greg_woodward

Fireplace Modification

Greg Woodward
3 years ago

We need to replace carpets in lounge (very old) but cannot agree on a complete revamp of the room, so as an interim I am considering removing the stonework either side of the fireplace, along with the hearth (to be replaced with a conventional rectangular hearth or none at all. Any idea what is possible, what I will find when removing the stones etc? My wife is keen to fit a gas fire behind a glass screen, with no hearth so would be good if we could fit a carpet which allows for this upgrade in the future.

Comments (16)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Yes do it now while you’re having the carpet done. It does look rather dated with all the stonework. If you want a focal point and you don’t have central heating of some kind then a fireplace would be required.

• User
    3 years ago

I hada very similar fireplace to that in my lounge. Anything is possible. Here are my before and after photos.

• Karen Burton
    3 years ago

Oooo I love this fireplace! I either love or hate fireplaces but I think the size and style is great!

• Paula Flutter
    3 years ago

Cover it in split face tiles. My brother has just done it in his house in U.S.A. IT looks really classy

• susan wishart
    3 years ago

We had this type of stonework in our old house in the 80s, and it is now a very dated look. I would go for complete removal, fireplace and all. This will allow you to modernise the look and feel of the room, especially if you are planning on replacing the carpet and upgrade the fireplace. You will probably find that the stonework is only one brick thick, although you will more than likely need to replaster the wall slightly, especially where the fireplace is. It will be more cost effective to do everything at once, and less mess, than in two stages. Happy renovations!

• ferebug
    3 years ago

We had the same problem but took it a bit further as we knocked down the walls on both sides to create an open plan area and then added stone work around the chimney. We have an open fire on one side and an electric fire on the other (we wish we’d had it made open through to the other side but couldn’t afford it at the time).

Nothing beats the focal point of a nice fireplace.

• Greg Woodward
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all your comments and ideas so far. Some lovely images - continuing to procrastinate and will post pics when sorted.

• paddyart
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you are lucky you might find the original hearth under the semi circular stone one. If not, once you have removed the stone, I would carpet right up to wall as a temporary measure. When you decide on future fire feature - which will almost certainly require a hearth for fire regulations you can have the carpet lifted and refitted around the new hearth. It might be worth keeping a note of your carpet fitters contact details so you can easily get him back when you need to adjust things.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

It is dated isn’t it and it just doesn’t go with your lovely room. Get the sledgehammer out! There are some lovely electric fires that would create a modern vibe. Something like this.

• oksanamurrell
    3 years ago

Here is what my husband built...

• PRO
    Conbu Interior Design
    3 years ago

During this project we removed the fireplace and replaced it with a gas inset fire. Hearth removed and timber sourced to match existing. Beautiful stone selected. Not great photo but gives you the idea. Good luck

• jackietravers61
    3 years ago

It all needs to go and I’d replace with a feature limestone fireplace. I’d remove the arch between the 2 rooms too, square it off. I had one of those in my kitchen, so easy to do and transformed it.

• Rachel W
    3 years ago

We put a Studio 2 Stovax gazco fire into our house which stands on a plinth, and you therefore don't need a fireplace. They do some that fit into the wall (as per the photo Conbu has put above) if you want to go totally modern, but we wanted something that looked more like a woodburner, and so ours stands on a metal plinth - you can therefore have it on carpet or woodfloor (though once it is fitted, you can't move it!) We love it - it brings a lot of heat into the room, and it is amazing how many people think it is an actual woodburner given the gas "flames". I'll see if I can post a link to it....

• Rachel W
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago
  • PRO
    Pure Stoves & Fireplaces Ltd
    3 years ago

I would definitely recommend removing the dated brickwork, we have done this quite a bit with various properties our recommended installation teams have worked in. Would recommend the Gazco range as mentioned above, the Studio range they are very good quality. Gas is great as you have a 'real' flame, electric is also quite popular now, as not everyone needs the heat so much - check out the Gazco eReflex for electric, or the British Fires New Forrest - we have both of these live in our showroom, they look great! You can look through our website for more ideas if you want.Pure Stoves & Fireplaces - website link

Hope you get on okay, it will be a very clean, fresh, different look for you!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.