topupking

Narrow Kitchen/Diner/Family Room

topupking
last modified: 5 years ago

We're currently planning a kitchen/dining refurb and would like some fresh thinking before we take the plunge! Our current thinking is to keep the existing galley style kitchen on the left hand side of the room shown in the diagram below. There's a bathroom through the door on the left hand side, the main house is through the door via a hall on the right hand side (which has an "adult" reception room!). The door to the garden is on the bottom left of the diagram, the other openings on the bottom of the drawing are windows. Natural light is from the South-East at the "bottom" of the diagram.

The advantage of this open-plan layout is lots of flexible space for 2 adults and 2 toddlers. On the downside, the space is relatively narrow and is likely to feel like one big corridor and of course there is a bathroom right off the bathroom - this isn't a biggie for us. The RHS of the room will have a chair or two, a desk for a computer/gaming and a general children's play area and possibly a piano at some stage. Any thoughts/suggestions?