keswing

Extension help which style should I go with? Picture 1, 2 or 3

keswing
last year

Please help!

We hadn’t fully realised the consequences of having a ‘warm roof’ L and now there is a huge amount of block work above our picture windows and sliding door (see pictures) We’ve spoke with the builder to see if the height can be reduced but that is not an option, so we now need to decide how to finish off the walls and roof. Should we take the render as high as possible with a small lip at the top as in Picture 1 or have large grey PVC fascia’s as in Picture 2 or a bit of both (Picture 3)? Neither picture reflects what we’d initially visualised but we need to move on and make the most of what we have so views and or suggestions would be great. Need to let him know by Monday!!

By the way the windows and doors will be anthracite grey and the render an off white/cream, the roof is a anthracite grey fibre glass.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

• PAL
    last year
    Hi, I think option 1 looks best. Could you give more details on your fibreglass roof... planning a similar style extension myself and still working out which roof type we prefer. Other thoughts have been EPDM.
    keswing thanked PAL
  • keswing
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you. I'm sorry I don't have specific details for the fibre glass roof. We do however have one at the front over the porch so were trying to match up, it was done about 4 years ago and we're very happy with it to date. To be honest we went with what we knew and didn't investigate further.

• fran11home
    last year
    For me, picture 1 would make the extension too dominant. It works well in the picture because the house is rendered. Picture 2 is brick house, as yours I believe, this would be my choice.
    keswing thanked fran11home
  • keswing
    last year

Hi, thanks for your message. Ours extension will be rendered with an off white/cream monocouche, but yes the house is brick built.

• PAL
    last year
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. Having seen the pic of your porch and brick home. I have to agree with Fran and say that pic 2 mm at be better suited. It also looks more like your front porch finish too. Think I will look into the fibreglass option thanks.
    keswing thanked PAL
  • Carolina
    last year

I prefer pic 3. Pic 2 looks a bit like the lid is too big for the box.

keswing thanked Carolina
  • minipie
    last year

I much prefer option 1, the most elegant.. Depending on the style of doors you have chosen you could match the size of the lip on top with the width of your door frames.

keswing thanked minipie
    Stephen Newell Architects
    last year

Option 1 is definitely the one to go for. The heavy roof in the others competes unsympathetically with the glazing.

keswing thanked Stephen Newell Architects
  • keswing
    last year

Thanks everyone, with option 1 would you suggest that the lip at the top is the fibre glass moulded over or plastic soffit which the fibreglass butts up to?

• Tani H-S
    last year
    I will just point out that I like 1 in general.

However, one of the other options has a slight overhang ie the box section sticks out from the wall and i think that’s because some will have lights running under the lip (like ours will have) to light up the porch area.
    So it really depends if you are having it flat (option 1 looks best and more elegant) or intend on boxing it out to put lighting in?
    keswing thanked Tani H-S
    Stephen Newell Architects
    last year

Either a parapet upstand with a neat anthracite colour aluminium capping (but the wall would then be a little higher) or a neat fibreglass drip over a perimeter timber fillet to stop rainwater pouring off the edge. It is presumed that there are rainwater outlets somewhere else.

• sksj1
    last year
    Picture one looks classier, picture 2 looks like cheap facia.
    keswing thanked sksj1
  • Ribena Drinker
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have to say, I'm leaning towards option 1.

As I may have mentioned in the past, I suspect the trend for grey and anthracite windows/doors/sofitts etc will end sooner or later and what folks will find is they're left with external features that date a house but would be expensive to fix. And whilst I like the look of the grey now, I also remember liking the dark wood windows in the late 80s at the time, but now think they date a property. :-/

(sorry to offend anyone who may have them).

keswing thanked Ribena Drinker
  • keswing
    last year

Thanks everyone for your comments, we've decided to go with Picture 1! Stephen Newell Architects what size fibreglass drip would you suggest?

Tani, we have already debated privately soffit lighting versus wall mounted lighting and decided to go with wall mounted up and down lights so thankfully option 1 will work nicely.

Yey, a decision!

Stephen Newell Architects
    last year

The minimum the roof installer is happy with from a functional point of view. Probably 75mm or so, dependant on his weathering detail.

• jbtanyderi
    last year
    #1 is the most in keeping with the rest of the house.
    keswing thanked jbtanyderi
    Origin - Doors and Windows
    last year
    last modified: last year

I like all the options but number 1 is my favourite.

We may be able to help- please take a look at our bi-folds here: http://bit.ly/origin-bifold-configure-and-buy

Thanks, Robyn

keswing thanked Origin - Doors and Windows