lspendl828

Conservatory colour

lspendl 828

Been faffing about over window colour for ages now but still haven't reached a definite decision. Hand's been forced as a hailstorm in June put holes in over half of our polycarbonate roof panels. The conservatory is our favourite place to chill so decided to upgrade to glass. Going to replace the frames too - drawn towards anthracite grey (hate white conservatories). The surveyor's coming to measure up tomorrow and we'll need to commit to a colour very soon thereafter. What do you think?

This raises the question of what colour on the windows. I've knocked up a very crude mock up of what we're considering (thank you, Eurocell!), one with anthracite grey windows and one with white windows. Really appreciate your feedback.

Existing:

Grey/grey:

Grey/white:

• Sonia

How about sage green for the conservatory? I always think conservatories look classy in that colour. I’m not sure about the dark grey, that tends to look better with a very modern design. Here some images

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • Chartwell 19

Grey/Grey! V smart. Will upgrade the house immensely!

lspendl 828 thanked Chartwell 19
  • lspendl 828

When I see sage green conservatories I always think they look lovely but I feel they are more suited to period or country style homes. Not so sure it would look the same on my rather plain, 60s suburban house. I might be wrong though. 🤔

• Sonia

Yes I think you’re right. Would you consider a more modern style which sits better with grey?

• lspendl 828

Nice idea but I’m working with existing brickwork on dwarf walls as limited by budget. Looking to replace just the roof and frames at an already eye watering cost.

• Daisy England

I think the colour of the brickwork lends itself well to grey. Is there a choice of greys though as I feel that a mid would suit better than a very dark to black. Definitely do the windows the same colour as the conservatory frames so it all joins together well.

lspendl 828 thanked Daisy England
  • lspendl 828

Thanks Daisy. Fair point, although I think the mockup does look especially dark because the glass is also grey. There’s no alternative grey available in the mockup app but there will be in real life at an additional cost, I’m sure. I priced up black along with the anthracite grey and that was an extra £2.5k on top!

• E D

Will you only replace the frames of the conservatory and paint the other windows?

When going for white, I assume you’ll have the conservatory in white also?

And you will add a letterbox flap to the door? 🤣

• lspendl 828

Well, the letterbox flap is tempting just in case! 😉 Yes the plan is to replace the frames/roof of the conservatory and have the back windows painted/sprayed professionally. If we went white windows we’d probably stick with a grey (or some other colour, Connie) to make a feature of it - principally because I hate white plastic conservatories.

• delyth price

Definitely grey/grey!!!

lspendl 828 thanked delyth price
  • Carolina

Grey/grey for me too. Will be such a nice update for the house. Anthracite or a lighter grey

lspendl 828 thanked Carolina
  • lspendl 828

Thanks Carolina. That is a nice grey.

colourhappy

There are dozens of greys which makes it hard to describe. I like Carolina's warm mid grey that seems to contain a smidge of green.

lspendl 828 thanked colourhappy
  • lspendl 828

Thanks colourhappy. Any idea how I pin down a warm mid grey to a specific RAL colour/number?

• Carolina

The window people or a painter should have a RAL colour deck/fan (whatever it's called in English ;-) ), so you can hold colours up against the brick. Difficult to say on screen which colour would be good.

https://www.ralcolor.com/

lspendl 828 thanked Carolina
  • Sonia

Love the pale grey in Carolina’s picture! 👍

lspendl 828 thanked Sonia
  • lspendl 828

I like that a lot too. Thanks! Now to track it down...😁

• Lynn Cragg

Grey is a trend and everyone is loving it at the moment. It will pass and you may not love it so much then. If you have always loved grey, fair enough, but if you are just into the trend, it’s a lot of money to spend to want a redo in 5 years. Also worth noting, your roof tiles appear to be some shade of brown rather than the black/grey spectrum. If you take a brown roof and your yellow tinged brickwork, grey may just stick out like a sore thumb. Think long and hard about what goes with the colours and undertones of the other existing colours which can’t easily be changed.

• Lynn Cragg

Carolina, I repect your opinion and we must agree to differ. Many people thought that about the Tuscan brown and cream trend, honey oak kitchen cabinets and popcorn ceilings, but here we are switching them out. If you have a colour you love and will never tire of AND you are not thinking of selling your house, then go for it. Neutrals like beige, taupe, white, grey etc tend to trend. In this case though, the roof is a big factor. It’s not 100% clear in the photo, but I think it’s brown.

• lspendl 828

The roof’s a dull terracotta but not a very bright shade. This together with the warm yellow brick colour is why I thought (with guidance from the helpful Houzzers) that a warm, mid grey might work to bring it all together. I have always loved grey btw and it would bring the update that I’m after.

Must admit though that I’ve dithered constantly over the last year and thought why not just go white and almost avoid making a decision. But my next thought is always that I’d regret not grabbing the opportunity to modernise. Decisions, decisions…

On someone else’s post I read Colourhappy’s advice to go for a warm, mid grey with bronze undertones to compliment their yellow brick. That feels like it could be the one for me too (and it’s in keeping with all the advice here) although I’m still not sure how I track that down.

The ‘say thank you’ button just appeared on my app this morning - wasn’t there before! But really I can’t thank you all enough

• Marylee H

The NCS (natural colour system) colours are found in the Johnstone’s range.

lspendl 828 thanked Marylee H
  • Marylee H
    last modified: last month

7502-Y is very similar to Sherwin-Williams Urbane Bronze, if you want to get an idea just how dark it is. There are lots of images in Houzz & on Pinterest etc.

• Lynn Cragg

Ispendl 828. If you love a colour you are way less likely to tire of it for sure. Look at mariakillam.com for colour advice. I have no affiliation, I just found her advice of great value when we built our new house. Good luck with your renovation.

lspendl 828 thanked Lynn Cragg
  • lspendl 828

Marylee, thank you. Are those all warm greys? Should I be able to tell just by looking at them? Sorry if that sounds a bit daft!

Lynn Cragg, I’ll have a good read at that. Thanks

• Carolina

Those are warm greys 👍🏻

Cool greys have a blue undertone.

lspendl 828 thanked Carolina
    colourhappy

Hi Ispendl 828. Language is never adequate to describe complex colour issues. Grey is just a meaningless term that means different things to different people. Pure grey mixed from pure black and pure white is not actually that popular, we tend to prefer greys that have a slight tinge of colour or hue about them. This enables them to connect with things around them such as bricks, roof tiles, even plants etc. I actually think that it doesn't matter if the conservatory windows are different to the rest of the back of the house, and black or off black always looks good with brick. Here are some examples of 'chromatic greys' or in other words colourful greys. BTW I actually think your roof tiles are red/violet but that's just me!

lspendl 828 thanked colourhappy
  • lspendl 828

Thanks for that colourhappy - it sure is complex. I’m much happier with numbers and feel totally out of my depth here. I’m thinking I need to bottom the colour decision now for both the conservatory and windows otherwise I’ve got all this angst to face again! Hubby can’t cope with me and my constant talk of windows!
    Could Marylee’s ncs colour 4502 be a true contender? I’m thinking it looks warm, sort of browny and mid coloured but bear in mind I really don’t know what I’m talking about. 😂😂😂

• lspendl 828

...I like your pic 1 and 2. Pic 3 might be a little too green for me. 😁

• Carolina

Does this help to narrow it down?

• Carolina

I'm thinking RAL 7037 looks pretty close

• Carolina

Or 7023?

colourhappy

Does this help?

• lspendl 828

7037 does look pretty close to that pic which I like. I’ll get a tester. Is it just me or is 7023 a bit cold?
    Seeing Pebble Grey on your chart Colourhappy reminded me that I already tested that but didn’t like it (it seemed too cool for the brick too) along with black and anthracite. What do you think? Thanks for you perseverance!

• Carolina

The anthracite (the second one?) looks pretty good to me. But yes, if you can find a softer, lighter grey, I think it'll look even better. Funny how the same colours that are on Colourhappy's chart look different to the ones on the chart that I posted. Nothing beats the real thing in real life.

lspendl 828 thanked Carolina
  • lspendl 828

Yes anthracite in the 2nd pic. I know i- it is strange! Think I need a few more testers.

Thanks Carolina

• Marylee H

lspendl 828 thanked Marylee H
  • Marylee H

It can be so difficult to make comparisons between similar colours, just by eye and especially so as online images are really only ball-park suggestions of ‘in real-life colours’.

It’s much easier to compare similarities and differences from their colour data.

Hue Family - tells in which Hue Family it belongs & where it sits within it.

Value - tells how light or dark a colour appears.

Chroma - tells how near to neutral or colourful it is. (The lower the Chroma = more neutral.)

LRV - how much light a colour reflects. 0=black to 100=white

lspendl 828 thanked Marylee H
  • lspendl 828

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. I’ll need to have a careful look at the data and try to interpret what it all means. I’m away for a week in the Highlands of Scotland but will get to it when I’m back.
    Thanks again for all your ideas Houzzers. Really appreciate it. L

• David Crossman

Slightly aside from the original post's request for colour advice.

I am always bemused that conservatories with glass or uPVC roofs are built under bedroom windows. Building regulations stipulate that bedroom windows should be of a design and size to enable a safe exit route in case of fire. Not much use if there is a roof under the window that will not support a person's weight. If replacing the roof of a conservatory in such a position please consider a more suitable roof material. Solid roofs are now permitted on conservatories and could be a life saver in the future.

• TJ

Grey! This will make your home look more contemporary. I agree with David you could look at a more robust roof such as an orangery so you still get the light but a more sturdy structure. You can get some very trendy design which don't need to cost the earth, It will be easier to keep clean too. Our glass conservatory was a little tricky to clean. You may wish to think of snow guards to the guttering too. We had a house years back with a lovely conservatory but no snow guard. Not sure of your geographical placement but could be worth considering. The other thing to consider is if you will have the same colour on the inside - SORRY if you haven't thought that far ahead yet. Most window companies off RAL colours and the charts are easy to get hold of or borrow. Good luck. you must let us know what you decide.

• lspendl 828

We thought long and hard about a solid roof but in the end we decided not to compromise any further on natural daylight to the internal room.

Will definitely go for white frames inside. Snow’s not too much of an issue - in Scotland at the mo on holiday but normally in Cheshire. 😁

• Louise Newbold

Can you have a different colour frame on the inside from what you have on the outside?? I think a grey of some kind looks stunning but only if matched with windows too. We have recently added a conservatory which had to be white really as all our windows are white so felt it would look a little disjointed otherwise. Be bold, grey looks smart & contemporary & actually think it looks quite classy 😀

lspendl 828 thanked Louise Newbold
  • lspendl 828

Thanks Louise. Yes going for white inside and almost certainly grey outside. Just to establish the exact shade.

• suzypallin

Hi Ispendl 828. Have you thought about consulting a painting decorator? We were totally flummoxed regarding what shades to paint our flat (in an old Brewery) and bought umpteen small pots and painted swathes on the walls - the more we painted the more we became indecisive. One of the painters we were getting estimates from suggested that we use a decorator from the paint shop (Dulux or Farrow & Ball). Wham! She hit the nail on the head in every way - matching cabinets and shelves with walls, rugs etc... and it did not cost very much. She was well worth her weight in gold.

lspendl 828 thanked suzypallin