sam_potter37

Bathroom colour scheme advice

Sam Potter
26 August, 2019

I'm planning to decorate my bathroom around this picture and this bookcase (used as a linen cupboard) which will stretch all across one wall. The bathroom has white sanitaryware and tiles, which I won't be changing anytime soon. I need to choose vinyl flooring (colour and pattern) and a wall (and ceiling?) paint colour. Plus accessories: shower curtain, bath mat, mirror, candles, towels, planters. I'm also planning to change the sink taps and bath panels.
I'd love some ideas please. I'm happy to change the picture frame and paint/strip the cupboard. I'm not sure if I want to go dark, light or colourful.

• Victoria

Pale floor better, and I’m not keen on the brick pier idea either.

• Sam Potter

Hi all, the walls, tiles and ceiling are all going to be white, so the blue floor, brown cupboard with exposed bricks above (and below?) , Moby picture and (eventually) green plants will be the only colour in the room. In this context is the vinyl I've chosen too dark? Plus it's £10.99/m, so big plus there. I do like the star effect one that a couple of you have suggested, particularly Jules mc's, but I was hoping for blue rather than grey, and quite a deep blue to match the picture.
    Re cupboard legs, I have a bit of sleeper left from the raised bed in the garden. I will experiment.

• Related Discussions

Need help for bathroom paint

Q

could you post a pic
    ...See More

Guest bedroom decor advice needed

Q

As the rest of your house is decorated in muted colours with the exception of the bathroom), I would stick with that. Duck egg/pale blues and pale greens or chalky pink would be very restful for bedrooms. Or navy blue looks smart with a neutral scheme.
    ...See More

Need some ideas for my bathroom

Q

East Kent Eco - again thank you for your input. As a pro I wonder if you could offer your thoughts on a couple of scenarios 1 - Leave bath where it is - what would be involved in moving the shower 4-6 inches to the centre of the bath? I did consider the P shaped bath and will consider your suggestion for a shorter bath to allow room for the toilet, but I currently had to put in a door stop to protect the shower door from the entrance door handle and I would be concerned about a rounded door being even closer. If I left the bath where it is I have a couple of options, turning the toilet and cistern 90 degrees to the adjoining wall - see above for the considerations there, or I have also considered switching the toilet and sink. I would put the sink facing the wall where the cistern currently is have a large-ish vanity from the base of the bath to the wall, and the if the toilet was where the sink is it would not interfere with the doors for the hot press as the seat would be considerably lower than the sink is currently thus giving me the better access I want. In this scenario the main issue for me would be the toilet would be facing the entrance door, a bit unsightly but if it gave me the space I want I think I could live with the compromise. 2 - A bit more involved, but I have also considered moving the bath sideways along the short length of the room, shower end over the space where the cistern is currently and moving the sink and toilet to the space where the bath is currently. I think this would allow me room for a vanity and maybe also a tall storage cupboard for the towels and linens currently in the hot press. The obvious concern with this is the shower spray in the direction of the hot press, if I got the storage I needed elsewhere in the bathroom I wouldn't be concerned about those getting wet, but would want to ensure I don't end up with a leak over the stairs. Access would also be an issue if repairs were required for the shower pump or the hot water system. You would have to step into the bath to gain access. Is there a solution to waterproof the cupboard?
    ...See More

Bathroom Colour Combination

Q

Hi Shane, [this article[(https://www.houzz.ie/magazine/6-timeless-colour-schemes-to-future-proof-your-bathroom-stsetivw-vs~65505674) on timeless bathroom colour schemes might be of use to you. I think limestone falls under "mochas, neutrals and white" so has and will age well in terms of trends etc. Would love to hear other's suggestions!
    ...See More
  • Sonia

The blue floor with white walls will look amazing, I feel. Here’s a similar navy with white walls.

• Jonathan

Personally I think you might find an all white bathroom a bit cold and clinical- especially considering your colour use elsewhere in the house.
    If it were mine I would find a floor with blue in it, I would put the same blue on the cabinet and then choose a wall colour that contains red tones (which means aubergine, or some pinks or browns)
    I think there will be plenty of white with the suite and door etc

• Sam Potter

Wow my head's in a spin!
    Rinq thanks so much for all those links. I was surprised how hard it is to find an inky blue.
    Jonathan, you know I almost always follow your advice and never regret it when I do. Sounds like we're on the same page almost. I forgot I was planning to paint the inside of the cupboard the same blue as the floor. The door is staying raw and semi stripped. I love the story it tells about the house. Ditto the old architrave around it. Unless I hate how that looks when it's stripped. Painting walls will possibly be the last thing I do, so plenty of time to ponder it. I'll have a look for some examples.
    Sonia that's pretty much the base look I'm going for, pimped up with huge brown cupboard, stripped brick, art and foliage. I'm even (gulp) going for white towels. In a house where everyone home dyes or bleaches their hair. Madness.

• Emmanuelle

White walls, little brick wall, brown cupboard and blue vinyl... plants etc...very fresh indeed! It’s going to be a treat! Keep your initial ideas! I love the fact you want to keep wood exposed ie: cupboard + door... It will add warmth!

• rinq

Ask yourself if all white is your 'style', if so, please continue to do so. The cabinet and floor will stand out great.

But.. with a floor in at least two tones (like the screenshot Jules posted) you can pick the pale color for the ceiling, for example.

And personally I wouldn't keep exposed brick in a bathroom. Just a wooden back in the cabinet, prbably whe same woodstain or charcoal. (it's your party though!)

• rinq

Cabinet on 'legs':

• rinq

You'll be fine ;)

• rinq

That niche <3 (sorry, just had to share)

Stunning Hall Bathroom- Phoenix · More Info

• minnie101

I agree, I think white would work with the bricks, wood, plants ( and painted bath panel?) . Also not sure what your thoughts re type of bench? I like the navy tile but would be good to see the sample as wondering if the design is a bit small?

i did however after seeing you comment a few weeks back on a burgundy living room find some bathroom photos. They're hard to find but just another idea

• Sam Potter

Rinq thank you SO much! That mock up is awesome. Your niche photo has made me wonder if it might be good to lino the back of the cupboard, for a similar effect.
    The bench has transformed in my head to a stool now. I love the one below, might have to snag it.
    Minnie101 I've been googling aubergine for the last ten minutes too. Which led me to fuschia, which was exciting but maybe a bit much?

• Sonia

Love that little stool Sam and a bargain too! As to the pinks and purples......ahem a bit too Changing Rooms for me :-D

Although I do have a lavender wall in my bedroom.....

• Sonia

My lavender bedroom but the others walls are neutral Egyptian Cotton. Not fashionable but I love it! I dye my hair and I have old towels I use for that. I’d never use my posh ones! I think navy towels would go well in your bathroom so have a few in navy? Just a suggestion.

• Sam Potter

It's the kids Sonia. I use old towels. They use the nearest towel. I thought at least if I had white ones I could bleach them. But l coujd have a few navy ones with alarms on them...
    Picking up that milking stool Friday ;-)
    Minnie101 looking back at the photos you sent I can see your burgundy is very different from the aubergine and fuschia examples I posted underneath. I think I like it. Will get some samples.

• minnie101

They're a bit too bright for me personally. I prefer brown purples or reds which will work with the brick, but it's your room :)

i like the stool. Were you planning on re -using your blanket box? Just wondering if that could go under the window with plants either side then add an upholstered pad and maybe a cushion? With the stool at the end of the bath?

• Sam Potter

... and await the judgement of Jonathan.
    Which is like the judgement of Solomon but less bisection-oriented.

• rinq

I once painted a hallway fuchsia (a friend's mum) with white trim and doors, sisal flooring. Amazing! Though a bathroom should be a little more soothing, don't you think?

Vinyl on the back of the cabinet would be lovely, but probably also way too busy when filled with towels and bottles..

• Marina Drobot

Hi Sam, I think you can add some rustic / nautical (Moby Dick /Victorian style ) to all white, wood and blue floor bathroom by bringing wicker baskets, more wood accessories, like wooden frame mirror, and brass and iron lights, handles etc.

• Marina Drobot

And some fun

• Marina Drobot

Sorry can’t stop now lol

• Marina Drobot

I’m thinking now, what if you paint the wall behind the cabinet blue matching your flooring and white subway tiles on the other walls.

with that effect. the raw wood will look good against the wall and you will have a continuation of the floor up. it will give you depth and height.

• rinq

These shower curtains are fabulous!

• Jonathan

I think your plans are all coming together nicely so there is no judgement.
    And I love most of Marinas suggestions too.
    I have been having a think and this is what I have come up with:
    Parquet style lino
    Brinjal walls and brickwork.
    White ceiling, woodwork, architrave around window and door.
    Keep the cabinet wood but white interior. (Reserving the option to paint the outside midnight black later).

• Jonathan

And I would add a dark blue with restraint by getting a patterned blue blind or towels or both.
    I think the look will be finished off nicely with your pictures to break up the wall colour, Boston ferns for texture and aged gold and mercury glass accessories.
    Of course you know yourself better than me but it dies seem that bold indulgent colours are more you than a white bathroom- plus with the suite and tiles and ceiling there will be plenty of white anyway

• Sam Potter

Jonathan, Oh you. I'm trying to adult here and you're tempting me back to the whacky side!
    Marina, thanks for those inspo pics. I do like the idea of brass and victoriana. I secretly think steam punk is cool but obviously I'm supposed to think it's naff, so I love the sea monsters and the slightly masculine, vintage edge to some of those accessories.
    I'm off to order a sample of the fake parquet. I think it's awful but I'm almost certainly going to love it if Jonathan says I will.

• Jules Mc

Loving all the ideas and input for you here Sam and I particularly like that you think the parquet is awful but are getting a sample now. I'm sure there's a bracelet out there for you ...... WWJD!
    Gonna get one myself!!!

• Sam Potter

Jukes Mc, ha! It has certainly worked for my yard. Jonathan's design is far and away more successful than the garden designer's. Though they have been very generous about acknowledging that.

• Jules Mc

And it's looking impressive already . Meanwhile, I'm still choosing my outfit for the launch party. Will I need a fascinator ? ;-)

• Sonia

Go with your heart Sam. If you love it, then it’s the right choice. When I asked Houzzers for help choosing a colour for my living room walls I was rather overwhelmed by all the different answers so I got lots of samples and match pots and finally made my choice, just as you are doing. Sometimes I wished I’d never asked lol! :-D

• Sam Potter

Jules Mc I'll send the dress code out with the hold the dates. Obviously the formal invitations will be delivered by a liveried footman. In Latin.

• Jules Mc

Sending a picture so you know what I look like. That me on the right BTW!!

• Sam Potter

Jules Mc, bonnet on fleek there.

• Jules Mc

Ah thanks Sam, it's Elephant's breath and the outfit is Stiffkey Blue!

• Jules Mc

ps... Haven't even had a drink.... Yet!!

• rachelmidlands

Hi Sam. Am I too late for the party?;) Nothing much to add as I’m a bit clueless with bathrooms. But I’ve been watching this thread with interest and loving everyone’s ideas and I’ve no doubt you’ll come up with something that is uniquely your style:) Love the milking stool, perfect for popping a glass of champers on whilst having a soak:). Ooh...how about a steampunk toilet roll holder!

• Sam Potter

Jules Mc ha that is probably the Houzzest thing anyone has ever said. I may name my goldfish Farrow and Ball.

• Sam Potter

Rachelmidlands that's awesome. Though bf has seen a hollowed out fire extinguisher toilet toll holder he wants to recreate, and I am pretending it's an excellent idea and hoping he'll forget.

• Marina Drobot

Johnathan, Brinjal N 222!, what a gorgeous colour. it will look amazing with wood cabinet, brass and wood flooring.

Sam, have you chosen your bathtub and fixtures yet? are you tiling any part of the bathroom?

• Sam Potter

Hi Marina
    The bath is second hand. Not many pics of it, but we are assured its pristine. Picking it up on Saturday. We're not taking the taps and we were going to go for the ones pictured below, though if you suggest brass or black I'm interested... Though the existing chrome shower over the bath is staying for now. It's plumbed into the wall and works fine.
    No luck finding a sink and vanity second hand yet so we may have to go with b&q's cheapest floor mounted vanity with a 600mm wide rectangular basin on top.
    We're revamping the existing tiles with new grout and replacing any broken ones. Square tiles are hip again. Metro are over I tell you.
    Bf is going to tile the bath panels too.

• Marina Drobot

what kind of shower screen does the bathroom come with?

for the sink you can get a wall mounted one with an chrome bottle trap

or traditional metal washstand

• Sam Potter

Hi Marina
    As I recall (he's removed the advert now) it was a plain glass one. Not bifold, but if I don't like it we'll revert to a curtain. Other half is keen on glass screens but I prefer a curtain. We'll see. Other half has more influence on this room because he's installing it and lending me the money for it (we don't live together yet but he's here a lot).
    Hmm not keen on that kind of sink. They look great but theyre hard to keep clean, and no storage. Plus the waste pipe would be visible as it isn't built into the wall. I intend to keep less aesthetic items under the sink (bleach, sanitary products, daughter's weird home made facepacks) and put the toilet rolls and posh smellies in the fancy new cupboard, along with all the fancy new linen I'm going to treat us all to.

• rinq

You're buying a NEW vanity to go next to your cabinet??

Sure? ;)

• Sam Potter

Yup, that's the plan Rinq. One big focus of attention and everything else white and plain.

• rinq

Ah, I get it. Sounds good to me!

Would still recommend painted real wood though, for texture and authenticity.

• Sam Potter

Rinq, I agree re real wood. But the sink above, with vanity, taps etc, is £40. If I see something amazing in future I can always replace it.

• Sam Potter

Legs! Which will be clad in cupboard wood eventually

• Sam Potter

Decisions, decisions...
    NB the exposed brick wall is now going to get plastered, after the leak in the roof is fixed. And I'm going to looking into some of the suggested darker colours for the plastered bits. Still going with white tiles and sanitaryware.

• rinq

Wood:

+ calm and serene

+ combines with just about any color

+ goes well with the cabinet

+ can add navy to the back wall

- perhaps a little boring with just whites

Pattern:

+ instant fun

+ not much extra color needed

- not calm and serene

- slightly more difficult to combine with other colors

Other suggestions?

(When my kitchen customers are in doubt, I always say a bucket of paint is cheaper than a kitchen/countertop/splashback. With the proper basics, etc. etc..)

• Sam Potter

All true Rinq. I have a while to think about it, as there's plastering to do, a bit of tiling, sink and bath to install etc, before I need to make a decision. I reckon the 'wood' is more in tune with a slightly louche, jules verne style victorian feel. The 'tile' is a more bright and hygenic look.