webuser_804552718

quartz worktop Join

Tracy
3 years ago

Hi, I’ve attached a few pics and wondering what the general opinion is on the joining of my kitchen worktop? Personally, I hate the joint as it is so very obvious.. I have had the fitters back to rectify and it is a lot better than it was, but it still looks awful and a botched job.

obviously, I can’t say anything more until they reopen, but I’ve a feeling nothing more can be done to improve the appearance and make this less noticeable, since they have already tried to grind/file (?) it out 😔

Comments (37)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Absolutely shocking! Did they tell you there'd be a join? And show you how a join would look?

Tracy thanked Ellie
  • Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes I knew they would be a join due to the length of the kitchen but I didn’t expect it to look as bad as it does 😥

I hate it more so as the weeks go on and wanting to ask for them to take it out to buy from somewhere else, but I doubt they will do that and I’ll be stuck with it

theres been no thought and it’s been hoyed on. The edge/front is really obvious because the trim is less than a mm off and it shows up badly.

• lspendl 828
    3 years ago

I think you’re right - that’s not good enough. I have quartz with a join but it’s not that obvious. I would go back to them when life gets back to normal.

Tracy thanked lspendl 828
  • arc3d
    3 years ago

Hi Tracy,

You're right about it being a poor job. They are obviously not pros as they've made no attempt to try and level the two sides.

Done properly the seam is almost invisible. Usually the only way to tell is if there is a slight change in colour or in veining pattern:

The pro's use a machine that levels and then pulls the two halves together. Not sure what its called but if you saw them just eye balling it then don't bother calling them back. Best way to find a pro would be to go to a supplier and ask who they would recommend and ask to see examples of their work.

EDIT: Found the machine. Its called a seam setter. They usually use two. If your guys don't have one, they are just wasting your time:

Tracy thanked arc3d
  • Daisy England
    3 years ago

That joint is appalling. Not acceptable. Unfortunately white worktops tend to show the joint more.

Tracy thanked Daisy England
  • Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks guys, I didn’t want it to seem like I was Someone who likes to complain 😬. its just awkward that I’ve got to point out for a 3rd time that im not happy and again once they reopen to remind them when they call back!

@arc3d the unlevel I can live with, it’s seeing the horrid join on the front that annoys me most, in their store the joins looked perfect, but I suppose if they weren’t they would be out of business.

I will definitely push them on this (as much as I hate confrontation) after reading through your comments - so thank you all; if my husband had his way - it would be to accept that we choose the wrong suppliers/fitters and live with it - and I nearly did but seeing it all the time is driving me mad; fingers crossed I have this sorted soon!

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Hi Tracy,

I would suggest taking the pictures to the manager and say that you were mis sold the product and service.

I have a friend who complained about carpet he had fitted throughout the house. The manager was so upset by the workmanship he had the whole house refitted and refunded the full amount!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t be happy with that, especially considering how much it must have cost. It seems any old Tom, Dick and Harry can sell stone worktops nowadays. Fitting them well is a real art. You do not have to accept this and can I suggest you visit Martin Lewis’s website www.moneysavingexpert.com as he provides a lot of information on complaining of poor quality goods and workmanship.

Tracy thanked Sonia
  • Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@arc3d the manager came with the fitters and returned with another member of staff to ‘rectify’ my issue.

Im all for supporting local businesses but after this I will be more cautious!

in my mind it will need to be taking out and replaced - and I can’t see that happening, it’s disappointing as I’m really happy with the rest of it - where their isn’t a join - but because of the cut on one of the worktops being shoddy it’s ruined the look!

im just relieved it’s not just me that sees this as it is and I’m not being anal about it!!

• arc3d
    3 years ago

I don't think it needs replacing at all. It seems to have been cut well, it's just the fitters aren't skilled enough set it.

I would find pros and get them to redo it. They will take off the adhesive and start again.

In reality its less than 1mm off! It should have been levelled properly then the adhesive is supposed to come out of the gap and then be polished back to make it blend with the surface which your guys clearly haven't done.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

How long is the run of worktop, quartz usually comes in 3m lengths with a few jumbo slabs at 3.2m (ish) when the template was done they should of discussed with you where the joint (if required) was to go, it does look really bad and i'm sure that there could of been a better place to of had the joint (at least where 2 units meet up so its supported and not in the middle of a unit) and it should be flat, you should be able to slide a coin over it without it catching (penny test) and the front should line up.

Tracy thanked Lifestyle Kitchens
  • Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeh it’s one full slab beside another as the length is 4m, the side you can’t see has the cutout for sink and hob;

your also right about the join we both said it is draws your eye to it more so because of that reason

• Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Quick update. The blokes have just left after around 2hrs and have said they will be bk tomorrow to see how it is 😕.

im still not happy and they know this but have said that’s as close as it’ll get - I’m not convinced. But the worktops are now level!

• Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

I see they've shimmed under the worktop to lift up the right hand side but looking at the first pic of the overhead view the front edge is not in line, are they going to rectify that tomorrow and remove the shim. Did your kitchen supplier organise the worktop or did you get your own worktop supplier, also did you pay by a credit card, if you did pay by card you may have extra protection if you're not happy.

• arc3d
    3 years ago

They said "that's as good as it'll get" the last time too! and no doubt they'll say it again tomorrow.

Still not great. The fronts are not aligned. They simply don't have the skills and shouldn't have sold you the service. I would try to get some money back and then go to a pro.

• Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve been in touch with my kitchen fitter who knows some ‘professional’ fitters to come round and give me a quote as the shop is still closed. Hopefully they can help rectify the tops.

I wished I had rang the company I used back to cancel before they fitted; as my kitchen fitter said not to use and use the ones who are now coming to have look - but I didn’t like to and tbh thought they can’t be that bad!!! lesson learnt the hard and expensive way.

I’ll keep you posted before closing the comments , but thank you for all the advice given so far. 😊

• Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I sourced the worktop separately from a company which sells and fits (this is all they sell). your right that is all out of sorts - it doesn’t look as bad as first pictures before today’s visit; as they have rearranged the upstand so not as obvious - I’ve put a folded up piece of paper behind one to straighten it as the joint wasn’t level 🙄 - I’ve done a great job of that considering how they left it 😂

Not looking forward to confronting them tomorrow (was 3 today and little me) but this will be their fourth visit and it’s getting ridiculous - I don’t own a credit card too much temptation, but luckily only paid half on my d-card, but he’ll be cursing me as I’m sure he was on leaving this afternoon 🤨

• Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, been and gone and tbf I think it looks much better but the seam (arg, still not convinced- I thought they would have done a polish, but said no).

now I need to decide whether to keep it as is or ask them to take it out for a refund (As they suggested if I’m not happy,) so I’m waiting on my husband to finish work and get his opinion also

ive been told not to touch for a few hrs and the pack underneath needs to stay in place to stop it from dropping

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

tbh don't know if its the photo, but the filling of the joint doesn't look that great and even, having the shim staying isn't great too, thats why the joint should of gone over the carcase ends as its supported, as it is its going to put pressure on the carcase top rail and the door frame over time,

but with a marble style grained quartz i do think that a joint is always going to be obvious as its such a random pattern.

Tracy thanked Lifestyle Kitchens
  • lspendl 828
    3 years ago

Like Lifestyle Kitchens suggested, the joint filling is a bit rough and ready. I think part of the problem with the whole thing, is the position of the joint - it being midway across a cupboard. Had it been above the place where two cupboards meet it would’ve looked better (I think). I can imagine how disappointed you must be.

• arc3d
    3 years ago

This is the result that pros can achieve on a quartz worktop:

Fill:

Align using seam setter:

Polish:

End result:

Tracy thanked arc3d
  • PRO
    Paul Alexander Kitchens
    3 years ago

Hi Tracy,

I'm so sorry that your having a bad experience. As others have mentioned the original joint is just terrible and any decent stone fabricator would of talked you through where joints would be prior to cutting and they would of also advised you to never have a joint above the door. Joints should always be resting on the carcass edges for support. The reason being (and i don't recommend this) if someone was to kneel on the worktop to get access to the cupboard above, the worktop has the edge of the carcass as support. If you did that on that joint it would more than likely crack.

arc3d - is right, we use a stone company that uses those machines, to level and pull the joint together for a real tight join. They are called a 'Gorilla Grip' a very clever bit of kit.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue one way or the other.

Thanks Paul Alexander Kitchens

Tracy thanked Paul Alexander Kitchens
  • Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@arc3d funnily enough I watched a YouTube video doing exactly this the other day! I’ve talked till I’m blue in the face and I just get a furious look.

oh did I mention they denied touching the unit below? The one that’s been packed - denied all knowledge of touching it (they left a chisel wedged in above my washer!) I’ll be asking them today if they want it bk when I ring as I forgot yesterday after basically being called a lier 😒. my kitchen fitters been round and can adjust the unit so it doesn’t drag when opened but not good! Honestly you couldn’t make the stuff up!!

The company does have great reviews, but like my k-fitter has said they will be doing basic fixing with standard lengths so this will be the reason why.

Thank you all for your comments; I’m waiting on a call out from another company (hopefully today to see how much they will charge to rectify) - I’ll keep you all posted

• Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello 👋

thought it would be nice to share an update of what’s been happening - As much as I couldn’t bare the seam of the worktop I asked a different company to call round to look at whether they could rectify the problem and they said they could but it would never look as it should.

After this i asked my husband to ring the manager who fitted the worktop to ask for a reduced price as we would be paying someone else to come in and make the job right (yep, I bottled it as I hate telephone conflicts) but after a reduced price given wasn’t happy considering I needed my k-fitter back out to remove sink, hob, fix Unit etc. I said I just wanted it removed.

They came this morning and took it away, and gave me a FuLL refund! tbh I am very surprised and can’t fault them with customer service (paid bk on my card)

ive now got who are meant to be the best company around my area coming to fit the same worktop in 2 weeks time. It’s such a relief as this could have went the other way and I doubt very much another company would have gave a full refund if I’m truly honest.

It is thanks to everyone who commented their opinions, so that I didn’t just accept this as a costly mistake and live with the appearance, feels like such a relief And a weight off my shoulders 😊.

hope I’m not bk again in 2 weeks filled with regret, however I doubt it very much 😂

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I think you went for the best solution. Glad you've got a full refund.

Tracy thanked Carolina
  • janet_allen8
    3 years ago

So pleased you pushed through and got the best outcome. Great you’ve got your full refund ... don’t forget to post some pics when it’s finally finished (& hopefully you’ll be very happy 😊)

Tracy thanked janet_allen8
  • Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@janet_allen8 thank you! I’ll post pictures in 2 weeks 😁

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Of course you should have got a full refund! The worktop was not fitted well and it was your statutory right to return it for a full refund, just like any other shoddy product. Hope all goes well with the new fitters. 👍😊

• lspendl 828
    3 years ago

Phew! Great outcome. Hope all goes well next time.

• Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello again!

I have now had the new worktop fitted and I’m really pleased with it :). It looks how I thought it should and the join is where my hob will be fitted (hopefully this afternoon) so not noticeable at all.

The seam looks more obvious in the photo than it does on the eye but in all honestly it’s fab! Thank you all for your comments and advice, appreciated x

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Lovely!

Tracy thanked Carolina
  • lspendl 828
    3 years ago

Fantastic! You must be so glad you stuck to your guns. 😁

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Well done Tracy! Much better. Well done for sticking to your guns and wading through the blood, sweat and tears! 👍

Tracy thanked Sonia
  • Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Tracy - it looks fab! Can I ask - what’s the name of the quartz that you went for? It’s lovely!

Tracy thanked Sarah U-S
  • Tracy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi thank you Sarah, it’s called Avalanche (Quartz 20m).

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.