ago

We only had carpets on the stairs, hall and landing in our old house and brought up 4 children without any issues!
    Always had a large rug near the bed for them to play on.

Just wait until they get older with drinks, food etc in their room in addition to makeup, nail varnish etc!!!
    Also cleaning carpets under beds and pulling out furniture is a nightmare. We have the previous owners carpets in our new house and detest them. Just feel so dirty as we have ottoman storage beds and those with drawers and it’s a real challenge to vacuum,
    Absolutely can’t wait to put in LVT or hopefully just sand the original floorboards if at all possible.

• kazzh
    2 years ago

I have to say, although vinyl is practical it is cold! Carpet is so much warmer♨️. How about a base layer of vinyl but a large rug almost to the periphery,  or a series of rugs in areas like near the bed and play areas.

• Emma
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all, yes as you said kazzh, I had planned on getting more than one rug - one large rectangle and one shape one (Cloud/rainbow etc.) as well as a bean bag and floor cushion and a bed canopy & throw to make it feel warm and cosy with different textured fabrics. 

We will get carpet on the stairs and landing. I am just debating whether to get vinyl in our room too as I am cumsier than the kids!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.