andrew_baggs

Remodelling ideas for 3 bed semi

Andrew Baggs
3 years ago

Hi looking to remodel our south facing 3 bed semi.

Currently the flow of the house from living room to kitchen downstairs does not work as the door from living room to kitchen is in an awkward position downstairs. It looks like there may be a few different ways to make more usable space in the plan, either by squaring off the front of the property and removing utility to create an L shaped kitchen diner, or alternatively squaring off the rear of the house by extending the living room out about 2m to the level of the current 'snug' off the kitchen.

Added benefit of rear extension would be that it falls under permitted development but would, i suppose require party wall agreement with neighbours. Knocking through the wall between kitchen and living room would allow more light to enter the currently dark kitchen.

The other issue is space upstairs - our hope is that we can get a 4th bedroom in by remodeling the upstairs.

If a 2 story square off at the front is possible then I could see a bedroom in the existing bathroom space (maybe squeeze an en suite to master too) and then move family bathroom to the existing landing space.

I've attached floorplans below, original and a rough idea of what we thought might work - anyone else see any creative ideas that I'm missing?

Comments (9)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.