evyrh

Wood paneling room- how to make more modern, lighten it up?

evyrh
7 years ago

Hello all, we're moving to a new home filled with beautiful, well maintained wood paneling, all throughout. My husband's complaint is that the house feels too dark for him. Any ideas to make it feel brighter and more modern? My husband has mentioned painting or even covering some of it, I nearly had a heart attack and luckily that has not come up again. LOL Something I considered is redoing the fireplace, maybe marble? something light? Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

Comments (29)

• apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

Wow. Plan to add three times as much lighting. With new LED bulbs, it will be cost effective. Consulting a good local lighting designer would be worth the money for this dramatic house.

evyrh thanked apple_pie_order
  • Wright Daggett
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Are there screens on the windows? Take them off and store them, give the windows a good clean on both sides, there appears to be a buildup of what I suspect is lime on them. Also, how about a reflective tile floor, the carpet is sucking all the light out of the rooms. Also, I would choose furniture that is more perky and organic, something in the citron green range, not the skins of dead animals. This is clearly a mid-century house, and very beautiful. You could also add a mirror, a big mirror, to the fireplace instead of a wreath to reflect light back into the space. Please loose the light fixtures too, go mod.

evyrh thanked Wright Daggett
  • Related Discussions

Need help for my living room colour scheme!

Q

Comments (9)
    Is the chandelier thing seeming a bit small for the room or is it just me? Given that your walls are plain, the sofa is plain how about a patterned rug? Do you like Persian rugs? I find that dark green wainscotting too heavy and would paint it a lighter color. Given you have just moved in I assume you are planning to be there a while. If you like traditional style do you want a fairly safe color scheme re walls and curtains, keeping future resale in mind. Or are u happy to decorate according to your tastes? The mirror seems a bit small to me.
    ...See More

Help with my living room

Q

Comments (791)
    I've been thinking of you,Fragle - I remember those sleepless nights when the babies first came home and everyone was sleep deprived but life-as -always still had to go on, esp for Mommy. So happy for you that you have a 'good' baby, I love the name too:-)
    ...See More

Help to jazz up book case/ book shelf

Q

Comments (27)
    I think you're making great progress. CDR wanted you to put them all vertical because she thinks only professionals should style bookcases. We are/were all amateurs at one point, that doesn't mean we shouldn't decorate our own homes. You're getting there! Just keep studying the photos of bookshelves that you like and keep practicing. Just remember to keep the decorations simple. Look over the beautiful photo above from Maureen again, and you can see that some shelves are still all books, and there are only a few decorative pieces.
    ...See More

Living room

Q

Comments (12)
    I think black, cream and gold is quite a classic combination unless you wanted more colour? Perhaps a side table or low console to the right of the fire but keep the profile lower than the fire. I would change the mirror for a larger one and add something tallish on the LHS, agree re painting skirts, would do these in the ŵall colour though to maximise ŵall height and also paint the door. Perhaps a glass coffee table with a rug under the sofas? I would keep the rug similar in tone to the floor. You could also try arranging cushions either 2/3 on one side with just one on the other to move away from a traditonal look but do bring in the gold and pattern. You could try just a grasscloth on the fire ŵall. I would also add art. If you choose black frames keep the frame fairly thin. Also agree re tv unit.
    ...See More
  • Sammy
    7 years ago

Where did "the skins of dead animals" come from, wrightdaggett?!

• studio3600
    7 years ago
    I hate to say it but painting some of it really would make it brighter. Love the mid century feeling of the house. Is this your furniture? If not, choosing light colored fabric furniture could brighten it up. Definitely change lighting.
    evyrh thanked studio3600
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Much of how your room looks will have to do with the furniture you put in it.

No dark rugs as in the pictures above.

Go modern with your furnishings. Use a glass coffee table to create an airy feel.

Legs on sofas make the room more open.

Don't overload your room with too much furniture and keep the accents sparse.

Painting wood is a last resort after doing all you can with light bright drapes and decor.

evyrh thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Use lots of table and floor lamps and also indirect lighting.

You have the perfect space to add large live plants.

evyrh thanked leelee
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

If that paneling is in the bedrooms I would remove it. There can be too much of a good thing.

Will you buy new furniture for this room? If you will use your current furniture I hope it is not brown.

I would use a spring green (decor) to counteract all the brown. I would not rush to paint.

I would not add any more wood grain to the room. Is it possible to hire a designer?

evyrh thanked emmarene9
  • houssaon
    7 years ago

If this were my house, I would refinish the wood walls (and maybe the ceiling) with a white stain. The wood grain will still show through.

I think the fireplace is light and wonderful as is; I wouldn't change it.

Large white tile would reflect light, but light natural wood with a bright area rug would also brighten the space up.

Architecture and Interior Design · More Info

Formal Dining & Butler's Pantry · More Info

Dining and Kitchen · More Info

Winter Cabin · More Info

evyrh thanked houssaon
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

For the bedrooms I'd leave the ceilings but remove the paneling. There is so much it is oppressive. Leave the living room as a show place. Unless it was designed by a famous architect you should not feel obligated to keep that in every room of the house. I've never seen so much wood in my life.

evyrh thanked emmarene9
  • PRO
    MOVAdesign
    7 years ago

Paint the walls white, the beams a darker stain, leave the ceiling panels as is, floor replace with slate. Fireplace stone needs to be updated to a cleaner neutral stone in a monolithic style as your ceilings are amazing in height. Not sure if this is in your plan, I would reconsider the scale of your furniture. It needs to be less bulky an in a lighter fabric. Also, consider lighting your best friend. Downlight the fireplace stone. You have loads of windows, use them to your advantage, remove the heavy drapery.

evyrh thanked MOVAdesign
  • Bev
    7 years ago

I suggest leaving the wood as is! I love it! I have similar paneling in my family room and everyone loves it! It's the only room in the house that has it because before it was a family room, it was the garage. There is now a 1-1/2 car garage behind the house. My first thought, after seeing the paneling, was to paint it a lighter color. I decided to live in our house first and I'm so glad I did. The paneling is staying and what I did to lighten the room is add several lamps and a wall sconce that my hubby put up for me. We also have a ceiling light towards the back of the room. We replaced the old, outdated one when we moved in. I chose one with clear glass so we could get the most light out of it. I also have a light colored Lazy Boy reclining sofa that also helps.

evyrh thanked Bev
  • lilyanddaisy
    7 years ago
    Hi there. I agree, that white rug is somehow deadening the room. I'm not sure what to suggest for flooring since I don't like tile in living rooms but agree it should go, as should the red Turkish rug. I believe it you had wood floors (yes I know, more wood) you could then use lighter Turkish rugs and a white flokati rug, as well as lighter furniture with legs. I did the same in my mid century living room. There are many lighter toned Turkish rugs available now. Just look on eBay and Etsy! That's where I get mine and the Turkish sellers are amazing. I also got the most gorgeous white 8x10 wood flokati rug on eBay from a super seller. Also as other mentioned, get large plants. Lastly suggest modernizing the curtains. Perhaps something sheer without the pinch pleats. Gorgeous room. Have fun!
    evyrh thanked lilyanddaisy
  • User
    7 years ago

Terrazzo tile would be a great choice for a MCM house, and a light color with some flecks of the wood color in it would be perfect.

Fritztile's Birch color would be a good start to explore.

evyrh thanked User
  • evyrh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, thank you everyone for the awesome advice.
    Lighting design/improvements definitely seem to be a must, and we agree. After
    reading all of your comments, I’m also leaning toward leaving the fireplace, as
    is. As for flooring, it seems that the
    carpet has got to go. We’re still not sure what to replace it with, but are
    thinking maybe slate. Lastly, I was also very happy to hear ideas that did not
    involve painting. The wood is so much more beautiful in person. I can’t wait to
    share our updates with you all in a couple of months. Thank you again for your
    contributions! They sure were welcomed and very much appreciated.

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

The furniture is from the listing, not their furniture.

• User
    7 years ago

Love terrazzo floors!

• PRO
    Interior Analysis by Allan Skriloff
    7 years ago

first you need new lighting recessed sconces etc.

Also all I see is LEATHER to much. And wood furniture you need some softness and color and no wood furniture,

I would love to see the fireplace done in black tile or granit

Also the piano look out of place. A suggestion I would get thin machinate paneling and put it on the wall behind wood shelf and either paint it or wall paper it. Then put the piano in the center of the book case ( will need some reworking of the shelves and some little stub legs in the front of the piano.

• leelee
    7 years ago

I agree with no wood furniture. Glass, metal that reflects light, Lucite and light upholstered furniture is going to draw your eye to the living area and not to the walls.

Don't forget about adding oversized light bright art to the walls to break the expanse of wood.

Painting the wood is always a last option if you decide it's still too dark after all the furniture is added.

• leelee
    7 years ago

And no brown leather sofas or chairs.

• wantsideas
    7 years ago

What a great looking house! Your wood looks light and of high quality not dark cheap paneling. My suggestion would be to live there for a few months before making any decisions. Once you settle in with your furnishings you will know what needs to be done and what needs priority. Lighting for sure but don't rush any other decisions. Please share other pictures of your home when you can.

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    Don't do anything for a while. Live in the house for at least a few months. See how the exterior light works....it's barely Spring, so there is still Less light now than next month. Daylight Savings time is a week away.
    Lighting may indeed need to be updated, the type of bulbs changed. If you like air, don't remove the screens on doors or windows you would like to have open to catch the breeze.
    The fireplace is light in color, and stone goes nicely with the wood. Most of the flooring or floor covering in the photos is light except for the Oriental rug (yours?).
    After you get familiar with the house, you will begin to learn what actually needs to be changed or updated. Consult a paneling professional for information about treating or refinishing your walls before you DO anything to them.
    Your house looks beautiful. Try out a few furniture arrangements and lighting changes during the first few months. There is plenty of time to settle in and adapt the house to your lifestyle.
  • acm
    7 years ago

I just want to say that I'm glad you're leaning away from painting -- there is plenty of wood panelling in the world that benefits from paint or whitewash, but the wood walls in your house are really spectacular, in color and variegation, and they deserve to be maintained. I think light/nonwood/nonbrown furniture will make a huge difference, as will an absolute ton of lighting (up and down) run along the beams.

Runaway Farm Renovation · More Info

"green" remodel · More Info

Custom Home by Rob Carpenter Construction: Saddle Springs · More Info

• pat1250
    7 years ago

Love this home! The wood is gorgeous. Not a decorator, but thinking that adding doors (24"-32"high?) to cover the bottom of the bookcase wall would help to modernize the space, as well as give you enclosed storage. RE: the lighting, I have the same issue in my home - vaulted beamed wood ceilings that don't allow for overhead lighting. We have some track lights which I am not fond of, so we typically use various lamps for lighting. Following your post as am very curious to see what you do. Again, beautiful home.

• PRO
    Kate Cledwyn
    7 years ago

Beautiful home. Some great points above. Modern lighting will make a huge difference - recessed rather than hanging and floor lights will create an option of moods. Agree to bring in soft cool natural colours, blues and greens on furnishings and wall and some lovely green tall plants to bring the outside 'in'. Love it and best of luck!

• kay kin
    7 years ago

my in-laws argued for years about painting the family room paneling, a nice walnut but medium to dark in color. the paint deed was done when one was out of town for a business trip and the difference was amazing. the room became bright and modern, clean and cheery but did lead, however, to buying all new furniture. my opinion is either paint the ceiling or the walls, there is far too much wood for this beautiful room.

• Kate
    7 years ago
    I would change the floor into grey tiles and change the furniture/rug first. I would add some red pieces to go with that wood.Then I would do the lighting. Something very airy and white. And then you can see what else needs to be done.
    Beautiful house !!!
  • Kate
    7 years ago
    You could also stain the ceiling white and have something similar as this photo. It's a great option too but I think grey floor and keeping that natural ceiling would be best!
  • abbycthom
    6 years ago
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.