webuser_645376096

Help with front of house including porch

Jelly Legs
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, you were very helpful when trying to work out the internal layout of our single storey side extension thanks and now I’m hoping for advice & opinions on the exterior too please.

We have a small mid century semi. There’s half a dozen similar style houses around but it’s semi-rural round here and the road is a mix of eras with some cottages so I’ve leant in to that sort of vibe rather than the actual era of the house.

Currently there’s a flat concrete porch which I thought we could replace with a wooden pitched one. Thinking that the side extension roof could match the existing house. But I was hoping to set the extension back a couple of feet (partly because I thought it looked better and partly because next door is high and right up to the boundary so don’t want it to all look terraced) but it turns out that to fit everything in internally we would need to be just shy of flush at the front (20cm back) and the roof/guttering on the extension will now protrude slightly over the front and up next to the wooden porch. There will be a side passage though of just over one metre.

Does this look ok as a style? Am not sure if it looks a bit like we’ve just added bits on without thinking how it works together. Would a mono pitch roof that ran right across be better? We are tight for space though and would that option mean building the extension forward a bit?

Any suggestions at all for roof shapes and/or porch much appreciated.

Now…

Possible extension…

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.