hzdeleted_33367883

Improve kerb appeal of 1958 bungalow

User
7 years ago

We have recently moved to a 1958 bungalow. You cant actually see it from the road, but we need to improve the look of it from the front. We are thinking to paint the garage doors black, until we can afford to replace them. We need to replace the front doors, to the left and right of the centre section of the house. They are original and the double glazing has broken down. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (20)

• doogie72
    7 years ago

Hi Gerty. From your comments I'm guessing you don't have a huge budget for this project so I don't think suggesting major changes is going to be very helpful. (am I right?) I think with having 2 doors on the same side of the house you need to define which one is your "main" entrance. I would guess the glazed doors and side lights are needed to get light into the property? In which case I would choose a different door for whichever ends up as you main door, still including some glazing. Perhaps you could also put some large coloured pots there so visitors immediately head for the "front door" If you have the budget how about painting the render and adding some cedar cladding over part of the building to make it look more modern?

User thanked doogie72
  • PRO
    Landscape Design by James Brunton-Smith Limited
    7 years ago

As a landscape designer I am going to focus on the 'soft stuff', first impressions suggest confusion over priorities and which is the main entrance. Some ore focused planters around the main door would help - as big as the budget allows to reduce maintenance. Remove the smaller pots and planters along the gravel edge which distract the eye and require lots of looking after - maybe plant the gravel with a selection of low growing perennials and grasses to soften the building.

Finally topping the tarmac with a resin bound aggregate material would instantly change the look and appeal, however this is a big ticket item that is probably beyond the initial budget. All the best.

User thanked Landscape Design by James Brunton-Smith Limited
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you. some great ideas to plant up the section in front of the house. i like that a lot. there's lots of landscaping to be done...you can see in the foreground! We have taken out a lot of shrub and found space for about 6 more cars under the overgrowth!!!! keep the ideas coming...! Would also love some ideas on front door design and what needs changed there...we were thinking of blocking up some glazing there but...you say whats needed as i cant visualize it just yet!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The pots and hanging baskets have gone and its already looking better! What type of plants should i put in there and should it all be symmetrical. The planter area is about 4 foot deep so don't reckon it would need to be any deeper.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And what type of planters by the front door?

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    Whilst I agree with the advice to smarten up the garden, for me the thing that dates this house is the windows in the main building. If you could replace these with deeper windows and perhaps make either the left or right window wider to add interest.
    I appreciate this has a budget implication but most of us can't afford to do everything when we first move in but to have a future plan influences decisions now that you won't want to undo later.
    User thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Sounds like you have been very busy already, 4ft depth is more than adequate for planting. I would have imagined something simple in the planting bed that is not necessarily symmetrical but has rhythm (i.e.: repeated elements). Try the following as a nice mixture:

Lavandula 'Grosso' in groups
    Salvia nemerosa 'Caradonna' in groups
    Allium hollandicum 'Purple Sensation' (scattered as bulbs randomly)
    Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam' in drifts
    Bergenia 'Overture' in drifts
    Verbena bonariensis 'lollipop'
    Kniphofia 'Tawny King'

The planters need simplicity - maybe Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabell'

Hope this gives you something to work from
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I use a company called Livingreen design for my planters www.livingreendesign.com. A wonderful array of styles and finishes, expert service and great aftercare.
  • PRO
    Timber Master LTD
    7 years ago

we agree that bricking up a section of the wall by the door would work well, you could have a nice traditional oak door with glazing and large sidelights.

Painting the house and garage doors as suggested would give it a fresh look without costing too much and adding flowers in the beds along the house would brighten everything up.

When you had the budget you could also replace the windows with oak ones to match the door.

Good luck with your project and let us know what you decide on.

User thanked Timber Master LTD
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone. I especially love the new house picture, Timber Master LTD. Very inspirational....and yes to replace the windows with oak would look lovely i think. Do you supply doors and windows to Scotland?

• PRO
    Timber Master LTD
    7 years ago

Hi Gerty Werty,

We're glad you like our picture.

We can get our products delivered to Scotland but unfortunately we are unable to install them there so you would need to find a local fitter. All of our products are bespoke so we can follow any design that you like.

We just need opening widths and heights to work from and to know the style you are interested in. You can message us if you would like to chat more or you can phone us on: 01788 577112

thanks

User thanked Timber Master LTD
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There was quite a few planters and pots left at the house when we got here...(as you noticed!). I have 2 of these large urn planters (they are about waist height) and wondered if they would be any good beside the front door. Just struggling to know what you would plant in them to make them look good. Also if you think they would be ok, would you paint them?

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

whoops...photo attached now.

• PRO
    Artificial Green
    7 years ago

How about painting the garage doors dark grey instead of black and then give the render a fresh coat of paint to brighten it up. I also agree with the above comments about defining the main enterance properly.

User thanked Artificial Green
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks. We've made a start on the borders next to the house. And then will be started on the garage doors and main entrance. Will update some photos soon...in the meantime, any other comments would be greatly appreciated!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    we've made a start on the facelift of our house. what colour should we paint the garage doors?
  • Curtis Bennett
    6 years ago
    A lovely sized bungalow! I think the problem here is that the scape seems to blend into one and there is no focal point. A coat of paint to the render would work wonders and I agree with the other comments to add in and change the current shrubbery. If you have chance to change the doors, I would suggest a colour other than brown, with so much roof space the brown is very overwhelming.

I would also suggest some outside downlighting against the render. Good lighting can improve the look of any home. This doesn't have to be expensive either.

Hope this helps and good luck
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi. would love to hear your comments. weve made a good start, still a way to go tho. Front door is waiting until next year (saving up atm). still some painting to do around garage doors etc and plants will hopefully fill out on front border. is there anything else we can do to kake this place more appealing to the eye??? Please.
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    weve made a start. still need to replace both front doors and finish painting around garage doors. what else can be done to make this place look more appealing?
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.