sarah_unwinsuter

ideas to store / display adult Lego...!!!

Sarah U-S
3 years ago

Hi all, an odd question... my husband loves Lego - big cars and the like. Once they are made, he than wants them on display. It’s driving me potty - they are on our shelves in the living room (which I can’t stand 😂), they’re on top of an antique desk at the other end of the living room, we have R2D2 in the bedroom, and we have a couple on a bookcase in the second sitting room / teenagers room. When I complain, my husband rightly points out that it’s half his house, and the majority of design decisions have been mine, and I need to let him have his things out as much as mine are. He’s right. But I bloomin’ can’t stand it!!!!! Has anyone got any ideas for displaying these things? I’ve said that I’m happy for them to all go in the second sitting room - but need some kind of display solution. I can’t be the only Lego wife, can I?!!! (The living room has just been decorated, so I’ve told him the paint on the shelves really needs a good week or two to cure properly - so I have a small window of opportunity...)

Comments (38)

• berrecka
    3 years ago

How big are these displays? Could they go under cloches? Onto antique trays? How about a picture shelf with them on alongside framed photos of the original things they are replicating? I think you could definitely combine your styles to embrace them.

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They’re sadly not small or delicate! This is a typical one - it’s about 60cm x 30cm! Some are bigger, some are slightly smaller...

• berrecka
    3 years ago

2 foot tall? Oh right, they are a lot bigger than any lego Ive ever seen... And I can see your frustration. Of course its his house too - these are issues that most couples have to figure out, but Id struggle with it too

• berrecka
    3 years ago

sorry, i meant 2 foot long!

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

😂😂

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Wow - well if I were you I’d embrace it with its own ‘wall of shelves just for lego wonderfulness’ ... that way they can all sit together and you won’t find them popping up everywhere ... aim for either a place where they can be admired by everyone ( if you can’t get out of it) or a place only ‘specially chosen people’ can be lucky enough to gaze upon them. I do feel for you !!!

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would give him his own special place for them (where ever that may be). The issue with lego is that it's so brightly coloured it kind of shouts at you if it's in the room, for this reason I would give him a specific place to display it. Shelves that are suitable for lego models are probably practical anyway as an investment so I would build some bespoke. This is my son's room, now nearly 18 and still attached to his beloved models. This is about a quarter of what we have. Thankfully it's not in the lounge. My husband works with a guy (yes it's Cambridge) who has so many models he keeps them at his parent's house!

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Colourhapoy - those shelves of your son’s would be perfect - if he had his own room 😂😂. We ordered a huge shed over the summer, so once that arrives, I might suggest we turn it into his space. Otherwise I think shelving in the teenagers sitting room could work a treat 🤞.

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Colourhapoy - also just looked more closely - we have some of those!!! It all started with the VW Camper that I stupidly bought him for an anniversary present years ago. It’s all my own making 😂

• Patrina
    3 years ago

I just had a big giggle about this post. I am not a Lego wife but a Bolt Action wife one. (that is painting miniature military figures) I told my husband if he wants them displayed he needs to do a Garage conversion 🤣🤣 At the moment I'm safe from them because he currently works away and keeps them in his room on site. I hope you find a solution I have about 18 months before he is permanently back home.

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Patrina - I’ve just googled your bolt figures 😂😂. I don’t know what’s worse??? At least yours (his) are small - but guessing there’s loads of them?!!!

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

It could be worse, my sister's husband has a wardrobe full of military uniforms and regalia! He's only allowed some of it in the office after it's been through aesthetic filtering!

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

😂😂 Oh my goodness....

• Patrina
    3 years ago

@sarah U-S it gets worse they have whole game tournaments, YouTube channels and there is even a shop in our town that not only sells them but on Fridays they have war games in a room at the back of the shop 🤣🤣

• Sonia
    3 years ago

My sister is a Lego widow, mostly Star Wars stuff. Her husbands stuff sits on a bookshelf in the conservatory. Looks blooming awful. So one side has the Star Wars stuff and on the other side a 3 screen computer as he’s an avid gamer too (he’s 40)..........

Do you have a spare room which can be his Lego room? I feel your pain, I would hate it.

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have a small spare room that is also his space - he loves his music, so it has his records and turntable in there! Sadly no room for Lego though. He feels that he is squeezed into a small space within quite a big house. What he doesn’t get is that all the other stuff isn’t just mine, but the entire family’s. This is turning into marriage guidance 😂😂.

• Victoria
    3 years ago

Would he agree to some form of display rotation?

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ooh - not thought of that. Only issue is storage - we’d need to find somewhere for those on their rest breaks!

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha ha!!!!!! I thought it sounded a bit dodgy when I typed it.

• Victoria
    3 years ago

🤣🤣🤣

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Some sort of shelving unit with glass doors to save them getting dusty.

Had to laugh when I read the post as I think we’re all guilty of similar things. Hubby had his Scalextric in the back bedroom. I told him I wanted the bedroom for a bedroom so turfed him out and he ended up having to re-do his layout and put it in the garage Then he grumbled it’s cold in there when I moaned about the cost of the fan heater.

To add insult to injury, last week I pinched that particular bedroom for a sewing room and made him put a long piece of worktop in there on chrome legs so I could put all my sewing stuff on it. 😂🤣😂.

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You could play him at his own game and buy a load of creepy dolls and display them in the lounge. You could then agree to remove them if his collection goes in the new Lego pod (or shed as it's known). And @sonia don't talk to me about gaming computers, my teenage son has turned our lovely minimal office into a boy cave of black screens, hideous black flexes and virtual reality nonsense!

• berrecka
    3 years ago

Oh god @colourhappy, my mum has some of these. Freak me right out, especially after a few glasses of wine!

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ll stick with the Lego 😂😂😂

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Tee hee - this thread is brilliant ! E D wins the Internet for that post !!!

• Jules Mc
    3 years ago

Ha ha needed a good laugh this morning so enjoyed reading through this. I'm laughing WITH you Sarah, not AT you! I've been guilty in the past of relegating horrendous football trophies to a shelf INSIDE the wardrobe !!

Have you got any space coming down the stairs for shelving at all. I mean that bit ahead of you where people put big artwork, mirrors etc? I'm in a small house but I would have room for two quite largish shelves? That way you'd be seeing some of it (perhaps rotation like has been suggested) every time you came downstairs but it wouldn't leave the living room looking like a boys bedroom?

• Victoria
    3 years ago

Oh god, football and golf trophies 🙄
    OH is allowed to have those in the study.

• Jules Mc
    3 years ago

I long for a study Victoria. It would, of course, be a study of all the ugly things too horrible to live in the real rooms!!

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jules - sadly main stairs doesn’t have that bit because the balustrade goes all around the top - and husbands desk is on the landing behind this. (Mare husband space 😂😂). Our second staircase is then full of husbands sporting pictures 😂😂😂

• Victoria
    3 years ago

It sounds like he has more than his fair share. Why not draw a floor plan highlighting all the space he has solely for him/his belongings to prove your point.

Obvs all “your” decorative items are to make a cosy family home 😉

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha ha!!!! Have to tread carefully but will try!

• Jules Mc
    3 years ago

Oh course you have to tread careful when there's bloody Lego all over the place 🤣

• Victoria
    3 years ago

😂

• Katie Duke
    3 years ago

How about the world's favourite storage solution - the Ikea Billy bookcase with glass doors. For the slightly smaller, less bulky models you might be able to get them in a slim Billy (!) maybe in a hallway or landing depending on how much room you have - and of course you are just passing through these types of space so don't have to sit and be faced by it all. Not going to fit your Millennium Falcon in though! Might need a different solution (banish to garden?) for that!

Charming 500sq ft Studio · More Info

• 1sandyh
    3 years ago

Ikea billy bookcase is an awesome idea!

• Sarah U-S
    Original Author
    last year

Just a quick update - this is our solution to the Lego storage problem. It’s not perfect but it’s a million times neater. This is / was the kids play room, but as they’re now older teens, it’s more of a second sitting room. We used to have a bookcase, tv unit and a gas wood burner on this wall - we took out the burner, bricked up the hole from the flue and have had a new storage unit made to fit the gap. It can hopefully house our book collection, lego and clutter all in one. (Fingers crossed!!)

• Sonia
    last year

Great solution Sarah!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.