becs_lee1

Do I need an architect?

Rebecca J
5 years ago

We're buying a house that needs a total internal reconfiguration. On the ground floor we would be removing some partition walls, a structural wall (so getting RSJ fitted) and moving bathroom location, with the associated replumbing. Upstairs will be moving partition walls, putting in a new bathroom and a couple of velux windows.

We know we will need building regs for the wall & windows. My husband is a structural engineer so can take care of the structural calculations. Do we need an architect for the rest or is it possible to submit a plan without? My husband can do technical drawings etc, and we know the layout we want, so we don't require a 'design' as such - but do need it to get through the planners. I know this is a silly question, but for an internal remodel, what are the benefits of using an architect?

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.