tpassi

Who makes kitchens that provide 9-12mm solid backs on cabinets?

tpassi
3 years ago

Help - Looking for non shaker style kitchen cabinetry, high gloss that offer solid backs on cabinets. Very few options in market..lots if you want wood painted options. Most of my kitchens have fallen apart at the back over time and difficult to fix. Ideas / fixes appreciated. Thanks

Comments (15)

• minipie
    3 years ago

Units online have 18mm backs and many styles. Never used them myself but you can find reviews online

• Daza
    3 years ago

8mm backs are common, e.g. DIY kitchens, if the extra 1mm isn't too important.

• tpassi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, Thanks all. Interesting note re backs of carcasses.. the majority of german kitchens (even high end such as Siematic), Schmidt, etc only have a 3mm back which I don't think is sufficiently robust to cover 10 years. The sides of the carcass are 19mm but would prefer at least 9mm. Daisy England - do you have a website for your company you work for? Thxs

• tpassi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

sorry to clarify, I would prefer a min of 9mm on the back of the carcass..sides 19mm is OK.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

Most UK independant kitchen suppliers should be able to offer cabinets with 18mm solid backs on base units and in a wide range of colours. The back panel is so important in maintaining structural strength and rigidity especially if you have heavy solid surfaces like quartz and granite. We even have a range of flat pack cabinets that have 18mm backs on base units and 8mm backs on wall units.

Interesting that you say the hi end german suppliers only have 3mm backs though, makes you wonder if they're really all that or is it clever marketing.

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

I think the German manufacturers would argue it is not about the thickness of the carcass it is about the strength. A German made 16mm carcass is often much stronger than a British made 18mm carcass as they are made from denser material.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

units online are brilliant quality and very affordable. it is quite DIY which can be a little daunting but that's why using a design service like me or others online can be useful at hand holding if you need the support.

otherwise, an independent company will have better quality than high street and you'll get much better customer service for a really competitive price. I always recommend independent over the big names every time.

good luck

Emily x

• 1sandyh
    3 years ago

All units have a ‘solid’ back. It’s not the thickness that is important. It’s the material used & the fitting. Chipboard - ply - MCF - solid wood. MCF is preferable. The edging strip - can be anything from non existent to 2mm+ ABS edging, again more preferable.

Then there’s the way the units are put together - pinned? Glue & dowl? On site screws?

Anything over an 8mm MCF back is overkill and will make absolutely no difference whatsoever to the unit. It’s all in the fitting!

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

Thicker 18mm back panels keep the cabinet square and rigid as the back panel is fixed to the top rail, bottom panel and sides with knockdown blocks and screws where as thinner panels fit into a routered slot and so there's a certain amount of movement for the back panel allowing the carcase to be able to twist and flex out of square.

• tpassi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have only come across one carcass range (2nd Nature Porter) what has decent rigid backs (9mm and over). I suspect anything handmade is also likely to offer solid back so great 3mm..but quite high end and not to everyone's budget. Kitchen carcass just like a bedroom carcass..same principles re construction would apply I guess...

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

I think that second nature (pws) supply just the doors and accessories, the carcase is sourced from another supplier/manufacturer.

A decent quality cabinet is going to cost more than an ikea or b&q cabinet but not as expensive as you might think from an independant retailer or online supplier.

• 1sandyh
    3 years ago

Like I said, anything over 8mm is overkill. If you’ve had issues in the pay then the cabinets have not been fixed & installed well enough.

Industry standard is 8mm for a reason.

B&Q etc are cheaper because 1. They have the monopoly & 2. They come flat pack & 3. Theres Limited choice in colours & sizes. They also use cheaper materials

Upgrading to MCF egged with other companies (such as DIY) is the what gives the extra quality. Note they are still 8mm backs. In fact, there’s a lot of info on the DIY kitchen website about carcasses

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

There are a plethora of different carcase suppliers across UK and then chose your doors and side panels independently... often this option is only available from a smaller independent studio.

• Lisa Graves
    3 years ago

Hi there, have you tried Benchmarx. We’ve just had a new Shaker style kitchen fitted. Outstanding quality and an affordable price The carcasses are made. https://www.benchmarxkitchens.co.uk/

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.