kaci_stewart89

Kitchen & Pantry Design Help

JB Peters
6 years ago

I am struggling with the amount of space we have allocated for the pantry. I am also concerned about the 3' cabinet on the shared wall with the dining room. Any ideas or advice on how to better lay out this space would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (32)

• Lisa Mmm
    6 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

Are you struggling with the amount of space allocated for the pantry because it's too big? Or too small? Is this a new build or are you renovating your existing home? Are there any limitations here?

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Lisa! It seems like too much space. The floor space seems to be wasted space.
  • Related Discussions

Need help designing new kitchen (new build)

Q

Comments (5)
    thanks for posting the photos. First, I feel like there is a mix of styles in the design that aren't really complementing each other. The waterfall walnut frame around the frig and wall oven areas is VERY modern. But the rounded front cooktop/bar, the divided light glass front cabinet doors, and molding on the upper cabinets are very traditional -- maybe even a bit 'cottage'. The looks are fighting each other IMHO. Also, I would reconsider the placement of the wall ovens -- they seem very crowded back in that corner. And the range hood going to the ceiling but the cabinets stopping short looks odd to me. Maybe a different hood with a narrower chimney would look better. And, is that the dishwasher on the island? --- Yikes -- I would want that right next to the sink (otherwise you'll be dripping water all over the floor everytime you load it)
    ...See More

Need Help with Designing a Kitchen

Q

Comments (0)
    Dimensions are 5 meters long by 4 metres wide. Is it possible to fit a table and 6 chairs into this Kitchen. Have a seperate pantry
    ...See More

Kitchen design help!

Q

Comments (11)
    I agree with 'Kitchens and Baths', you are leaving yourself precious little counterspace to accommodate 2 side-by-side wall ovens? Can't you stack them if you need 2? Also, a warning, I wouldn't be taking anything out of those ovens and "turning to the island" with them...not with a quartz countertop!! You'll have that whole end all scorched...unless you are quick and accurate with lots of trivets! But your "open shelving" is going to look like a pinched-in forgotten corner pantry...you really need more space for them too , if it is going to look right. Right now as it is, 2 feet of them are all but beyond reach (over the lower countertop) and then a mere 2 feet worth of actually OPEN, available space you can reach, then the monster of the floor to ceiling cabinet will be in the way. It will be like reaching around into a closet. I would seriously reconsider this design BEFORE your electrician shows up--and before you order all those (expensive!) cabinets. But as for the island 'crowding' the walkway--it looks as if your drawing says 1.2 meters? That's plenty and more than enough, even for running boisterous kiddos, you're fine there. Best of Luck.
    ...See More

need help for my kitchen design, and bathroom.

Q

Comments (0)
    would like a pantry american fridge, large kitchen, table and chairs, 3 piece suite tv, windows overlooking garden. bathroom would like sit in bath corner or square, saw a lovely tilted bath in your houzz, how much are tghease pls.
    ...See More
  • jhope
    6 years ago
    You could move that wall between the pantry and dining into the pantry more and do a built-in china hutch.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Tell us please what's going on -- remodel, new build?

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    New construction, sorry!
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

The kitchen/pantry space seems like it could be made better.

Could you post a larger floor plan showing the rooms behind the kitchen?

Do you need/want a large pantry?

Is the house missing anything that space might be re-purposed for?

I would move the refrigerator to the nook end of the kitchen so it's closer to your everyday eating area, and accessible without getting into the kitchen space -- maybe by kids. Adjust other items -- range and sink as well.

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    here

Here is a larger view PPF. I'm definitely moving the fridge after hearing your feedback!
  • JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The house isn't missing much, and we did want a large pantry. after thinking more we may keep it so we can use it as a closet if we convert the do ing to a bedroom (3 kids). Any other insight would be appreciated!
  • JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    dining*
  • Lori B
    6 years ago

I don't like the sink on the island. Are you planning to put stools at the island for additional seating? With the sink there it'd make that awkward to be sitting next to a sink while eating. I also don't like a sink and dirty dishes clearly visible to the great room. My kitchen has 2 dishwashers yet my kids still put dirty dishes on the counter next to the sink. I wouldn't want to look at that sitting on top of my island. I also notice you don't have any large work spaces. I think every kitchen needs one large space for food prep that doesn't have upper cabinets intruding into the space. You could have that with your island but the sink is there. I think the pantry is great. Can never have too much storage.

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The question then becomes, where does the sink go? We have this island in our current home and don't mind since it's wide enough to prevent the sink from interfering with anyone eating at the bar. If there is a layout that makes sense with moving the sink I'd love to hear it. I am in no way sold that this is the best setup.
  • simstress
    6 years ago

Some thoughts: Move fridge closer to nook as others mentioned. Lose the solo 3' cabinet and shift the pantry door into that space... this allows an L-shaped perimeter and a U-shaped pantry. Pantry is 6' wide so you can do 18" deep shelves on the 3 sides and still have standing room in the middle; you could even do 24" deep shelves just at the deep end of the pantry if you have bulkier items to store. Widen the 3' path between island and outside corner of dining room. A 10' island *could* require a seam in the slab... check that the material you desire is available in 120"... or make sure a seam in the island is acceptable to you. Good luck!

• simstress
    6 years ago

If island sink has worked for you in the past, you don't have to change that. I consider it a personal preference item. Good luck!

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Alright, last question. I love the idea of moving the fridge towards the nook, but where do I put the range to keep things making sense?
  • PRO
    Stage Two Sell LLC
    6 years ago
    I actually think the layout is good. You cannot simply put the frig at the other end or you would be bumping into it with the DW open. I like that the frig placement because it can be accessible going around the other side of the island and from the family room. I think it looks good and pantry space is a wonderful thing.
  • simstress
    6 years ago

If the fridge goes down to the end, I'd move the DW to right of sink to minimize interference.

• Hillside House
    6 years ago

I would move the fridge next to the pantry, on the opposite side that it is now. (Landing space is on island.) Then, I see two possible options: 1) Center the range on that cabinet run, or 2) Put the range where the fridge was, and move the cleanup sink to where the range was. Add a prep sink to your island. I would chose the second, personally.

It makes sense to me to have your fridge and pantry close together, so when you prepare a meal you can gather ingredients easily, rather than traipsing from one end of the kitchen to the other. People can still access the fridge there without getting into your prep space, which is good.

It also moves your cleanup space to the opposite end, which means one person can prep while someone else unloads a dishwasher, without getting in each other's way. You can also store all of your dishes at that end, closer to the nook. It appears to be your main dining area, anyway, since you mentioned possibly converting the dining room to another bedroom.

• PRO
    Columbus Custom Design
    6 years ago

Hi Jennifer - great floor plan - I think with a few minor tweaks you have the ability to improve it even more. Before I offer my suggestions, how far along is the home ? Has construction even begun ? Foundation poured ?

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We're in our final review phase of the plans, so anything goes!
  • PRO
    Columbus Custom Design
    6 years ago

Jennifer - That's great !

If it's possible, I would strongly suggest bumping out the kitchen nook outside wall so it lines up with the outside wall of Bedroom Three. This will remove the strange little bump out / return of the Lanai floor as well as give the Lanai walls a nice balanced look. The even bigger benefit of this change is that it will improve the traffic pattern in and out from the kitchen nook out to the Lanai. As is, with your nook table and seating, it could feel / look congested as you walk out to the Lanai.

Your idea of using the dining room space as an additional bedroom is probably a great idea. I would suggest making it a flex space so it could be used as a bedroom or a home office. If you provide plenty of space in the kitchen for dining, I personally don't think you need a formal ding room. A third bedroom will probably offer more resale value in the long term.

I have a few ideas regarding the kitchen and the master suite but they are affected by the possibility of bumping out your kitchen nook, so please let me know what you think about that.

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It's funny you say that, because we already bumped the nook out. We also bumped the living room out to an even 18' I am interested to hear you other suggestions.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Larger plan.

This is (was) a similar plan to yours and my suggestion was to move the garage/master suite back, and to simplify the roof. I prefer the focus to be on the entrance, and not add additional gables for "looks".

Would you consider flipping the dining and entry? If this were to be used as an additional bedroom, that might make more sense.

• elainealiberti
    6 years ago

Hi Jennifer

A couple comments.

First...good job in putting the laundry both off the garage and attached to the master closet!! I am designing a house for myself and have done something very similar. My husband loves to just dump his clothes in the laundry, and leaves it there when clean like it is his own personal closet anyway! :)

Kitchen ideas: If you put the oven(s) near the pantry you will make more space under a cooktop for pots and pans that will be easily accessible. It is nice to have ovens out of the way. You could build in a microwave into the oven cabinet this way as well. I would definitely add a raised bar top with barstools on great room side of the sink island. Everyone congregates in the kitchen, and it is great to be working at the sink preparing dinner while guests hang out at the raised bar. I have this and this is where we all spend time. I cut up veggies or put up guacamole and I can face the guests while I work. The raised bar allows the sink and any mess to be hidden from the great room, and the bar stools can be an attractive way to make the transition from kitchen to great room. Instead of a pocket door to your pantry I would put in double french doors (yes, very narrow) with glass (opaque or frosted if you like). This will improve the look of the kitchen. As you look through the kitchen it will seem like a window instead of a dark hole at the end. I concur to switch the dishwasher to the right side of the sink, that way you can unload and put dishes up easily on either side of the cooktop without a lot of walking. I would just use a large single sink. So much easier to pile in dirty dishes and pots and pans. I would put built in pullout trash/recycle to the left of the sink. Consider an induction cooktop. If you don't know about them, check them out. They are super fast, clean, and easy to maintain. I would never go back to messy gas. Moving the refrigerator to the nook side of the kitchen makes sense for reasons mentioned above especially if you end up converting the dining room, plus it will be closer to the garage where groceries come from....and if you build in your ovens you can put them on the opposite side of the kitchen near the pantry to balance the look of the refrigerator and center your cooktop between the two. Consider glass cabinets for your uppers. With your odd 3' cabinet near the pantry, consider a super small sink and creating a coffee station in this area. It could end up being used off the dining room for drinks as well. Having plumbing down here couldn't hurt if you end up converting the dining area in the future.

I agree to move the wall of the nook to the edge of the Lanai. Add your double doors off the nook to the Lanai. You could also move the pantry wall to line up with the front dining room wall, thus enlarging your pantry.

Remove the double doors of the entry and just use a single large door (42" wide is usually good) with side lights if you like. This way you will have room for a bench in the foyer for people to sit, take off their shoes, or leave items such as purses on an entry table to the side of the front door. If you put a side table in the dining room, you might place it by the foyer and it can double as a table for guest items. Side lights can be left open for cross ventilation.

I would revisit your front porch area depending on what you want to do out there. The front door seems quite far back and the front porch extends out from the front door...Just wondering if this is going to seem like a dark hole.

• elainealiberti
    6 years ago

Just thinking....Even using glass in your single pocket door would give you the same effect as the double french without having doors in the way. Just consider a thicker wall so that the pocket door doesn't stick and slides nicely

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here is a quick redo of the plan with a few ideas -- trying not to change everything.

Move garage/master back, and right side bedrooms forward. Adjust laundry a bit and utilities in garage.

Moving garage side back cleans up the elevation, and eliminates the recess back to the pantry window.

Moving the right side bedrooms is an attempt to open up the back of the house a bit, bringing in more light and views. I'd also add windows in the bedrooms on that right wall.

• Jennifer Dube
    6 years ago

Hey your kitchen/pantry layout looks a lot like ours! I personally love it, it works very well for us.

The only differences: no counter to the left of refrigerator (that's where the pantry door is instead). And we have a cooktop with drawers for pots & pans underneath, rather than a range, with wall oven/microwave to the right of it. And no extra counter like you have on the wall with the dining room.

We are empty nesters though... so that may make a difference. But the pantry is just awesome, it's like having a mini-store in our condo. We used 10 inch shelves though 12 would have worked too, as I didn't want things getting stuck in the back of the shelf and forgotten. In addition to food and staples, and paper products, the pantry also houses our small appliances, cleaning supplies, vacuum cleaner, mops etc. And wall-mounted spice rack (we have a ton of spices). And beverage fridge. And also has a rolling cart which is where our coffee maker lives. And recycling bin.

The pantry is so spacious it allowed us to free up so much space in the kitchen we actually have empty cabinets and shelves in the kitchen.

Hubby installed motion sensor lighting and tonight is installing hinges so it closes automatically when you go in and out, which we do frequently.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Rendering to go with the above floor plan.

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like this, but what attracted me to the plan to start with was the beautiful gables on the front.

• elainealiberti
    6 years ago

I actually like the extra space in the garage. One always needs more space in a garage!! You can keep the gable on the garage and even things out by increasing the size of the pantry. Also, the gables do not have to be so pronounced. You could reduce the size of the step backs of the gables, or even tuck the entry gable underneath the larger gable. That would also save you a post, and reduce the walk to the front door.

• PRO
    Columbus Custom Design
    6 years ago

Hi Jennifer - how are the plans coming along ? Do you have an updated drawing showing the changes to the kitchen nook ?

• JB Peters
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not yet. We are confirming changes and sending them over this week.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.