webuser_768402840

Full refurbishment advise please

HU-768402840
2 years ago

Hi everyone,

Hope the weekend is getting along just fine.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I finally have cleared all the paperwork to the property but have to wait for another 4-6 weeks for finances to come through. That would give me a head start, to get tradesmen lined up, who are like gold dust at the moment.

Just to recap, I am going to strip down the whole property, re-wire the place, install a new combi-boiler and central heating, knock down the wall between the dining room and fit an RSJ steel on pad stones, new internal door, new flooring, new carpets, plastering and paint. Besides loads of smaller jobs, as shown in the building survey.

I have had several builders visit the property but the quotes have varied from 46-78K!

One of the builders, I call him A, has a big company, seems pretty reliable, but his quotes seem to vary when checked out or compared with others.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought of getting the 'tearing' down jobs done by someone who has less feedback, is much cheaper and can start within weeks rather than months.

While the 'reconstructive' or delicate jobs, which can affect the structure of the property, such as RSJ and conservatory roof, I would stick with builder A, who has significant positive reviews online?

Would he take offence, to do only part of the jobs and not the complete refurbishment?

Also, I seem to find getting recommended individual tradesmen such as electricians, heating engineers and kitchen fitters much easier than getting a general builder and plasterer.

So I could do the electric re-wiring, heating, kitchen and stripping down the property on my own and give the rest to builder A? I hope I'm making sense here. Just trying to see if I can get the job done faster, cheaper but for those that are riskier, I would go with builder A. If he agrees to the plan.

There will still be 30k worth of jobs, if not more, for him to do

I have cut and pasted his quote below. Added by own feedback (F) and thoughts, on where I could make a difference

----------------

A -Site Set up: Temporary W/C Skips Plyboard driveway Fences/Hoarding Signage Insurances Plant Site Management 1 Item

3,387.50-- £3,387.50 B PC SUM:

My thoughts- The above seems a reasonable quote?

====================================================

B-Removal of existing conservatory roof and replace with Like for like. Upon removal of roof: Remove existing brickwork above conservatory window approx. 5m in length (Due to leaning and cracking in mortar) and replace with new. Upon Surveying the job, we had noticed that the windows have no lintel above - We will allow to supply and fit new concrete lintel. Re Lay Concrete capping stones on both parapets to left- and right-hand side of roof Budget Re Lay Concrete caping stones on both parapets to left and right-hand side of the roof

Budget 1 Item 4,500.00 £4,500.00

--My thoughts---- Seems like a lower quote to me

As previously advised by Jonathan, would prefer replacing the Georgian glass roof, with an all-weather roof--

1. To supply and fit 150 mm x 50 mm timbers, 125 mm Celotex Pearl deck and a fully felt roof to make it watertight.

I would prefer if builder A does this job

===========================================================

C-Chimney: PC Sum: Access to Chimney: Repoint chimney and flashing detail 1 Item

800.00 £800.00

D- Re position corner trims on existing Fascia Re position Soffit vent

1 Item 120.00 £120.00

E- Front Elevation: Replace 1no. missing concrete tile to the right-hand side of the left window. 1 Item

81.25 £81.25

My thoughts--- I would prefer if builder A does all the 3 jobs( CDE) mentioned above

========================================

-----

F Rear Garden Wall: Option A PC SUM: Removal of Existing Garden wall and dispose of Make Good Patio slabbing area - allowance for the area only where the wall was sitting - Slabs to match existing

1 Item 950.00 £950.00

G Rear Garden Wall: Option B PC SUM - To assess the extent of the rebuild - Rebuild existing wall - Remove all mortar, rebed any existing loose bricks and repoint

1 Item 637.50 £637.50

H New Loft Hatch with pull down ladder to be installed in the front right-hand bedroom: Create opening Supply and install Loft ladder and hatch and architrave around the opening. Make good ceiling around opening by patch plastering 1m x 1m allowance.

1 Item 637.50 £637.50

My thoughts- Would prefer if builder A does all the above three jobs ( FGH) mentioned above

=======================================

I Stripping of all wallpaper throughout the property. As we can’t determine how easy or hard the paper will take to come off or how many layers are on the walls. We will Put in an allowance of 5 Days 5 Day 160.00 £800.00

My thoughts--- Could I get someone else to do this job? A cheaper, quicker person. It's after all just stripping things down?

============================================

J PC SUM: Plastering works throughout the property: Removal of debonded plaster and cracks in brickwork - TBC and quoted once full inspection after cladding and wallpaper removed. 1 Item 2,000.00 £2,000.00

Feedback from another builder- The quote is low, I assume he is quoting to simply re-skim? It is never that simple. I would suggest a budget of 2500-5000 because if the actual plaster falls off, then more will be needed. At this point, there is no turning back. Given that I would be doing a full rewiring, I guess more plaster will fall off

Query-- Could I give the plastering job to someone cheaper? Which is a more delicate job, plastering or painting?

==============================================

K Strip out of Kitchen, isolate plumbing and electrics and dispose of in builders skip Removal of the wall in between kitchen and dining room. (to be assessed if load-bearing wall - TBC)

PC Sum to supply new Kitchen £5000.00

PC sum to fit new Kitchen £3000.00

1 Item 8,450.00 £8,450.00

My plan-- To get the kitchen done by an independent kitchen supplier in Birmingham

To get the wall knocked down by a cheaper builder BUT the RSJ steel on pad stones, to be done by builder A

===========================================================

L Strip out of all floor finishes throughout the property Strip out of all internal doors, architrave and skirting Strip out all timber wall cladding All to be disposed of in builder’s skip

1 Item 975.00 £975.00

M Upgrade of Heating system: Isolate and remove the existing heating system and replace it with New combi Boiler.

1 Item 4,250.00 £4,250.00

Above two jobs to stick with builder A

=========================================

N Garage roof: To be surveyed to assess work involved to rectify pooling of water

1 Item 0.00 £0.00

Above job to stick with builder A

O- Full House Rewire

PC Sum £6,000.00 1 Item 6,000.00 £6,000.00

The quote seems too high

I got a reliable electrician to quote me 4600, including smoke alarms, so find this very high. I Will try and avoid builder A

==============================

P Internal Door Replacement: PC sum to supply doors and furniture £95 per door PC sum to fit door £75 per door Allowance 9 Internal doors (excluding wardrobe doors) 1 Item 1,530.00 £1,530.00

Seems like a cheap quote? Stick to builder A

=====================================

Q Decoration to newly plastered areas: 3 coats of Dulux standard range Emulsion to walls and ceilings Prime, undercoat and gloss skirting boards and architrave. No allowance has been made for the decoration of doors.

1 Item 7,687.50 £7,687.50

Seems like an expensive quote from builder A. I always thought that painting was an easier job to do.

Could I give this to my builder, if he's cheaper?

R Supply and replace skirting boards throughout Property Allowance 90 Linear Meters 6" Chamfered skirting Supply and replace chamfered Architrave on all internal doors

1 Item 3,875.00 £3,875.00

S Floor Finishes: No allowance has been made for any floor finishes i.e carpet/tiles To be quoted upon confirmation of floor finish per area. Replacement floorboards - Any replacement floorboards to be quoted once all existing floor finished are stripped up

1 Item 0.00 £0.00

Above two jobs to be given to builder A?

========================

Total £46,906.25

====

Many thanks for your input, sorry if it is long and painful to read

Kind Regards

Mel

Comments (10)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.