joanne_tobin91

Lighting help for kitchen diner

Joanne Tobin
4 years ago

We are in the process of renovating our kitchen, including knocking through into the dining room and adding french doors from the dining room to the garden. It's west facing and doesn't get huge amounts of sunlight.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about lighting. We have 3 pendants that will go over the peninsula but otherwise no lighting decisions - although as we are redoing the ceiling, recessed spots seem like a good idea. The kitchen cabinets will be pale grey high gloss, with an oak worktop. Other than the oven cabinet and the freezer/fridge/pantry wall, there are no high cabinets. My main issues are:

• where to place spots
  • centre light in dining area: we tend to move the table depending on season/events/mood so don't necessarily want to be stuck with a pendant light that only works best directly above the table
  • do I need spots interspersed with the pendants over the peninsula (they are heavy ceramic so will likely not cast much ambient light). It will be my main baking/food prep area so light will be important.

(General plan of kitchen - not entirely to scale but gives a good idea of plans. About 30 sq m in total - the long wall with window and french doors is about 7 m)

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.