webuser_9688843

Buy/Build/Renovate? Advice needed!

HU-9688843
3 years ago

Hi everyone. Looking to become a homeowner & feel a little green, so would love some insight and advice on the above. The area that we are looking in has a very limited number of options currently on offer.

There is one house available that looks in need of complete renovation/modernisation (it has been on the market for a number of years, has not been lived in full time for over a decade & looking at pictures seems like it would need a completely new heating system - looks to be all storage heaters at the moment). However, there is a good amount of garden space with it, which is really appealing and it could have great potential - because it has been on the market for so long, maybe we could haggle with the price? Every time I watch a home renovation show, it seems that there are so many hidden costs and ends up costing over what was originally budgeted! Would love to hear from someone who has recently undertaken a similar project - it is a 2 storey and would possibly need a kitchen extension or some changes to the floor plan for a more open living space downstairs. What were the costs like? How long did the project take? Did you manage to stay within your budget?

Is it worth renovating over trying to do a self build? There are some sites for sale in the area too, but would be apprehensive about not being able to get planning permission on a site - would it be silly to purchase a site without planning? Having more control over the project/fewer surprise costs would be really appealing, but obviously don't want to be left with a site if we aren't granted planning. Those of you that have gone the self - build route, did you manage to stay on budget & how long was the process from start to finish?

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.