bambi9

Which bathroom layout....

Bambi T
6 years ago

current layout below. (master bedroom at front in bay room

we are thinking of widening it slightly to make it bigger. plus that corridor is a bit tight.....thinking about the below idea. Trying to avoid it feeling like an en-suite, just in a corner.

We will need a door somewhere between the kitchen (back wall) and the hallway for fire regs.

thoughts welcome! thanks in advance x

Comments (53)

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

pls ignore the rest of the house plan but the measurements are correct!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Are the other rooms currently arranged as per your plan? Is the kitchen bottom right? I would have thought it would be nearer the bathroom. I'd like to see a plan of how everything is with the room usage. Moving water sources and drains is the first port of call.

I don't like the corridor through the second bedroom, it makes furniture placement very difficult.

So, drains and water permitting, something more like this:-

I would however, as I mentioned earlier rather see a plan of the whole thing as is with current room usage marked,. anything else is just guess work.

• Related Discussions

Need some ideas for my bathroom

Q

Comments (13)
    East Kent Eco - again thank you for your input. As a pro I wonder if you could offer your thoughts on a couple of scenarios 1 - Leave bath where it is - what would be involved in moving the shower 4-6 inches to the centre of the bath? I did consider the P shaped bath and will consider your suggestion for a shorter bath to allow room for the toilet, but I currently had to put in a door stop to protect the shower door from the entrance door handle and I would be concerned about a rounded door being even closer. If I left the bath where it is I have a couple of options, turning the toilet and cistern 90 degrees to the adjoining wall - see above for the considerations there, or I have also considered switching the toilet and sink. I would put the sink facing the wall where the cistern currently is have a large-ish vanity from the base of the bath to the wall, and the if the toilet was where the sink is it would not interfere with the doors for the hot press as the seat would be considerably lower than the sink is currently thus giving me the better access I want. In this scenario the main issue for me would be the toilet would be facing the entrance door, a bit unsightly but if it gave me the space I want I think I could live with the compromise. 2 - A bit more involved, but I have also considered moving the bath sideways along the short length of the room, shower end over the space where the cistern is currently and moving the sink and toilet to the space where the bath is currently. I think this would allow me room for a vanity and maybe also a tall storage cupboard for the towels and linens currently in the hot press. The obvious concern with this is the shower spray in the direction of the hot press, if I got the storage I needed elsewhere in the bathroom I wouldn't be concerned about those getting wet, but would want to ensure I don't end up with a leak over the stairs. Access would also be an issue if repairs were required for the shower pump or the hot water system. You would have to step into the bath to gain access. Is there a solution to waterproof the cupboard?
    ...See More

Adding a tub to a small bathroom

Q

Comments (3)
    We also bought our house before babies - but I can now tell you they usually are mainly in the tub yrs1-8 maybe even 10 or 11! We opted to put both a tub (with an electric shower) and a walk-in shower / wet room type arrangement in the main bathroom. Seems like a lot in 1 place but works for us.
    ...See More

help with bathroom layout and decor?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi there we are knocking two toilets into one bathroom. Trying to do this with as little work as possible so therefore trying not to change layout of original showers toilets etc. Will this layout work and also what do Houzz think of some if my decor ideas?
    ...See More

new bathroom layout

Q

Comments (0)
    Can anyone advise me, is this bathroom layout ok? Knocking two shower room/toilets into one bathroom. The red is the wall being knocked. The shower will be going behind the toilet. If all the plumbing remains the same it would’ve more cost effective. However if there is a better option Please let me know.
    ...See More
  • A B
    6 years ago

What are you planning to do with the space before it opens out into the living/dining area?

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Good question Jen! It's a weird transitional space at the moment. Was thinking bookshelf and a chair in the corner but I just think we can do better.... not sure how! We do want to make that bathroom bigger though.

We have already moved the kitchen to bottom right - Please ignore the yellow tinted Floorplan!
  • Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Man Around the house - thanks for your idea but we can't knock that wall.

this is exactly how the flat is now. love your idea though!

knocking an ensuite wall is a possibility where you mention, although there's also the possibility of squeezing an ensuite into the (massive) master bedroom 1.

thanks

• A B
    6 years ago

I think that space will be quite dark, and I can't imagine it being used much. I think I'd put either a laundry room or another bathroom perpendicular to your current one. You could still have a wall for bookshelves, or a small corner desk?

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Can we clarify what are you actually trying to achieve? The original post was just to change the En-Suite. Do you want 2 beds and 2 baths, or do you want to keep 3 beds?

Also, with regards the Fire regs.............as the Flat currently has no doorway access from the kitchen to the front, why does it need it now? I imagine this is why you may have thought about putting 3 doors in bedroom 2,

With regards the pesky wall in the middle.........wondering if that's at all amendable ie put a doorway in it? I'd definitely check that out. I can't think why you couldn't.

Just a little confused.

I think i'd be wanting to keep the 3 beds for value, but re-configure to use to the max the space as is. Thus, how about this one:-

Bambi T thanked User
  • PRO
    BathroomsbyDesign
    6 years ago
    Hi Steff,

Seems a very sensible suggestion from Man About the House. Having a master en suite as well will add value to your property and being backed into the main bathroom will be easy to get your feeds and wastes. It still leaves a good sized second bedroom and ample space in your living room.
    If u would like detailed 3d designs of your bathrooms we have our own 3d & VR software. We can provide a complementary online design consultation or from our showrooms in Richmond and Brentford.
    Once we have created your designs you can view them at your convenience from our BathroomsByDesign VR app (IOS and Android)
    We delivery anywhere in the UK.
    Good luck, here to help.
    Best Regards
    Sam
    Bambi T thanked BathroomsbyDesign
  • Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi

Thanks for your comments! we can't knock that wall because its load bearing and we are in a ground floor flat so we would need party wall agreements which will cost a bomb with 3 flats above and 2 next door. we did knock the back wall into an Lshape, . though, but that was ok because it;s only holding up the roof on our extension. This rules out knocking a doorway into the bathroom from the bay room to create en en-suite, although we could plonk one in the corner of that bay-bedroom.

Would like to keep 3 bedrooms as we have 2 babies. The bathroom now is tiny so need to make it bigger (there's a 1500mm bath in there now).

So solutions without knocking the wall seems to be the below photo. We will budge the stud wall of the bathroom back a tad to make the corridor wider...?! Does it look okay just like that in the corner? Adding a utility cupboard next to it is a good idea as a few have suggested... thanks!!

how we bought it....

the plan:

(already knocked the wall to make Lshape, changed bathroom into bedroom)

thanks!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

So, working within the constraints of not moving the load bearing wall. I would have gone for something like this. Which, gives you a large family bathroom, and, a much larger bedroom 3 ( which at present is very tiny ).

It's not an ideal layout, and the flat could have been better in reality had everything been thought about initially. However, I understand that when you have two small children, that you can't have everything at once, and bit by bit is nearer to achievable.

You should always plan right at the beginning however, so that future building work can be achieved without amending phase 1, 2 etc

Still, it is what it is..........hopefully, this one might work.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    This looks familiar - was there another thread about this Home ?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    Yup .... https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/floorplan-change-2-to-3-bed-flat-dsvw-vd~4734994

I posted on the other one - it’s moved on since then I see !
  • PRO
    Designer-Walls & More
    6 years ago

Stick to the original design, its practical, its how you put it together now, don't over do it, keep it simple and stylish, remember tiles are the carrier of all the other candy in the bathroom, wall mounted furniture, wc create the impression of more floor space, don't put taps on the bath, keep it clean, fill with a valve and divertor, overflow filler etc

Bambi T thanked Designer-Walls & More
  • Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OnePlan - thanks yes i did like your idea a lot. however we can't touch that wall where you've put french doors :( i made this thread as this one was was how to make the bathroom bigger in the space that it is currently is in rather than redesign the whole house (as we have already done the Lshape and moved the kitchen to the back doors now, because of ventilation issues with the extractor fan we couldn't put the kitchen where (oneplan) has suggested!) So we can't knock any walls now as we discovered the party wall issue in flats.

So seems like most are suggesting a door to the living room from the second bedroom, i thiiiink I'd rather the corridor and tiny room than the bedroom coming straight off the lounge???

Man about the house & Carolina - you suggested the same design but unfortunately we can't knock that wall either in the tiny room to make it bigger. I suppose we could try and incorporate that wall into the tiny room somehow.... wardrobe?!

thanks so much for your advice everyone!

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Man about the hosue - out of interest... what would you have done initially?! see [https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/floorplan-change-2-to-3-bed-flat-dsvw-vd~4734994[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/floorplan-change-2-to-3-bed-flat-dsvw-vd~4734994) thanks so much, your ideas are brilliant.

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    After looking again at knocking down walks..... turns out it's fine to knock doorways, but not entire walls. So I guess doorways ARE an option now. Sorry to have been misinformed!
  • PRO
    BathroomsbyDesign
    6 years ago

Being a (biased) bathroom designer I'd suggest increasing the size of the bathroom to 2685mm x 3410mm as shown attached

- this uses some redundant corridor space and would open up all sorts of possibilities for a spacious bathroom with bath, separate shower/wet room and double basin. As it's the only bathroom in the property a double basin would be useful for the tooth brush run.

• PRO
    BathroomsbyDesign
    6 years ago

In that case a separate en suite backed onto the family bathroom and reducing the size of the 2nd bedroom to access the lounge may be worth considering

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

In that case did you like this one or are you thinking to change bedroom three as well now?

Bambi T thanked User
  • Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I guess ideally we'd squeeze an ensuite or second bathroom in somehow.... And a bigger third bedroom! Am I dreaming!? Thanks all!!
  • Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Without bedroom access from the lounge...... :)
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago
    Can utility cupboard and bathroom be bedroom 3 and move bathroom back to where it was...seeing you might now also have an ensuite.?
    Bed 3 then accessed from hall, just as the ' new bathroom ' shows ?

Doesn't have to be a big family bathroom , due to ensuite in flat now.
    Can just be a bath and shower over, loo and vanity.
    Bambi T thanked kiwimills
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I think if i had the time over, i'd would have gone for something like this:-

So, maybe take some of this and amend what's already been done? Have you already changed bedroom 3? Sorry, not sure anymore, So many posts to go through.

Bambi T thanked User
  • Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

wehave already ripped out the old bathroom in bed3. Bedrooms have to have a window so bed2 won't work in your idea but that would be ideal otherwise! also we have already moved the kitchen to the bottom right next to the bifolds....

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

(we are end of terrace)

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

or like this? yellow is windows....

• kiwimills
    6 years ago

Yep, saves cutting up bed 2. Will the bathrooms just have fans ? No natural light ?

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I guess it will have to have no natural light. Otherwise the bedroom has to be on the walls with the windows in it! Ok. We will see about costs. So either one big bathroom there or split in 2..... ideally.....

Thanks soooooo much everyone!!!
  • Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I think I'd rather have the third bedroom smaller than the entrance from a bedroom to the lounge, if that's seemingly the choice in designs here. But great suggestions :0)
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago

Bed three..or office is small. If someone wants it for a nursery or kids room / 2 nd tv room etc they can have it.. Lots of options. Bed 1 &2 are decent sizes and I would def put an ensuite in if you can. Bed 3 will always be tiny. How it is. But maximise value somewhere else ( ie 2 bathrooms if poss) good wardrobes etc.

Great job though !!

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much!! X
  • A B
    6 years ago

It's really coming along! Will bed 3 fit a bed/wardrobe in? Will it be a bedroom for the whole of childhood or just the first few years?

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes finally we have a plan! Bed3 has enough room for a slim single bed... and we'll use the little bit if room in the corner to make a built in shelves. Practically for us, we'd use it for a cot & chair so I guess it serves that purpose! I'd say until the kids can share a room but we have a boy and a girl! They will probably share the play space in bed2.
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago
    For now it's fine. You might move to something bigger later.
    We had / have one of these. Was for 5 yr old..now she is 15 it's moved to study!
    Bookcase, wardrobe , drawers , desk etc
    1x2 mets.
    Might work OK in your space. Room to still play on floor...
    And still drawer on desk.
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago
    Draw on desk *
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Last ditch attempt at making bedroom 3 larger and more usable for the future, plus an En-Suite and main bathroom.

• minnie101
    6 years ago

To the inexpert eye you seem quite limited now the kitchen has moved and the lack of windows. Am I right in saying the door wall of bed 3 is also load bearing? I think I would go with Hugh's plan posted on Thursday but lose the utility cupboard (i.e. Move the bathroom up) so you're not cutting into bed 2 with a corridor. I think there's the room (?) and the coat cupboard would be very useful

• PRO
    BathroomsbyDesign
    6 years ago

Hi Stef,

Out of all the options I'd say man about House's plan with the coat and utility cupboard with 2 bathrooms is the best layout. I'd make the coat cupboard 1000mm wide by 750mm deep and utility cupboard 1000mm wide and deep. This would give you space to have a shower bath in the main bathroom (important to keep a bath in the property) and shower in the en suite.

if you need any help in
    designing your bathroom(s), I’d be delighted to help, it’s a
    very interesting project. We offer a complementary design service from
    our showrooms in Richmond or Brentford, plus an online design
    consultation via screen share for ultimate convenience.

You can also download our new VR App (IOS and Android) which allows you to create basic floor plans of your bathroom which are
    then automatically uploaded to our own 3d design software. Once we have
    created your 3d design it will be synced to your app so you can view at
    your leisure in 3d and VR using a google cardboard headset (available
    from us free of charge). You can share your designs with friends, family
    and your installer to get second opinions and to support the
    installation process. The app also includes showcase designs from some
    of our best projects to help inspire you.

Since launching the app late last year
    we’ve found it to significantly aid the design process and the way we
    collaborate with customers. Coupled with the online design service it’s
    also very convenient for our customers.
    More info is on our website:https://bathroomsbydesign.com/3d-design-service

We have a sale on this month with between 30-50% off on all bathroom and tiles so good timing hopefully for you. You can contact me directly on sam@bathroomsbydesign.com if you'd like to discuss further.

Best Regards

Sam

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

so like this minnie?

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Yes like that, although do you need to keep the 3100 wall, I thought that one could come out?! I'd just have a door straight into the lounge so create a big hallway. I think it looks do'able and might also create a bit of separate space for the kids to play?

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That wall has to stay unfortunately. But We can knock a Single or double door..... I guess this applies to your design too, man about the house!
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago

Please please please say this is doable....so good!!

And math stayed up all night working it out in their brain.

Its brilliant !

Seriously...can it be done ?

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I love it. It is definitely do-able! Thanks soooo much MATH for figuring it out for us!!

So for regs, we'd need a door between the kitchen and bedrooms.... this could go just by the diagonal bit?

So the little room basically had loads of built in storage. Brilliant!!! Thank you!!
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

You are welcome, and yes you could have a fire door as you say if the building inspector says it's necessary, although you have front to back access on the plan, so, his decision. Always best to ask Building Control what they want first, it's easier.

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sooooo ive been out voted by the builders and my husband, in favour of this design:

Basically it has come down to costs as we can keep the floor this way and new radiator etc. And, After speaking to builders, that annoying wall is SUPER thick too, so adding doors into it isn't as easy as a normal wall. more costs etc. although i preferred MATH's design! I'm happy with this too though. the wall under the stairs is also SUPER thick.

I'm going to start a new thread on bathroom layouts for this design..... !

thanks so much everyone. i think this has all come together from a little piece of everyone's design! x

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Looks great, and, you can only do what you can do. I'm sure it will look fantastic and can't wait to see the finished pics, good luck with it all.

Bambi T thanked User
  • Bambi T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you :)
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago

Eldest can have this...bed, study, bookcase. Wardrobe..sorted !

• Bambi T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just wanted to thank everyone here for your comments! Here's the pics... we actually never got round to doing the ensuite, we used it for storage in the end. Moving now for husbands new job and more space for the 3 year old! Really appreciated all the comments here :)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/74429088#/

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.