asifasacha

Grey bedroom, yay or nay!!

A S
7 years ago
Hi all, I'm getting my bedroom revamped and gone for the in colour, grey but I'm slightly worried that the paper and paint I've chosen may make the room look and feel a tad cold.

I've gone for the metropolitan silver diamond glitter wallpaper to feature on one wall (image attached).

for the remaining walls I've chosen dulux chic shadow but will be willing to change to an alternative which could make the room feel warmer.

what colours and things ccould I dress the room with to make the room feel warmer

thank you in advance

Comments (19)

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Which way does the room face and have you tried Testers on your walls? I had chic shadow in my old living room which was south facing and It looked really nice although it can look a little dark. the paper seems to change colour in each pic but dulux dusted moss 2 is a light grey with a green undertone which looks as if it would work from the last pic if you wanted to go for something lighter. In terms of adding warmth, use lots of different textures for curtains, cushions and throws and maybe a rug. Add lamps, maybe candles and flowers or a plant. What is the furniture and floor like as wood will add lots of warmth? You could add a warm accent colour for accessories, anything really will work, or if you want to stick to neutrals then use different shades of grey with lots of textures

• A S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, the final image is one I took on my phone because the online images I've attached were quite inaccurate.
    I'm thinking of thick carpet for flooring but unsure what to go for, initially thinking off a white or off-white but the idea of spilling foundation or something and staying just puts me off so I'd opt for a darker shade.

-A deep mulberry/purple???
    -beige/a very light brown???
    or just grey carpet but that might make grey too overpowering.
  • A S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The room receives plentiful of light during the day and although sun doesn't shine through the room in evening, if room door is open, the sun shines in through room opposite.
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

If the last pic is accurate I might look at dusted moss 2 then. The first pic on the link is in dusted moss 1 which I think works well with the floor colour so would go for a similar shade. I'd get carpet samples first anyway as there's obviously a lot of grey paints! I think a Berber carpet could work well as it will add texture which gives warmth. What foooring do you have on the landing etc though as it might be good to get something that tones with that for a cohesive look plus it makes a space feel bigger?

http://moderncountrystyle.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/designer-abigail-aherns-bathroom-two.html

• A S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi, we haven't decided on what the landing will be like, agreed that it will feature wooden panels until the dado rail.

the landing will also be carpeted which will be one colour/style (striped) and ideally all the rooms should be having the same colour carpets so everything complements nicely
  • A S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi, I've decided to go for Chic shadow, if I find its too dark could I add white paint to make it lighter?? For accessories I'm thinking of copper and deep reds to add warmth and will most probably go with a neutral cream carpet
  • PRO
    GEC Luxury Design & Build
    7 years ago

I would definitely for Grey . Here is an example of a loft bedroom we've just completed in grey

• PRO
  • viv mcc
    7 years ago

try a match pot if your not sure , i bought grey mist i have it in the bathroom its nice and i like the finish but it has a blue base tone too it and looked nothing like the swatch ,some have a lilac base tone or a taupe base tone, or many others there are so many shades and look nothing like the shade on the swatch or the tin, if you do not like it you could add white of the same finish but you will have to make sure you mix enough as if you run short chances are you wouldnt be able to get the same mix up again, reds and wine. pinks and light blues to navy blues and naturals all look nice with grey

• A S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I think grey is the colour to go for, thank you for everyone's help. My concerns are that it may look to dark and cold but I'm gonna go for it and see where it goes. I think experimentation will definitely allow me to create a neutral space using a fairly cold colour.

what sort of lighting should I opt for, warm or cool, for now I'm considering a hue lampshade in burgundy and some warm fairy lights around a dressing table and then will probably upgrade to a fancy crystal fitting.

I'll keep you all posted. thank you once again.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

We found that what looks dark in the tin, looked 3 shades lighter on the wall . As regards lighting we recommend cool white crystal or as you suggested a colour in a hue pendant shade . Anything goes with grey within reason but we chose a light grey hue shade and Teale curtains/cushions. Good luck

• PRO
    Button & Sprung
    7 years ago

We agree with viv mcc - you have the opportunity to add lots of accent colours to make the room warmer. We did a photoshoot using our Burdock bed and a grey wallpaper (see below), and added accents of blue and white in textures and accessories which created warmth and a sense of calm. Dulux has also chosen 'Denim Drift' blue as their colour of the year for 2017, so it's a great time to be experimenting with blue accents!

We hope that helps, and best of luck with your bedroom revamp :)

Calming blue and white bedroom · More Info

• Jade Byng
    7 years ago
    As far as flooring goes, you can get light colour carpets which are bleach cleanable. I have a grey feature wallpaper in my bedroom, but the other walls a much lighter colour. I did want white carpets but was concerned about going too light, so went for a pale cream instead. Had very thick underlay so it feels luxurious. Stains have so far come out brilliantly just using stain remover foam, including a spilled bottle of berry cider and brown tinted dry shampoo which accidentally emptied all over the carpet. Haven't even had to try the bleach yet. We have the same carpet in the children's bedrooms because it goes with everything and is so practical.
  • PRO
    Modess Bespoke Furniture
    7 years ago

Hiya, we completed a project during summer just gone, the interior designer hired by the client wanted a similar shade to Dulux chic Shadow for the living room, so she went for the warm orange of our arm chair and cushions to balance out the grey. in the end the client wanted a lighter shade of the Chic shadow but still opted to keep the warm orange tones. Yellows, lime greens and turquoise also work really well.

• PRO
    Catia Interiors
    7 years ago

Hi

Do try your samples at different times of the day and leave them against the wall so you can see how the color varies. I do often use Grey tones throughout my projects and I see the color paint varying significantly depending of the light entering the space. You could also go for a tone of Grey paint that has a tad shade of brown which is a warmer color. Have a look at Purbeck Stone No.275 from Farrow and Ball.

Hope this helps somehow :)

Cátia x

• A S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi all, I am overwhelmed by the large amount of responses. can't thank everyone enough for the contribution.Just had the first.coat of paint put on today, will get pictures on as well to show progress.

I hadn't really though of blues and teals teamed up with grey but am edging towards it.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Don't forget to show us the end result
  • Karen Roberts
    7 years ago
    My kitchen is grey and cream with teal accessories. Teal is a great colour as is grey because it's so neutral. Look forward to seeing the end result
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.