claude667

Anyone successfully taken a builder to the small claims court?

Claudia Cooper
4 years ago

Sadly, I think that's the way we're heading.

I've read up on it and I think I have a good case but would be interested to hear feedback/advice from others

Comments (8)

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

What was the reason?

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

Ah I remember now. I thought I recognised your name. Was it the flooring? I presume you got back in touch with the builder and they refused to rectify the problem?

• Claudia Cooper
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's many things. Just a general poor job and I no longer - due to lack of faith - want them to put things right, so will have to pay others to fix it

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

You don’t have a leg to stand on if you don’t give them the opportunity to rectify the problem.

• Claudia Cooper
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They have had opportunities and have either failed to fix the problem or made it worse. Everything I'm unhappy with I have raised. Some things they've attempted to rectify, others they've refused

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

If you had more than one job carried out by them couldn’t you have stopped them before they continued with further work? Why did you choose that particular company? Have they offered to correct the errors?

I think you will find that a Court will want you to ask the original builder to return to correct errors so have you got paperwork to say that what they’ve done is wrong?

By the way the finish on the flooring was dire. I wouldn’t have expected that or accepted it either.

• Claudia Cooper
    Original Author
    4 years ago

it was a kitchen extension and downstairs refurbishment - so it included plumbing, decorating, flooring etc. The company were a recommendation, they're FMB members, I checked the membership was valid. I viewed a job they'd previously done, so I did everything you're meant to do in choosing a builder

• emma_howard_1993
    last year

I am in a similar situation with an FMB registered builder who has done an awful job. Just waiting for him to try and rectify things now and going through the FMB procedure. How did you get yours sorted? Did you go to the small claims court?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.