summit1978

Are gray cabinets here to stay?

summit1978
6 years ago

We are building a house and I absolutely love light gray cabinets. Originally we were going white but gray just warms the space up. However I don't want to be too trendy here and make a mistake. Are gray cabinets too taste specific and will they be out of style in a few years?

Comments (98)

• Chessie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Carolina Kitchen & Bath, all-white kitchens have been done for YEARS. It's may be a that there is a "trend" where people are doing more of them, but they, at least as far as the color being white, will never be "dated".

micheletx, your kitchen looks beautiful - and certainly not "dated". White kitchens are always a good choice.

summit1978 thanked Chessie
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

hduns - My son and his college-age friends all prefer an a white or light-colored home and especially in the kitchen. None of them want all that wood - it's just what most of them grew up with and they want a lighter brighter different look.

" cool gray kitchens often feel kind of cold and not cozy. I think a warmer gray, like a pale taupe or a pale mushroom is a little more contemporary right now"

I can't stand taupey-beigy/brown colors in my kitchen. It just makes me think of years ago when freaking everything was beige or tan. Hated it then, hate it now. I prefer cooler tones in my house, so I maybe I am young in my mind. LOL.

All that said - make your kitchen such that YOU love it and stop worrying about what someone else likes. I mean, unless you are renovating for a sale, the person you need to please is YOU.

summit1978 thanked Chessie
  • Related Discussions

would love to here your opinion

Q

Comments (16)
    Personally, I would rather not have the space between ceiling and tall units - would take units right up to ceiling. Something just doesn't sit right with me with regard to spacing- in particular the very small space to the left of the hob. Like others I feel there are too many colours and would have had the island in a grey - but I love the colours of the walls. I like the shelf - but not pushed in the corner like that!! One of the first things that caught my eye was the different colours of door and window frames in the house- I would have kept them all the same.... Not going to mention the stools!!!! I love the rounded units and would have opted to have rounded edges on the island to be in keeping, personally. Finally, this all sounds rather picky but we all know it is down to personal taste and overall it looks very nice. THANK YOU for allowing us all to put our two pennith in and our would be designer hats on..... I love these articles and it does give us food for thought!
    ...See More

What chairs match this table

Q

Comments (10)
    Some great advice there! I guess I'm trying to create a comfortable elegant feel/mood to the room. It is a child-free house, so I don't have to worry about little hands marking the fabric, but I do take the point on board - will consider darker fabrics. I do like the eames style chairs, and I will look into them in more detail, although I think I prefer the idea of a soft seat, rather than a hard one. One of my main concerns was in relation to the style/finish of the chair legs.....I love the legs on the table, so I want a chair that will complement the table. Is there any particular style of chair leg I should avoid? Or finish (wooden leg v chrome leg)? Karen: I'd be interested to see which chair you went for! Delighted to hear that you're happy with Atlantic
    ...See More

kitchen refresh needed- new wall and cabinet paint

Q

Comments (8)
    I painted my kitchen three years ago, and I love it. It's hard work and can take some weeks to do. You need to take doors off, remove the hinges and handles. Remember you need to prime and paint two coats on each side, so for a door that equates to six coats of paint and letting each coat dry. I used Mylands of London paint, I'm just hooked on this paint as the eggshell is dead flat with only 8 percent sheen, you wont get another paint any flatter. And if the paints good enough for Downtown Abbey, then it's good enough for us. I would hold back on painting wall tiles, as they are white and look fine , paint the cupboards first and see what it looks like. I choose Myalnds paint and had the colour mixed in a farrow and ball blue green. See photos. Good luck Yvonne
    ...See More

cabinet colour confusion...Help

Q

Comments (12)
    I do love drainpipe grey but particularly love it with the contrast of white marble countertop and a white Belfast sink. With wooden countertops I love the blue greys and greys with a hint of green. Your kitchen is already looking gorgeous so maybe you'd prefer a lighter grey like Farrow and Ball French gray, lamp room gray or blue gray as the photos below. I think you can't go wrong with Farrow and Ball greys, we went for 'light gray' in our kitchen and we love it.
    ...See More
  • DrB477
    6 years ago

White itself as a color won't date a kitchen per se, but other aspects of the kitchen will... appliances, floors, counters, layout, door style, etc.

White kitchens, not exactly timeless.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

alex9179, I like the wide white backsplash around the counters in that pic. Also like the colors of the wall, but if that is stone or a rough surface, I'd never want it. Way too hard to clean and the grease and dirt would be on it like a magnet. The lighter wood color is not bad, but still too "woody" for me.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

DrB477, the color white has little to do with the "datedness" of those kitchens.

• PRO
    Bates Design Associates, LLC
    6 years ago

Hi, I would recommend going with a greige color. This is somewhere between a gray and beige color. It will still be fresh and crisp looking, but will allow for an expanded color pallet. It will also help you avoid a trendy color pallet. I hope that helps. Good luck with your project!

summit1978 thanked Bates Design Associates, LLC
  • Theresa Oldham
    6 years ago
    With LIGHT grey I think you'll be fine. If it were me I would definitely go with light grey. I actually installed a new kitchen a year ago in DARK grey and I still absolutely love it. I get so many compliments. It is the shaker style, which is here to stay, and I can always have them professionally painted in any colour I like, when I get tired of it. Cabinet painting has come along way. My sister-in-law just had hers painted and they turned out beautifully. They look like brand new cabinets!
    summit1978 thanked Theresa Oldham
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

Chess, I think DrBs point is that color has little to do with datedness, so you can't really say "is white over?, is grey over?" because it's the combination of styles, materials and finishes that all contribute to a kitchen looking a certain age.

So to some people it wouldn't matter if it was white or not, they are going to think that a nice white kitchen is dated because it has cathedral arch doors--or shaker doors:

Who knows, really. the last kitchen in white laminate and oak strip was ubiquitous at one time and now that door is vilified. The white shaker door is ubiquitous now. The shaker door is the "builder door" in my location right now. Who knows maybe the white shaker door that everyone is insisting is classic is the white laminate and oak strip door of the the future. And I like shaker doors, don't get me wrong. And everyone says white subway tile is "classic" and never goes out of style. Really? Then why did people who had antique houses and wanted to repair or install an period appropriate bathroom either have to salvage it or pay an arm and a leg for it from the very few restoration tile makers for decades when almost no one was making it?

I think people have visual fatigue and need novelty. It really has very little to do with whether something is good looking or bad looking, people are just tired of it at some point and to some people if they are tired of it, it is "ugly" and dated is usually a code word for "ugly". I don't really think about it that way but a lot of people do.

• DrB477
    6 years ago

"Chess, I think DrBs point is that color has little to do with datedness, so you can't really say "is white over?, is grey over?" because it's the combination of styles, materials and finishes that all contribute to a kitchen looking a certain age."

Yep. Exactly. It's not one element, like a color, that creates a dated look. It's the whole package. "Honey oak" is considered dated, but its not the light colored oak itself... it's the whole 1980's package of honey oak, builder's grade quality cabinets, door style, hardware (or lack thereof), raised coil electric range, standard depth top freezer white fridge, double bowl high divide drop in sink, lack of drawers, laminate counter with 4" backsplash, etc. Same kitchen painted with the only changed being cabinets painted white... still dated, albeit maybe a little less so because you dropped one of the dated elements. But the rest are still there and it still looks dated.

• PRO
    Color Zen
    6 years ago

Every finish will date so go with what you love (years down the road the gray can always be painted).

summit1978 thanked Color Zen
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

"I think DrBs point is that color has little to do with datedness, so you can't really say "is white over?, is grey over?" because it's the combination of styles, materials and finishes that all contribute to a kitchen looking a certain age."

Yes, exactly. I probably misinterpreted. In any event, yes, totally agree. A beautiful modern kitchen can really be any color you like. (Although Harvest Gold and Avocado Green might be stretching it a bit!! ;-) )

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

You stated you are building a house.... so I am going with the assumption that you won't be selling any time soon..... do what you love! You will never get your home designed the way you want if you constantly worry about resale unless you know you are getting out in less than 5 years! I wish I had the crystal ball some folks have for design... a lot of the "trends" take time to move throughout the country so depending on where you are you could be putting in something that is on its way out elsewhere... don't make yourself crazy.... design your kitchen to suite your house - something expected with a twist of your own personality - embrace it - love it!

Good luck!

summit1978 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I love the light gray cabinets...they are lovely!
    summit1978 thanked Melissa Gallagher
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

tIn general, I do not like the word "dated" because implicit in it is often a value judgement.

Not with everybody: some people use dated simply to mean "this looks obviously not new, this is no longer in fashion"

But I think a lot of people, when it comes to something as durable as a house use "that's dated" as a code phrase for "I think that's ugly" , because if they didn't they would say "that's classic" (meaning "It's old, but I don't think it's ugly".

It's further confounded by people who think that many current or fashionable things are not ugly, but think that things that are out of fashion or not current are ugly. They don't really evaluate it on it's own appearance, they evaluate it on how current/trendy/popular it is.

I dunno, I think there's no reason that a kitchen from 1985 has to be ugly just because it's 30 years old, but it seems like a lot of people think that the two go hand in hand.

• Heather N
    6 years ago

chess - when i said "warm grey", I definitely didn't mean tan/beige/brown! It is still gray, just without the bluish or purplish undertones that can make something look cold in the wrong room.

something like this gray I think is more contemporary that the gray cabinet picture included in the original post.

side note - if anyone knows of a paint color that looks like this, please let me know!! Revere Pewter is actually close, but still a little too tan for my liking

• Heather N
    6 years ago

Melissa Gallagher - is that your house? Just wondering what color those cabinets are!

• Heather N
    6 years ago

summit1978 - just looking back at your original photo, those cabinets actually look like pale blue cabinets to me. So I would just be careful if you go with this kind of color that it doesn't look blue! Or maybe go with a more "purposeful" looking blue color and make a statement. I have no issue with blue cabinets AT ALL, but you're asking about resale and most buyers probably don't want blue cabinets. (This is coming from someone who is planning to have mint green cabinets in her butler's pantry). I think that the cabinets in your picture might look less blue with a different color on the wall.

summit1978 thanked Heather N
  • anniebird
    6 years ago
    It's almost certainly the case that they will be out until they're back in, and then out, etc...

You love them, so embrace them, enjoy them and make a vibrant, personal space for yourself as only you can:). That's always "IN"!
    summit1978 thanked anniebird
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

hduns, that is not too bad. I like it. Google Balboa Mist.

• summit1978
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the amazing feedback. I really enjoy the photos people have posted. DrB477- your kitchen is beautiful! We live in Florida and the neighborhood we're moving into is mostly young professional families. It's a larger kitchen with a lot of cabinets. Similar to this size. This is closer to the color I'm thinking, possibly a shade lighter. We are picking out the cabinets tomorrow so I will let you all know. Thanks again!

• Magi P
    6 years ago
    I wanted gray at first but then settled on white. But after reading all the comments I want gray again, lol. Maybe white cabinets but then make our island gray? What are your thoughts on using two colors? I have to choose in the next week, I wish I wasn’t so indecisive.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    hduns No, not mine...I don't know the color...I just found it on google and liked it so I saved it.
  • Heather N
    6 years ago

Chess - I had Balboa Mist in our old kitchen on the walls! It is a little too purple with the undertones for what I want. But definitely close!!!

summit1978 - I like the color and undertones of this kitchen you just posted better than the first one! Feels more neutral to me. I could definitely see this in a lighter shade if you feel that this is too dark! (Separately - I don't love the partial overlay cabinets in this picture. Full overlay if you want it to feel fresh and modern - even with more traditional cabinets or shakers cabinets. Inset if you want to feel more traditional and classic. don't listen when they tell you that full overlay looks cheap...most new luxury kitchens I've seen these days have the full overlay look!)

summit1978 thanked Heather N
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Why not go with a light grey? I noticed in your kitchen idea book you have mostly white and a few very light grey kitchens saved. This kitchen would be a great middle of the road option between white and grey:

Honestly, I would go with whatever you are most drawn to. With that said, I didn't you see any white kitchens with grey islands saved in your idea book, which might be an indication of what you actually prefer...and will hopefully help your indecisiveness ;)

summit1978 thanked User
  • summit1978
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love this thank you!

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

We live in NYC, I drag hubs to Open Houses practically every weekend, people are still strongly oohing &aahing over grey along with white matte subway tile with grey grout.

We ended up with "white" cabinets with a grey ceasarstone, with grey accent wall, our grey has more silvery tones.

We painted twice, hubs first picked out a grey that was very green, it looked like baby poo.

Completely agree with Apple Pie, do accent walls, etc. if resale is your concern.

summit1978 thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • summit1978
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well ladies I just wanted to update you. I did end up going with light gray cabinets for the kitchen!! Depending on the color of the walls they could look more greige or gray. I love that the color is a little more versatile. Thanks again for all your feedback! It definitely gave me the courage to move forward with what I really love!!! I'm not looking back and can't wait!

• beth09
    6 years ago

I'm not looking back and can't wait!

*clapping*

Please post finished pics. ;)

• AP
    6 years ago
    I had the same dilemma as you, and we did it. I had many moments (especially after install) where I second guessed myself. But that wore off... and I really love them. Good luck!
    summit1978 thanked AP
  • kathybertucci
    6 years ago
    AP
    what color paint? Just what I want -- Beautiful
  • beth09
    6 years ago

AP, LOVE, love your kitchen. It was memorable. :)

• AP
    6 years ago

Thank you! The color is factory finish, Magnolia by Omega.

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    6 years ago
    As you haven't moved in yet, I say paint the color you want. Take into consideration the wall color and flooring. Go with what you love because at the end of the day you are the one living with it! In a few years you may want a change and then consider if you are selling or staying!
    summit1978 thanked SJS Interiors
  • PRO
    DecorReform
    6 years ago
    You made the right decision by going with what you love! At the end of the day, and every other that follow where you’ll be the one in the kitchen, that’s all that truly matters. Enjoy!
    summit1978 thanked DecorReform
  • nicole___
    6 years ago

My brother in 1991....installed grey washed oak cabinets. Those are in-style again. Have you watched This Old House lately? Mostly oak cabinets in a medium brown stain. The old golden oak(red oak) with the half round curve on top of every door is out....but a shaker....maybe a shaker door is timeless.....

• PRO
    Kathy Appel, ASID
    6 years ago
    Congratulations summit1978! So glad you decided to go with what you love. The first thing I ask clients is if they preparing for resale in the next year or two, or if they are planning to stay. If they are planning to stay then the house should be designed to make them happy and comfortable. Your home is your sanctuary. If you are spending a few years or decades of your life there it should not be designed to nurture you and your family. Six months to a year before you list for resale you can update to whatever is trending.
    summit1978 thanked Kathy Appel, ASID
  • summit1978
    Original Author
    6 years ago

AP I absolutely LOVE your kitchen! It's actually very close to the color I picked. This gives me even more confidence I made the right decision! What did you choose for you countertops?

• bindy1
    5 years ago

Anyone has a kitchen in one of those light stains like Woodmode Shale or Decora Fog. deciding between a painted light hrey /white or dark stains thx

• bob fake
    5 years ago

The berber carpet of kitchens fads. Looks like a primered work truck someone was too cheap to paint.

• F D
    5 years ago
    I have been trying to decide on what cabinets I should go with for my kitchen remodel, taking into consideration that it is likely that we may move in 5 years. Everyone says white is a safe bet, but I find it too bright and hard looking. Wood I find tends to be too dark, so I was thinking about light gray. It seems to be light and warm at the same time. I worry though that it is too trendy and may be out in 5 years time. These are the cabinets we were thinking about. I am very confused about what to do.
  • Heather N
    5 years ago

FD I did Revere Pewter colored cabinets and am happy with them. Looks almost white in certain lights. Usually looks like a very soft gray. I agree that white can sometimes look harsh - especially at night, I like kitchens that are a little darker. They’re a lot lighter than the picture you posted above and a little bit of a warmer gray

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

If I had my choice I would have stained grey cabinets. Not painted.

• Chessie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

F D , I think those cabinets look lovely!!! Gray has been around for a LOOONGGG time. People on here say "oh it;s a trend"...but it AIN'T. It's a perfect neutral for folks that are tired of so much BROWN and ORANGE and BEIGE wood in the kitchen. I would not hesitate to go with the cabinets you posted. Not for a second.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Grays are on the way out. If you have some new model homes you can tour, go see what they are doing. Around here, there is a combo of wood and painted cabinets coming into the new looks. Might want to do a base of a wood and paint the uppers? Or some combo that strikes your heart! Do what you like. It is more about the "layout" of the kitchen and the age of appliances in my experience when it comes to kitchens. Whatever you do, 5 years is a long time to look and work in a kitchen you don't like. In 5 years whatever you do will be out anyway. lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

This is a

Country Living · More Info

this is a nice combo of whit and sage green which works well with the plank flooring. So it depends on what your style is and how you want your kitchen to look.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Sage green works great with gray as well. I have both in my kitchen. Gray is a neutral and will go with EVERYTHING, like white, and black. Green is not a neutral color. But I'm not advising against colors, just explaining why I would choose gray.

• Heather N
    5 years ago

I think the really cool gray colors that have blue or purple undertones are not as popular as they were a few years back, but warmer grays are very much in style when I look at popular design blogs, Instagram, etc. More along the lines of putty kind of colors. Gray done the right way will never go out of style - pretty much ANY color done the right way will never go out of style, it just brcomes harder to make into look current if the rest of the room isn’t quite right.

• Heather N
    5 years ago

Gray cabinets that don’t look dated

• Heather N
    5 years ago

Some gray cabinets that don’t look dated

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

If it suits your home , then it will look good for a long time. If you fight the architecture and style of a home then it can look "trendy or dated" ... I love a nice gray cabinet!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.