jonny63

Akward, curved garden with a family-friendly vibe

jonny63
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We've just bought a house with a slightly awkward, curved garden. What we've tried to do is come up with something which embraces the curve, creates a relaxing space for my wife and I and has enough going on to keep the kids (aged 4 and 6) entertained - if they're not, we won't be relaxing.

We've had the initial concept back from the landscaper, and on the whole we're really happy with the design. Here it is:

The thinking was to have a paved patio area large enough to accommodate a dining set and a separate seating area. There is a playhouse (albeit it looks more like a small shed in the image) for the kids in the top, square corner. Then we've got a separate, circular decked area for additional chillout / dining space with, shadowed a small pergola.

Let me explain the pergola. The reason it's there, bear with me, is because the kids are desparate to have a swing in the garden. Trouble is, if we plonk a conventional swing in the middle of the garden it's going to take up a lot of space and if our previous garden is anything to go by, destroy the grace where they push off with their feet.

As such, my plan was to take a creative solution and do something like in the following photo, whereby you have a detachable swing that hangs from the pergola

A Family Garden in the New Forest · More Info

On reflection, here are the potential issues / concerns I have about our design:

1. I had originally envisaged a round pergola, with posts going through the decking. However, we'd had to shrink the round deck down in size to acommodate a deeper patio. As such, we have a rectangular pergola, but it doesn't seem like there will be sufficient space for the kids to swing backwards. We can make the pergola deeper, but then the front posts will protrude onto the grass which will look untidy. I'm trying to think of a creative solution, such as an additional detachable bracket that would allow the swing to sit further forward or changing the shape of the pergola, but I can't quite picture how this wouldwork.
  2. Does the patio area look 'right' or is it too deep at it's deepest point. What would you do with it?
  3. We have some dead space between the playhouse and the round deck and raised beds. What would you do - perhaps another flower bed?

Thoughts appreciated! :)

Comments (12)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

So, are there any plants? Is it just the wee bit beyond the circular deck? It's very small....

There is no indication of size, it looks like a quarter circle, what is the radius? Or can you give us some measurements?

My kids love hiding behind things, particularly in behind shrubs, your garden does look very bare.

My kids love football, basketball, skipping... is there space for that, even if not now but in future?

I'm not sure what type of playhouse you mean, but kids do grow out of them very quickly, just concerned if it's more of a permanent feature on your plan, what do you plan putting there in a few years time?

• jonny63
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry, those flower beds will be full of plants. In an earlier version of the drawing they’re all there - I‘m not sure why they’ve been omitted in this version.

You can see here that we’ve had to make the decked area smaller to accommodate the pergola and deeper patio. I’ll try to get some measurements, I can at least tell you that the garden is 12m x 11m at its widest / longest points.

I’ve had similar thoughts re: the playhouse, but we’re just trying to think about the next 3 or 4 years for now. I do take your point a bit of a succession plan wouldn’t be a bad idea though.

• minipie
    3 years ago

We tried to come up with a pergola that doubled as a swing. what we found is that to take a proper swing (rather than a baby swing as per your picture) the pergola needs to be very strong, and for safety a very long way from any wall or any structure they could fall on. Kids of 4+ can really get going on a swing!

In your scenario I would be worried about the swing above a raised paved area and especially above the raised white beds. Kids do daft things on swings and if they jump or fall it could be nasty. Plus it may be a bit too close to the back wall.

I have seen some swing frames which are just a simple arch - thick wood beams or painted steel can be used for the arch. Would you consider this? For example an archway between the back wall of the house and the right hand side of your circular area could work and would be quite discreet from the house. You could even put fake grass in that area of the garden.

• jonny63
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts minipie. Could you share an example of the arch swings that you’ve described, that would be interesting to see.

I also can’t quite picture where you mean in terms of placing the swing? Fake grass is probably a good idea though. I don’t like it generally, but for practical reasons underneath a swing it certainly makes sense. Thanks!

• minipie
    3 years ago

Like this...

• jonny63
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah, I see. Thanks for the during. Unfortunately that wouldn’t work for a couple of reasons. Firstly the post on the right there would be right up against the kitchen window (not shown in the drawing, I appreciate. Also, if you look closely there’s a path down the side of the house for access into the garage, so that would be blocked off.

Really appreciate you taking the time to give this some thought though. Thank you! :)

• minipie
    3 years ago

Ah I see. There may be other places you could put this kind of arch type swing, depending on garden dimensions. Or ask the kids if they want that or a playhouse! Your garden designer might have a good idea for where to fit one in

my main point is it need plenty of space for the swing to go back and forth and definitely away from raised flowerbeds/other hazards.

• K D
    3 years ago

I worry that you will make compromises to your garden to fit in a swing, and kids (having the capricious nature thy do!) will use it loads for the first 3 mths and then rarely ever again! You have 2 kids, so if you can only fit in 1 swing there will be arguments too! I think I’d be inclined to decide just to take the kids to a play park and put something else in - we are lucky to have lots of play equipment in our garden and I’d say the most popular thing, including on play dates, is a blackboard wall, as there are loads of games they then play on that.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Hi,
    I think the current design lacks a bit of interest. There is no path to the round patio with the pergola. Is that where you wanted the swing?
    How about making a larger patio about there, with a separate play area for the kids, between shed and patio, that has a double wooden swing and wood chip underneath?
    Planting between the different areas to create a feeling of seclusion when you're on the round patio and so you'll also have something more interesting to look at from the house.

Something like this (just a quick sketch)

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Lol, I can see a round person with glasses now I look back at it

Anyway, hope you can see what I mean about creating some seclusion and interest.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Just did a quick google for garden swing in the UK and this site came up and I think it's fab that you can change the kids swings with a swing seat or bench for adults. I mean, it's not cheap, but it's rather beautiful https://www.sittingspiritually.co.uk/trilogy

• peggysue67
    3 years ago

I would get an egg swinging seat or something similar for under the pergola then adults can relax there too with a book and I’m sure the kids would love sitting on it and swinging too. At the current age they could probably both get on at once. You can get them that are suspended from above or you can get the ones that come with their own frame. If you pave the area between that and the playhouse they could use chalk on the paving slabs which will wash off or play skittles and you could have a couple of outdoor beanbags for them to sit on.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.