jayna_mistry

Black layer of “paint”(?) underneath topcoat

Jayna Mistry
6 years ago
Hello there,

I wonder if the Houzz hivemind has seen instances of this?

I had some surface level mildew in a small corner of my lounge, which I have just gone to scrub, but having scrubbed off the top layer of white emulsion, I have found a whole lot of black that I am sincerely hoping is not mould! (See photos attached.)

Please help me put my mind at ease! This is an external wall, but I have scrubbed another wall (internal this time) and I find a similar blackness to that wall too, on top of the plaster but under accumulated layers of previous owners’ paint.

For info: I’m in a second floor flat, 1950s build.

Any help or words of placation would be appreciated!

Comments (4)

• Jayna Mistry
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Also, it’s probably worth mentioning that it isn’t a damp room and I have suspiciously little mould elsewhere in the flat, just this small corner!
  • honeypoppet
    6 years ago

Hi Jayna,

It's probably best to get a professional in to be honest, it does look rather suspicious and you don't want to be living around black mould if that's what it is. However, it could be something else, it almost looks like soot or fire damage?

I really would get someone in who knows what they're doing though, even if just to set your mind at ease.

Good luck!

• Sarah W
    6 years ago
    I don’t think this is it as you have said it is over the plaster but I will mention just in case it triggers a thought - we’ve just had a damp proof course put in and it is a black sandy colour. It was then skimmed over with normal plaster.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Get a damp meter, they're not expensive. Test the area to see what the readings are. It could be old mould...............it's definitely mould. If it's dry to the touch then it's ok. However, if the damp meter shows moisture, you would be best advised to strip back all the wallpaper, wash the walls with anti-mould spray. If it is damp then you would need someone in to investigate why. Sometimes it's just simply down to poor ventilation, nothing more sinister than that.

But...............yes, do get it investigated

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.