benoliver999

Removing ensuite in a 2 bed apartment?

Ben Oliver
last modified: 2 months ago

We live in a 2 bed flat, with 2 bathrooms.

The bathrooms are adjoining, one is the main bathroom off the corridor and one is a tiny en-suite off the main bedroom. The en-suite is so small as to be almost useless.

We're thinking of knocking through the adjoining wall to make a larger main bathroom (and fill in the door to the main bedroom). This would then allow us to have the washing machine etc where the en-suite was (more than 3m away from the bath, so we could have an electrical socket).

The pros I can see here are:

- No more washing machine in the kitchen, so room for a dishwasher/more cupboards. It's a strip kitchen that is tight on space.

- No more laundry in the spare room/living areas

- More storage above the washing machine.

- Possibly room for a condenser dryer too.

- A roomier main bathroom

- Plumbing already in place for a washing machine

The big con we are worried about is - could this knock way too much value off the flat? It's in the city, and I suppose 2 baths could be attractive to people house-sharing.

That said I know when we were looking for a place we would have really liked having a laundry/utility area over a poxy ensuite.

The other option we have is to simply convert the ensuite into a utility room, but I think it'd be a bit off-putting having to access laundry through the main bedroom.