benoliver999

Removing ensuite in a 2 bed apartment?

Ben Oliver
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We live in a 2 bed flat, with 2 bathrooms.

The bathrooms are adjoining, one is the main bathroom off the corridor and one is a tiny en-suite off the main bedroom. The en-suite is so small as to be almost useless.

We're thinking of knocking through the adjoining wall to make a larger main bathroom (and fill in the door to the main bedroom). This would then allow us to have the washing machine etc where the en-suite was (more than 3m away from the bath, so we could have an electrical socket).

The pros I can see here are:

- No more washing machine in the kitchen, so room for a dishwasher/more cupboards. It's a strip kitchen that is tight on space.

- No more laundry in the spare room/living areas

- More storage above the washing machine.

- Possibly room for a condenser dryer too.

- A roomier main bathroom

- Plumbing already in place for a washing machine

The big con we are worried about is - could this knock way too much value off the flat? It's in the city, and I suppose 2 baths could be attractive to people house-sharing.

That said I know when we were looking for a place we would have really liked having a laundry/utility area over a poxy ensuite.

The other option we have is to simply convert the ensuite into a utility room, but I think it'd be a bit off-putting having to access laundry through the main bedroom.

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.