ribena_drinker

Table cloths - a random question.

Ribena Drinker
13 June, 2019

I want to make two table cloths (because I couldn't find any in the exact colour I wanted) for my extendable garden table.

Random question, but how much overhang should I allow - how much wider and longer than the table do they need to be?

I don't want them with so much overhand the tablecloth gets caught up in folks' legs and pulled around, but I also don't want them to look stingey and too small. What I really want is them to look like the baby bears porridge - just right!

I was thinking about 20cms overhang all round, so 40cms added to the length and the width, what do you think?

• Carolina

Can I be a rebel and suggest placemats? Or runners that go between two people opposite each other? With a 20 cm overhang each side? Just seems more suitable for a garden table than a full cloth

Ribena Drinker thanked Carolina
  • minnie101

I would say about 15cm. It does depend on the table though, I've got a farmhouse one in my kitchen and the top and side bit measure 16cm so I'd go a bit longer to cover the side so just the legs are on show

Ribena Drinker thanked minnie101
    colourhappy

I would say 15cm ish.

Ribena Drinker thanked colourhappy
  • kikiamack

I’d say 15-20cm is fine. If you have a heavy parasol you may want to keep it as 2 separate halves joined by Velcro.

Ribena Drinker thanked kikiamack
  • rachelmidlands

Best way to do it (only know because I made a couple myself) is to sit at the table and measure distance from top of table to your legs but don’t forget to add an inch or so for the hem. Double this then then add it to the width & length of the table top. Easy! :-) Plastic curtain eyelet or parasol ring if you have a parasol.

Ribena Drinker thanked rachelmidlands
  • rinq

I'd say 30cm on two sides and none on the others. I don't like the frolly edges of tablecloths.

If the fabric is quite thick 15cms will not be enough to make the fabric hang down.

Ribena Drinker thanked rinq
  • Ribena Drinker

Carolina, the table isn't the best looking so I would rather hide it under a table cloth!

Plus, I've got this fabric to make padded place mats that matches cushion covers I've made:-

If I have any left over though, I am considering making a table runner with it. The table cloth will be a bright lime green.

• Carolina

Oh, cool! I like that fabric

OnePlan

Lovely fabric !! Can you just drape it over the ends and see what suits ? I’d expect somewhere between 15-25cm overhang would work - I’d be very impressed if it were the same overhang on sides as well as ends - so may be dependent on your fabric width ?