suzyr

Where to start with a project? Builder or architect for ideas?

suzyr
4 years ago

Hi, we want to adapt some of the space in our 30s semi to better suit our needs now and in future. We don't need any extra habitable space as it's just two of us, we just want to reconfigure the existing space to incorporate a utility area and a storage/workroom. We also have a few other things that need doing including new and possibly bigger windows, and finally a new bathroom. We don't know where to start and having a fixed budget, we certainly want to ensure we get the best solution we can for our spend. Should we just get a few builders in for ideas/quotes, or do they expect the client to know exactly what they want from the get-go? Or would we be better getting an architect to come and see and give us some ideas. I'm not sure our budget would stretch to an entire architect-led building project, but I wondered if it's possible just to pay for a few hours of their time to get some ideas on what is possible. Has anyone else gone down this route and can advise?

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.