minipie

Stripping Victorian doors for repainting - best method?

minipie
5 years ago

As part of refurbishing our Victorian house I'd like to get the original 4 panel doors stripped and repainted (professionally not DIY). At the moment they are all painted white but with (I expect) decades of layers of paint on, so the paint cracks and chips very easily and is also quite lumpy in places.

I don't know what kind of wood they are underneath but would presume pine. There is one ornately carved one which I guess might be a hardwood.

I've read mixed things about dipping - some say the doors will fall apart afterwards, some say it's ok if you reglue the joints , others say it's fine without reglueing...? Is heat stripping a safer option? Also how do the costs stack up - we have a lot of doors to do...

Thanks!

Comments (10)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.