Did you paint this deck or use a light stain? Would love to know the product
Revived Deck in Liberty Township, OH · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Textbook Painting
    7 years ago

Hi Lee. Thanks for the question. This is a solid color stain. We used Sherwin Williams SuperDeck Solid Color for this deck. You may already know this but you should never use a paint on a deck as it is not meant to be walked on or stand up to the weather elements. On an older deck that is cracking a lot, I would suggest looking in to an elastomeric deck coating as it will give a similar look (solid or opaque) but it is thicker and will help to seal cracks and old wood. Let me know if you have any other questions. -Michael

• PRO
    Lee Caroline - A world of Inspiration
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Michael, thanks for your advice, I live in New Zealand and I was looking at a paint specifically for painting a wooden deck. Unfortunately we don't have Sherwin Williams colours or paint in New Zealand. The deck paint in NZ (specific for decking) are waterbased acrylics, I was looking at Dulux Timbacryl paint. I will look for a paint that you are suggesting though and see if there is a similar product in New Zealand.

The deck was previously stained black which now looks terrible, patchy, faded and cracked but we were told that we wouldn't be able to use a stain again unless the same colour. I wanted a mid grey. Do you think that we could stain over the top again in a very dark brown instead of painting, I definitely dont want to stain it black again? Our NZ sunshine is too strong for dark colours and stains fade in a matter of weeks.

There is a product that Resene make called step and paving paint possibly this is similar to the product you suggested. It is far more expensive as only comes in 4 litre tins.

Thanks for your help/advise :)

• lfcullen
    5 years ago

What color was used on this deck and railings?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.