king1086

Kitchen Backsplash for apartment with high heat and oil cooking

Kim L
5 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what material to use for a kitchen backsplash for my apartment. I do daily cooking using high heat and oil (searing meats on pans with oil, sauteeing veggies, etc). Below is how the kitchen looks with black granite countertops. What material should I use that'll fit design wise and practicality wise for our cooking style? Looking for something easy to clean with all the oil. Also, should I put backsplash behind the microwave or the section of the stove where the black granite is, or where the fridge is? Thanks in advance!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    W.E. Davies + Sons Remodeling Inc.
    5 years ago

Because this is a rented apartment, we suggest using a metal or glass removeable backsplash: https://www.menards.com/main/buying-guides/paint-buying-guides/peel-stick-backsplash-buying-guide/c-1476477322980.htm

Yes, put the backsplash behind the range. There is no need to put it directly behind the fridge or microwave.

Kim L thanked W.E. Davies + Sons Remodeling Inc.
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

You already have a granite backsplash, so I would just paint with washable paint. If you want to take that granite 4" backsplash down & tile I would go with glossy ceramic tile or glass panels would look good here.

Kim L thanked mark_rachel
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Or just put up a sheet of stainless steal behind your range & call it a day.

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

I sincerely hope the range has a real "vented-to-the-outside" exhaust. If it does not, be prepared to lose your security deposit.

• Kim L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's not a rented apartment. I own the condo unit.

• Kim L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm leaning towards ceramic or glass but do I have to take the 4" backsplash down?

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

ceramics or glass; and yes it's best to take the 4" backsplash down if you install another one

• Kim L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

is that for aesthetic reasons? I'd prefer not to take down the 4" granite if functionally it's okay.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Get rid of the 4” splash. Sheet stainless will be easy to keep clean.

Get rid of the OTR and put in a real hood with some capture area and air flow. Or you are going to ruin all of the finishes in the apartment.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The word "apartment" does not necessarily mean rented. An apartment can be owned. The granite or a ceramic tile

• Deb Zilch
    5 years ago
    why grout? a pain. stainless, but there are newish kitchens with 4, and something above.
  • Donna E
    5 years ago

You don't need to take off your granite backsplash. It has gone out "of style" with the most kitchen-focused folks here, but it's fine and I'm sure very functional. You can just add something behind your stove. A stainless sheet sounds like a good idea.

• formeryankee
    5 years ago
    Jan Moyer, she was emphasizing that it was a Condo that she owns because someone said she was renting the apartment.
  • Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Stainless would be my choice in the areas likely to get oil splatters.
  • PRO
    Eden Mosaic Tile
    5 years ago

Have you considered using a stainless steel tile for your backsplash to bring together your black countertops and stainless steel appliances? After your cooking is done, we recommend using only soap and (warm) water or a mild detergent with a soft sponge to clean the tiles, with a dry wipe at the end. We invite you to check out these customer installations and our selection of tiles to give you some ideas.

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: River Rock Pattern Mosaic Stainless Steel Tile · More Info

Eden Mosaic Tile installations: Cobble Stainless Steel With Silver Glass Tile · More Info

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Modern Cobble Pattern Stainless Steel Tile · More Info

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Stainless Steel Bricks/Gray Basalt Stone Tile · More Info

We are a premium online supplier of metal mosaic tiles for backsplash and other wall applications. If you are looking for ideas, feel free to browse our customer installations for metal backsplash ideas:

http://www.houzz.com/projects/72838/eden-mosaic-tile-installations

You can also check out our Houzz store at:

https://www.houzz.com/pro/edenmosaictile/eden-mosaic-tile

We offer the possibility to receive samples.

Good luck with your kitchen design!

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Stainless steel backsplash would look good and practical
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    I would use slab granite or quartz for both the counters and the backsplash...minimal seams....for the easiest wipe-down when cleaning.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    A range hood with an exhaust vent expelling smoke and smells to the outside through the wall or roof is the best ventilation system. A microwave with a vent simply recirculates the air/smoke/smells/grease. If your apartment kitchen has another unit above and no exterior wall, a proper exhaust may not be possible.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.