mcmurman

Need ideas for paint color, oak trim

mcmurman
11 years ago
I would to paint new color in the great room and surrounding area in my open style ranch house. My recently updated kitchen is painted BM say brook sage with maple/cherry mixed cabinetry, greenish soapstone countertops, natural oak floors, oak trim (from 1996). There is a large oak trimmed opening from kitchen into great room, which is painted light yellow (light toast - ? SW). The same yellow walls continue down open stairway to lower level, front entry foyer and long hallway on main floor. Another hallway leading to 2 bedrooms and office is painted Navaho white. Dining room walls are painted crisp khaki with red jarrah trim. I am not opposed to repainting the walls in the dining room as well to blend with the rest of the rooms. I dislike the oak trim, but as it is all over our house and windows, it seems cost prohibitive to replace it with white trim or paint it. I have thought of replacing the trim with wider, shaker style oak trim to update the look, but don't know how expensive that would be. We are just starting a remodeling project of the den/home office and mudroom (no colors picked yet) and would like a more cohesive color plan throughout the entire house before making major decisions in those 2 rooms.

My house just don't seem to flow together. I really don't want green walls in the entire area, but love them in my kitchen. I would like a neutral color that compliments the green and also goes well with oak trim. The kitchen and great room face north and are darker so I like the idea of warming them up via carpeting and accessories (I use touches of dark red and green). Our great room carpeting is being replaced soon, so any ideas on color there would also be helpful. We will be keeping our warm brown leather furniture in the great room. Some colors I have considered are BM HC-83 Grant Beige and HC-35 Powell Buff, but not sure if they clash with the oak trim.

Comments (46)

• mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    More pics - dining room, hallway
  • Related Discussions

Need ideas on decorating my spare bedroom

Q

Comments (9)
    If you are wanting to almost start over, I would paint in a soft blue or soft blue/green or soft green. These colors are restful, soothing and inviting. Wood floors will be great. I would get white bedding and maybe some colorful shams. White will work with anything else. Move the bed in the center of the wall. I would repaint the nightstand white and move it closer to the closet to be able to center the bed. Get another nightstand same height. Or get two new white taller night stands. You could get a small desk to go with the chair. Paint the chair white. Maybe window panels in a semi-sheer woven frint fabric. Place a dressing mirror on the back of the door. Take the colors from the drape for throw pillows on the bed. It will feel bright and fresh, yet restful. Something like this feeling Wall color and bedding
    ...See More

I need help with paint colour for my living room and kitchen walls

Q

Comments (15)
    We just painted a color called "Latte" over the dark red walls in our place and we keep thinking that someone left the light on! It adds that much light to the place as the red was just sucking out any light in the place. Find a color you like more for that wall and repaint...and/or maybe add a ceramic tile backsplash? It will make it feel brighter in there immediately as you will get a lot of light reflection. I love the idea of sage green with your cabinets.
    ...See More

Paint colour help needed - please!!

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello Shassad85, As Far as the description of the house interior. I can suggest checking out at Benjamin Moore Brand paint color: Soft Sand 2106-60 That's the paint color number. Other one You can check out is Portland Gray 2109-60, Hope this Helps
    ...See More

Need help! Paint colour and ideas for large kitchen wall.

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Maria. It's a lovely kitchen and I must admit I like the white so would probably change the accessories. I would add a huge sunburst clock or mirror above the cabinets (can't work out if it's a clock or mirror above the fire). Add a statement light over the table. Try a coloured splashback behind the cabinets. Add some coloured stools. I would say paint the kitchen chairs but I can see they are good quality! If you do want to paint then either blues, violets or even a very soft grey if you add some coloured accesories. Do make sure the colour blends with the lounge though as you can obviously see through.
    ...See More
  • Rosanne
    11 years ago
    I'd pull a beige color from the fireplace; one of the medium colors looks like a medium taupe/mocha. It wouldn't be such a stark contrast from the dark furniture and the right shade would not clash with the oak molding.
  • Rosanne
    11 years ago
    If the molding does not have a varnish or polyurethane on it you could apply a darker stain to it in the living room side.
  • Jennifer Schmitz Graveman
    11 years ago
    I'm no help with paint colors, but I was wondering how you like your soapstone counters. We're trying to decide on a material for our kitchen counters and I was originally leaning toward soapstone, but then heard that it scratches easily. What's your experience been?
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Rosebud3, I do like the mocha or taupe tones in the brick but they seem to have a little grey tint that makes the oak trim look more orange. The oak in the windows has a richer, non glossy finish. It is the old style oak trim around them that seems to have the more orange or yellow tint and bit of glossy finish. I need to find just the right shade of taupe, but am horrible at choosing when there are a so many choices out there

Jennifer, we love our soapstone. They are somewhat easy to scratch, but I have been careful with mine to minimize that. I learned not to slide metal pans across the counter, but to instead pick them up to move. You can easily fix scratches with a little rubbing and mineral oil. I take hot pans right out of the oven or stove and set them down on the counter as it is very heat tolerant. Our soapstone is green/black after oil finish was put on. Have also seen the more grey/black with white veining which is beautiful.
  • Rosanne
    11 years ago
    Pick out a slew of color samples from the paint dept. Tape them to the wall next to the oak trim. Look at them at all times of day. It is amazing how a color can change its appearance throughout the day. I am actually struggling with the same thing, but my molding was just stained (no varnish or poly) so I can darken it a little so it doesn't look so orange.
  • JenniferR
    11 years ago
    I too have the oak trim and am reluctant to change it, for similar reasons to you, i guess. Indeed, finding a paint that will work is a challenge. I have been using the colours often used in arts and crafts homes as inspiration. I have been looking for a creamy yellow paint and -- there you have it! Why are you changing the yellow? i like it. Can you tell me the paint color?
  • Erin
    11 years ago
    Beautiful house. I can see how the oak trim can be overbearing but it is definitely leaning towards the Arts and Crafts look, which I think you are embracing. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/so-your-style-is-arts-and-crafts-stsetivw-vs~1622797 i think you should look to that for inspiration. i think you can go a little deeper and richer with the colors but you really need to work with samples to find the one. I do like the taupe color. The carpet is also really clashing because it is gray and making your trim look more orange. I also think trim should be the same color throughout the house to keep a unified look.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the idea rosebud3. As to the yellow wall color, it has been there for 10 years so I guess I am just tired of it and feeling like a change. I chose it in the first place to warm up the room and it does compliment the oak. However, there seems to be discontinuity between the green of the kitchen and yellow of the great room.

I love the Arts and Crafts style, but am stuck with a transitional house so I try to incorporate it a little with my decor We are going to change the carpeting in the great room so I am in need of ideas for the floor color as well. My husband and 12 year old like having carpeting in the great room as we sit on the floor at times and it is warmer during our long Wisconsin winters. The carpeting also goes down the stairs to lower level. The color has always seemed to grey to me as well.

Would painting the brick around the fireplace do any good, say a creamy white? I would leave the stone insert alone. That way some of the grey tone of that wall would be eliminated and perhaps brighten the room. The wall color would pop a little more. We could also update the mantle to cherry (my favorite wood) or a darker stain of oak to enhance the Arts and Crafts look. The built in bookshelves in the great room are maple and match the maple cabinets in the kitchen. You can see the grey tone of the brick better in the closeup picture below. It looks darker in the picture taken from further away than in reality.
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    to make it flow better, I would consider continuing wood floors and getting a large rug.....you did a great job in your kitchen
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love the idea of wood floors and beautiful area rug, but it would be a hard to sell for my husband. He thinks all that wood with 10 foot ceilings causes the sound to echo too much. Maybe if I work on him a little more...
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love the Arts and Crafts house photos from Erin. I wonder how expensive it would be to change the trim to 4 or 5 inch oak (whole house). That would certainly upgrade our look.
  • Jennifer Schmitz Graveman
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the info about soapstone. Good luck with your paint colors!
  • Bev
    11 years ago
    I have had the same dilema of seeming to find my perfect homes over the years but always seems to be paired with oak trim. I have had good success with macadamia by Sherwin Williams. Hope it helps!
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Macadamia is a nice color. I don't have the Sherwin Williams color deck at home so will have to grab a sample from the store.
  • Rosanne
    11 years ago
    I like the color of the brick on your fireplace as it is.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok, I threw out the idea after seeing this suggestion on some of the other threads. If I get the right color of carpeting perhaps that will help pick up some warmer color in the room and not fight the brick.
  • jag513
    11 years ago
    We have a house with oak trim. Previous owners painted the master bedroom Powell buff (master bath Hepplewhite ivory). I like the color scheme just not for the master. It would be a lovely color for main floor living. Our main level is Monroe bisque. (BM). Great color with oak trim. It is in about family room which is a north facing room and it comes off as a warm beige during the day. We struggled finding the right beige to coordinate with oak trim and Monroe bisque just worked.
  • dlj2235
    11 years ago
    BM Litchfield Grey - we have oak and that is our paint colour - very neutral and works well.
  • Valerie
    11 years ago
    We have the oak trim also and I actually like it and am thinking about paint colors for the living room, too. I keep looking at Whispering Wheat by Glidden (Home Depot). It is still warm and yellowish, but more of a tan than yellow. Whatever you do, stay away from anything too cool. We just moved in and the previous owners chose some cool colors in some rooms (like the living room) and it looks different types of terrible at different times in the day. Always go with the warmness of the wood.
  • calidesign
    11 years ago
    Your kitchen colors are beautiful. Using that as your inspiration, I would paint most of the other walls a light warm cream color, similar to your back splash. Navaho white is a great color. You could pick up the green again maybe just in the entryway, an office, the dining room, or some other space for continuity. I think continuing the wood floors into your family room and then using a darker patterned rug to tie the browns, creams, and greens together would be beautiful (like your pillow on the sofa). I think the light carpet doesn't look right with the walls and darker trim. If you stick with carpet, go with a darker neutral. I would also paint the red trim in your dining room white.
  • pbixby
    11 years ago
    At our small hardware store there is a woman there, fabulous at matching colors, She charges you to come to the house, but then the charge is applied to the paint. Maybe you have someone at a local store who could help you. I have oak trim also that seems to have a hit of grey in it. I find it very very hard to match and quite often have lots of paint patches on the walls! I can't wait to hear what you finally decide on.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for the color suggestions. Powell Buff is one of the neutrals I have narrowed down to. Monroe bisque looks so similar to Powell Buff when I compare them in the BM color deck I have at home. jag513 - You must see some difference once it is on the wall since you have had both colors in your house. I need to paint some larger samples and put them up for comparison. I want to repaint my master bedroom too (currently yellow as well so you can see why I am tired of that color) so I am wondering whether you got rid of the Powell Buff in your master bedroom and if you did, what colors did you use.
    Somehow I overlooked Litchfield Gray, but it is also lovely - do you think it is cool or warm? Do you have oak floors or carpet in the rooms with that color? I do agree that cool colors look terrible next to the oak trim, at least in my house.
    Calidesign - I love Navaho white and have it on the walls of the back hallway leading to the bedrooms and office. It looks darker there than I thought it would, but there is very little natural light in the hallway and I put the same color on the ceiling (a mistake I realized later, but was too lazy to change at the time). A brighter ceiling color may help. We originally had stark white paint in the entire house, so I was reluctant to go with a white in the great room and hallways and have it return to feeling colorless. Do you have any other favorite warm cream colors that you like besides navaho white?
    I have a lot of red and green accents (sofa pillows as you pointed out) as well as the browns in the leather furniture and cherry tables. I had thought red would be one of the accent colors to use in my rooms. I love my large rug in the Dining Room and it also has a lot of rich red. I put red trim in there because a decorator 10 years ago picked it out (her motto was that every house needed red somewhere and it was her favorite shade of red!!). Do you think the red tray ceiling trim is too much red in that room given the rug or that red clashes with the overall color pattern of the house? The other wall color in the dining room is called crisp khaki and doesn't really compliment the oak trim either. If I used a more colored warm neutral like Powell Buff in the adjoining areas I would need to change the crisp khaki walls to either match those rooms or pull in the BM saybrook sage from the kitchen. The arts and crafts look is strong in the dining room so green goes well with that theme. I like BM soft fern almost better than Saybrook sage, but am not sure if using 2 different shades of green is correct in the design world.
    Sorry for such a long reply. I am currently on medical leave recovering a broken ankle - 6 weeks of no walking and 8 weeks of no driving. Very frustrating as I can't get to the paint store for samples. I have become a Houzz junkie though and appreciate everyone's advice. What a great source of information.
  • mia506
    11 years ago
    We are just completing a renovation of a 1960's ranch house keeping as much original woodwork as possible and it can be very orange if one is not careful. I have made paint choice mistakes and had to repaint for that very reason. Our main living area is not completely open but flows from one room to the other so for me, the color needed to be consistent. I chose BM bennington gray. It is such a neutral khaki that almost any colors will compliment (your reds and greens for example) and it is a good color for our fireplace stone which is also original. The color looks great with all the woodwork and red oak floors. I painted the ceilings BM linen white (my favorite creamy white) so there wasn't such a stark contrast. Your house is lovely. Get well soon!
  • gerrycabc
    11 years ago
    BM Mascarpone is a nice warm creamy white. Am doing all the trim in my house with it.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks - More great colors. I don't have mascarpone sample to see other than online, but looks like a nice warm white.
  • charlyharper
    11 years ago
    For a long time I was afraid to go with "color" on the walls. I thought that the oak trim, doors and cabinets needed to be complimented with off-whites. tans and yellows. I thought these neutral shades would also help to brighten the inside of the house. Then I tried a darker, sage green on a smaller wall surrounding the oak, kitchen cabinets. Beautiful! In another room I used a very dark, hunter green below an oak chair rail with antigue white above. Looks great. Rather than compimenting the oak, it seems contrasting it worked for me. I also found that a shade like peanut butter looks nice.
    Also, I've found that the brick in our fireplace can be better matched to floors and walls by misting a new color of paint with an air brush. Just enough to add a hint of the new color(s) to the brick. Only takes 10 minutes.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow, I admire you for being talented and able to do air brush painting. Sounds intimidating to me, but a painter could likely handle the project. I used to have a strong color in my kitchen - terra cotta, but really find the current sage green more relaxing. I could find an area to pick up a darker shade of sage green like you did. There's not a lot of wall showing around the fireplace, but that is the focus of the room as you enter from the front door. Do you think a green accent wall there would be ok?
  • charlyharper
    11 years ago
    From your photo it seems that green might not work so well around the fireplace. The carpet and fireplace do well together. I noticed a few bricks in the fireplace with a dark brown/maroon color. If you matched the wall to those bricks the whole picture would come together nice and it should look nice with the oak trim as well. I'm not sure how this would work with other, nearby walls.
  • kglanz
    11 years ago
    I have the same situation - trying to make the best of a house full of oak trim! I really like the results of Valspar (lowes) Peach Gala - 2003-2c. It's a very light, warm, cheerful peach that will definitely lighten up your north-facing room and will bring out some colors in your fireplace. And will complement your kitchen green. Something different.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am not sure I like maroon alone, but there are some chocolate brown colors with some maroon tint like BM auberge 2106-20.
  • charlyharper
    11 years ago
    I agree - not maroon but brown with a maroon tint. That wall seems small enough that it wouldn't really darken the room and it would really make the fireplace pop out - in a good way.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It also has to coordinate with the carpet color too and we haven't narrowed that down yet. Our leather sofa and chair are more of a dark caramel brown to make it more complicated.
  • charlyharper
    11 years ago
    I see the carpet and the sofa and chair in your photos. The maroonish brown should work as well as any color. Your couch already looks nice with the (redish) maroon blankets. After painting, just repeat the maroon/brown around the room in picture frames, flower vases, pillows and/or blankets. This will help to justify the color on the wall. It would look nice. Good luck.
  • Olga Iskiyayev
    11 years ago
    Your trim, furniture, and kitchen cabinets are of intense warm color. IMHO you should dilute it with cool tones. I suggest Offshore Mist by Behr , or similar light blue airy color.
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    Don't paint the brick! It is way too difficult to change color and/or sand off, and too many coats of paint on brick looks horrible. You could actually go a few shades darker green (more to avacado or forest green) in your great room...would warm it up and compliment both the brick and the oak trim.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    OK, finally talked my husband and daughter into replacing carpet with matching wood floors and large area rug so she can sit on the floor. We took some carpet samples home and they just looked wrong up against the brick, sofa and adjoining wood floors. I started looking at area rugs and found the Pottery Barn Franklin persian rug, 10 x 14, which has the style I like and incorporates red and green. I want to pick up green in the room to tie in the green walls from the kitchen (BM saybrook sage - kind of bluish green). Have narrowed down the great room wall color to a warm beige (monroe bisque and powell buff look more yellow on my wall during the day, grant beige and BM Hush look more greige, less yellow - still deciding). Do you think this rug would work? Again, my style runs towards arts and crafts, but as I already have asian rugs in the other rooms so I would like to stick to this pattern.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oops, trying to get a better photo. That one is obviously too small to see rug pattern.
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    That rug - beautiful! The green next to the fireplace may not be ideal - Personally, I would paint your fireplace in marscapone or another creamy white, and gel stain all the oak cherry tones with the larger trim detail you wanted, that solves your concern about yellow and then you can worry about reds! I think that your carpet is fine - love the neutrals you are looking at.
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    The rug is a great choice, with that in mind, I would lean towards the buff paint color.
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is a better pic of pottery barn rug
  • mcmurman
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    bigger pic
  • Emily H
    10 years ago
    Any updates you can share? Would love to see how it all came together in the end!
  • Domenica
    9 years ago
    I also have lots of oak trim and oak cabinets and oak floors !!! A designer suggested reverse pewter by bm . Right now I have blonde by sw . I am redoing my home for my daughters wedding. Still not sure on going with the pewter color.
  • Kristy R
    7 years ago

What is the name of the green pain wall color?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.