webuser_296371026

Paint colours for new house....help needed!

Shane O' Connor
4 years ago

Hi all,

Need to decide on colours for our new house quickly (4 bed semi in a new development) and as I am a complete novice looking for some sound advice please. I was hoping to get into some paint shops and get some advice and samples but avoiding as much as possible due to Covid 19. So apologies in advance for all the questions!

Painting will be done by the builder and the only instructions are that we "can pick up to 4 neutral colours from the Dulux range which will be mixed in standard matt". He has suggested that Shale White, Savon Grey, Warm Stove or Tempting Taupe are popular colours so far.

House has an east/west orientation with the front of the house facing (sitting room) east and the back of the house (kitchen) facing west.

I have done some initial research on best colours for west facing kitchen and it seems to suggest that white is a good option maybe with pink undertones? We are going for a Kashmir kitchen with a grey island and white counter tops as shown in the picture below.

We are going for laminate flooring in the hall, sitting and kitchen and I like the one on the left below.

What paint colour would work best in the kitchen with our flooring and kitchen colours?

For the sitting room as it is east facing with the laminate floor above has anybody got some good tips on what might work well? Neutral with shades of green or blue?

For the downstairs bathroom I have read that white is a good option for darker (no window) bathrooms. We will be getting the tile below in the corner on the floor and the wall tile behind the toilet and sink covering half of the wall.

The two bathrooms upstairs will be tiled.

For the hall downstairs and the landing upstairs presume you would go with one colour throughout? Again is a white colour a good option or would grey work equally well?

Finally for the bedrooms would you recommend to go all the same neutral colour initially (as we are limited to 4 paint choices throughout the house) and then we can paint individual rooms afterwards when the 3 kids start demanding their own colours.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.