surfiegal

Need help with my ensuite layout

Katrina H
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, we have to redo our ensuite due to previous owners bad DIY job and a flooded floor :( so all floor/walls need to be ripped up and waterproofed properly.

My question is, which do you prefer of these 2 layouts? (mirrored cabinet 900mm to match a 900mm wall hung vanity, or a 1500mm mirrored cabinet). Also, any design opinions or flaws you can see?

Entrance to the bathroom is in the middle opposite the black awning window and is a cavity slider door which slides shower direction. We want a single fixed glass panel for a walk in shower, but also a shower base/tray for the added security. Also, how anyone have any advice about the best materials for a wall hung vanity? I love the look of real wood, is it okay if properly sealed? Can hair dryers etc sit on it? Or better to have a plain white stone top?

This photo is my inspiration for colours:

Love the wood vanity, black/white bowl, charcoal floor etc.

Prefer chrome taps/shower too.

Ensuite · More Info

Comments (16)

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Storage is important for a small bathroom.

but, since you have mentioned you are having to redo the walls and floors, my suggestion, if possible, recess the entire cabinet into your wall, assuming you have a stud wall. This would depend on the location of studs, and that may determine the size cabinet that is possible, but worth looking into. Also, if you have a 1500mm cabinet sticking out above the toilet, would people hit their heads on the cabinet? Whilst Sitting down.

• bigreader
    3 years ago

I have a mirrored cabinet that extends over the toilet because I needed the space. I wouldn’t do it otherwise. Have had to fish a few things out of the toilet. Definitely recess it as suggested above.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Unless you don’t need the third cabinet I would delete it.

• Katrina H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the advice so far, sounds like just the 900mm double mirror cabinet is the way to go :)

• Susan Clark
    3 years ago

The only diff I can see between the 2 layout pics is the mirrored cabinet - is that right. I am assuming the Black square is a window and that the entry door is opposite this.

The general layout is clean and neat but would not work so well for someone with a disability, so ensure you don’t need more space to accomodate walking frames etc.

I would increase storage by taking vanity to the floor. I have a 1.8m mirrored cabinet in my Ensuite and love it. Many bathroom essentials can be stored well in a shallow cupboard. Recess if you can..... The entry to the shower seems to waste space where a shallow full height cupboard might be put with a little creative thought. I’m thinking of the bottom left hand corner of your plan, with the entry to shower either gaining a door or moving to the front of the shower area. Good luck with it.

• Katrina H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi! Yes that's the mirror cabinet is the only difference between the two plans. The black square is a window yes. The space at the start of the walk in shower would hold the towel rail and have a bath mat on the floor. Our house has a 10 step entry and is on big hill, so definagely not built for anyone with a disability so if we needed that option we'd have to move.

• renatagielis
    3 years ago

I'm with the above regarding third mirrored cabinet, unless it's in recessed wall.

You seem to have space on the right of your vanity, could this be taken up by a full height cabinet, incorporating a pull-out (deep drawer-style) laundry basket?

The floating vanity robs you of an extra shelf or two. However if this is what you like, go for it. If extra storage is required in the future, you can put a basket or two on the floor.

• Kate
    3 years ago

We got a t draw vanity that looks floating by only having a small support box underneath that was tiled as part of floor.

• Katrina H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Or, we could put the toilet under the window, and have something like this on the right side with a full mirror cabinet?

• HU-187759720
    3 years ago

It's a shame that the door slides towards the shower because the first thing you see is the toilet. Could there be any other place for it? I love your inspiration photo but the two examples you have shown are not as inspiring. I would try a few more options before you set your layout in stone.

I like the idea of the white vanity with the wooden top and try to find the black and white basin.

Our best eye level storage is a recessed cabinet with a decorative mirror beside it. I can't understand this obsession with storing all the things you want to use behind the mirror you also want to use.

Love that idea of tiling the kick-board to match the floor. I have also put mirror on the kick-board for the same effect. Wall hung cabinets definitely give the appearance of more space but do you out of some storage.

I dislike the idea of a wall of glass at the shower unless you are a fastidious house wife because after a few years of being subjected to soap scum they can become cloudy and that can be permanent as I recently discovered in a rental property.

In a tiny room the area can look larger if your tiles are laid on the diagonal.

If you are forced to keep the same layout would you consider a piece of furniture for the vanity?

Good luck. Remember the planning is half the fun.

Katrina H thanked HU-187759720
  • trezonagj
    3 years ago

Definitely have mirrored cabinet over vanity but it definitely needs to be recessed into wall. Not a difficult job for a builder. Extend over toilet then but finish it in same finish as vanity. You will be surprised what you can store and you need as much storage as possible in a small bathroom.

• HU-319610855
    3 years ago

Depends entirely on who is using the bathroom and what their bathrPom habits are (eg a guest bathroom requires WAY less storage than one for a whole family). Also depends on where the bathroom is situated in relation to the rest of the house. If you have appropriate storage elsewhere, then you can keep a lot less in the bathroom with “spares” or rarely used, kept elsewhere. Wardrobe/laundry/linen closet/kitchen pantry etc. if everyone would just have a think about what they really need in the bathroom every day then the need for acres of storage in there may lessen. I like your ideas initially, yes to recessing cabinetry, a hard no to extending the cabinetry over the toilet

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    3 years ago

HU-319610855, I agree that for an ensuite this might be more storage than needed. Another option for the same effect would be to step the wall in by 200mm (the depth of my wall cabinet) at the toilet and have a fixed mirror in line with the openable ones for that last bit. Normal stud framing is sufficient depth for a concealed cistern, there is no risk of stuff from the cabinet falling into the loo, and there is the added opportunity for a niche at that point in the adjoining room.

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    3 years ago

Katrina H, I am doing a very similar bathroom renovation at the moment. To overcome the cramped feeling of a small bathroom I opted for mirrored cabinets for the full wall length up to the ceiling to double the apparent size of the room. This provides more than ample storage.

Besides, a vanity unit 'box' becomes quite an obstruction in such a small space and makes it look even smaller, so I opted for a wall hung basin in front of a vanity ledge/bench same depth as the shaving cabinet above. This can then conceal the toilet cistern as well, simplifying the space and making it more unified.

Here is an image of that. Apart from the different shape window it's identical to your layout.

• Katrina H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Another picture of cabinet over toilet, but not mirrored.

I don't think we want in-wall toilet though.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.