webuser_17016310

Sickly Honeysuckle

HU-17016310
5 years ago

Hi Fellow Gardeners!

Would you please advise me on my sickly honeysuckles? They have very few leaves. The vines haven’t branched or filled in with foliage and the few leaves that form curl up as shown in the pics.

Also, can climbers like honeysuckle, clematis and hydrangea cling to fence panels like that of my new fence? Each panel is about 3.5cm wide.

Comments (3)

• Sonia
    5 years ago

If you are in the UK then it is still strictly winter verging onto spring and most plants look a bit miserable, despite the few warm days we’ve had. Honeysuckle can get leggy and woody over time so you could prune it back to 3-4 feet, cutting just above a leaf node. It will soon grow..

Honeysuckle and Clematis are twiners and will need something to climb up such as trellis, obelisks or an arbour/arch. Climbing Hydrangeas have suckers rather like ivy so will self cling to a fence or building.

• HU-17016310
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Do you think the fence panels are too thick to be used as a trellis at 4cm?

• Sonia
    5 years ago

Traditionally trellis is attached to a fence or wall to provide something for plants to climb up. There are so many types of trellis from traditional wooden squares to bespoke metal structures that are like sculptures with a price to match. Sometimes trellis is used as a fence to divide up sections of a garden as in the last image. Here are a few images of the more traditional type

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.