derek_holland29

Advice on re-design of Kitchen/Diner/Living Room?

D Hodand

We are moving into our first home soon. It is a lovely house and has everything we need for our young family. It does need a lot of cosmetic work though. The biggest challenge is the extended kitchen where we will spend a great deal of our time.

If budget was no limit we would remove all the internal walls by inserting RSJs and add a kitchen island with sink and put a full-width glass door on the back wall. However - that will have to happen a few years down the line. For now we plan on painting the cabinets. Possibly removing a lot of the high cabinets and replacing with an elegant shelf. Painting all the walls white. Replacing the backsplash with some tiles to add colour. We might stretch to replacing the worktop. The floor tiles must stay for now.

Layout wise we intend on putting a dining table in the brightest area near the patio doors, and creating a couch area facing into the 'bottom-left' corner. My wife has an idea of building shelves around the archway to kind of disguise it. We have struggled to come up with a colour scheme that works with the floor tiles, We like white cabinets, white & grey cabinets, white worktops, wood worktops etc. We keep seeing black floors and worktops with all white cabinets and whilst it looks classic we'd prefer something a bit more modern. All suggestions welcome. I have added photos to try and illustrate my ramblings.