abi_nuchi50

Do you prefer ensuite bathrooms?

Abi Nuchi
7 years ago

There are pros and cons to ensuite bathrooms. On the one hand, having it close to the bedroom is convenient. Then again, you may want more privacy.

Ensuite bathrooms - thumbs up or thumbs down?

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Thumbs up!
Thumbs down
Other

Comments (53)

• Sue Skelton
    7 years ago

Our en-suite doesn't smell! Sounds, well sometimes... The main "con" is that you still need a guest bathroom or cloakroom as well, and maybe more en-suites for guest bedrooms.

• louisecampbell09
    7 years ago
    well I'm not pregnant or incontinent and i couldn't stand to be woken up at 4.30am to the smell and sounds of my beloved hubby so it's no for me
  • Related Discussions

Design ideas for a bungalow

Q

Comments (10)
    If you are going to do this - make sure the bedrooms have plenty of wardrobe space etc - don't scrimp ! Ideally every woman wants at least double the wardrobe space she already has !! And a walk-in wardrobe / dressing room is something that would earn any developer brownie points !! So if you have the space ... Use it well !! Breakfast areas in morning sunshine work well and evening sun in the lounge is good - inside outside fireplaces can work really well and everybody needs storage for summer /winter stuff (ski /scuba /suitcases etc ) so worth adding in storage somewhere accessible (like utility room ) for that sort of gear too ! This is an awesome opportunity for you ! Have fun !!!
    ...See More

Kitchen layout/planning

Q

Comments (4)
    I can perfectly understand that you don't want an additional door off the hall, and do you really want to approach the utility with washing etc, through a hall anyway? I just wonder why you want to make the door disappear, when its not on a wall with units? If it were, it might be easy to paint it/finish it similar to cabinets, but in the middle of the wall it will stand out anyway, whatever you do. To my mind, it might be better to just put an ordinary door in there, similar to other interior ones or glass paneled if you wan the light. If you are going to do it out with similar units to kitchen, it will flow in any case, if you can see them. Several friends have done this lately and it looks fine and the continuity through the glass paneled door just seems to make the kitchen appear even larger and lighter.
    ...See More

Where in your home do you most like to relax?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would choose my conservatory as it is peaceful, clutter free and full of light. also lovely and warm so you can go for a Wee sleep.
    ...See More

small ensuite help?

Q

Comments (0)
    hi all, we are doing up our en suite bathroom and looking for advise on how to make the most of it for e.g. with storage solutions, big/small floor tiles, mirrors etc. any solutions or advise would be great, thank you!
    ...See More
  • 88wj88
    7 years ago

I'm with louisecampbell09 the thought of being woken up to the sounds of a stomach bug close by in the early hours - NO en suite unless it is at least 20 feet away and completely enclosed!!

• Ian Molesworth
    7 years ago

You really need to get your partners to close the door when using tha facilities! :)

You can barely hear the power shower in our en-suite from the bedroom.

To each their own but smells and noise are never really a problem.

• Ian Molesworth
    7 years ago

Two bathrooms are a minimum with a family or anyone entertaining guests. One en-suite and one for kids/family.

• thepaddock
    7 years ago
    We never had an en-suite until recently, having a four bedroom house for five of us and sharing the tiniest bathroom, I now love having my en-suite and don't find there is any noise problem. But each to their own:)
  • number96
    7 years ago

I moved into a house last year with two en suites. Having an en suite had never been a priority for me, but now I've got one, I have to say I think I'd miss it if I lost it!

• Doirin Duggan
    7 years ago

I had an ensuite in my last house but not in my current one. The first thing I wanted to do was put one in, however after 9 months without one I have survived very well, and that is sharing with 3 boys, 2 of which are teenagers. Yes we do have a shower room downstairs which helps I suppose, but now if I had the money I would put in a good wardrobe/storage in my room quicker than an ensuite. However if there was total spare money I perhaps might build one on.... perhaps!!

• pinklark
    7 years ago

Love mine - my husband prefers the larger family bathroom so it's win-win....

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    If I was building my own house it would definitely have an ensuite that would be better than the guest facilities- however I would put it beyond a wardrobe/dressing room and the wc would be in a separate cubicle in the bathroom
  • Ellie Stretch
    7 years ago

if the bedroom is big enough to justify it, why not?!

• viv mcc
    7 years ago

if the bathroom is way down the hall it would be nice but if the bathroom is only next door and there are only a couple of people in the house i would rather use the extra space for a walk in wardrobe..

• walksy
    7 years ago

I gave up wardrobe space to create an ensuite from what was a small separate shower room. Previously, when hubby was alive I was against the idea because I didn't want to be disturbed during the night, but now I absolutely love my own private space that no one else in the family uses, just me.

• walksy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Just to add to my previous comment. My fitted wardrobe is next to the ensuite on the same north facing wall and I found that my clothes were becoming damp, even in summer. I'd not experienced the problem before, but a couple of hanging wardrobe humidifiers has solved it. I'm told that the extra moisture created by the ensuite will find the coldest spot to settle, which seems to be the north facing wall.

• Laraine Clarke
    7 years ago
    we had an en-suite in our last house and I always missed not having the luxury of the main bathroom which seemed to be used mainly for guests. With our new home renovations we built an en-suite to our guest room and we now enjoy the beautiful large main bathroom. Our guests love the privacy of the en-suite, not having to wander about in the night opening doors and wondering if they should flush or not.
  • PRO
    L'oeil Designs
    7 years ago

yes

• everydayisapicnic
    7 years ago

Only guest rooms need to be ensuite. We are converting our attic to create a Master Suite and dressing room. Total privacy. No children, guests or pets allowed!!!

• hounoc
    7 years ago

En suites in my opinion are only suitable in very large houses. I'd rather have a large, comfortable and luxurious main bathroom than a pokey en suite. I also prefer to have a large and spacious bedroom rather than sacrificing space for an unsatisfactorily small bathroom with all its potential damp/ plumbing issues, noisy pumps and fans etc. I wouldn't be without them in a hotel or shared holiday home but in my own home I don't usually run into non-family on the landing! So separation of bedrooms and bathrooms it is.

• PRO
    JHS Carpets
    7 years ago

the dream !

• PRO
    Lilly Lewarne Architects
    7 years ago

Convenience and time

• PRO
    WHW Design Ltd
    7 years ago

Yes I prefer ensuites.

• PRO
    Georgia Victoria
    7 years ago

Better for convenience and privacy.

• Steve Chapman
    7 years ago
    Does a home with an ensuite command more money if selling than one without....all other things being equal.
    I am planning on converting a small shower room next to a bedroom into a larger ensuite with space for a bath and a larger shower. Will I get my money back.?
  • Ian Molesworth
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

imo an ensuite with both bath and shower would be a major attraction. Your plan looks incredibly cramped though. I am currently in an hotel room with a large ( 1800 ) bath with overhead shower that would be a better idea I think given your space.

• Steve Chapman
    7 years ago
    Ian, currently this space is in a barn conversion akin to an attic space with exposed beams. I bought it 18 months ago. It has a 800 square shower and an unused void of about 12ft by 800 mm to shoulder height. I'm trying to work out if by changing the space into a proper ensuite is going to be cost effective. It's a difficult space because of the intrusive beams and low height at the edges
  • Jane Bateman
    7 years ago

Each to their own.

I'm still amazed by indoor plumbing and not having to go out to the loo.

Who cleans all these bathrooms?

If you have some kind of routine, it's never a problem sharing a bathroom.

I can understand the need for more than one toilet though.

• stinkytinkywinky
    7 years ago
    Our house layout is such that it's been possible to provide an ENSUITE to each of the 3 bedrooms - a very large loo became an ENSUITE shower room and toilet to the third bedroom . Space was taken off one of the large double rooms to make the same again, and also a large walk in wardrobe, and finally the family bathroom became the master ENSUITE , as there's a ground floor cloakroom we don't need a communal bathroom for visitors. I can't tell you how practical this arrangement is when our son, wife, and 3 children visit us from Japan.
  • PRO
    HSSP Architects
    7 years ago

Save your money and use it on an amazing, indulgent family bathroom that you can really enjoy!

• Christina Barnes
    7 years ago

We are downsizing for retirement. Have bought a three bed semi. Turned its bathroom into a walk-in shower room and the third bedroom into a really good bathroom. The adjoining garage into a breakfast room as the kitchen not big enough to eat in. So three bed house with garage, now two bed, two bath and breakfast room off the kitchen.

• PRO
    Rudolph Diesel Interiors Ltd
    7 years ago

If you have a box room next to your bedroom it would make for the perfect bathroom/dressing room (depending on the size).

• hounoc
    7 years ago

That's exactly what we did, HSSP Architects. In answer to Steve Chapman, I suspect in most cases an en suite does add value as so many people seem to like them. However, we bucked the trend by removing (!) a grotty en suite so as to restore the elegant, spacious proportions of our Victorian master bedroom. We knocked the old family bathroom (which was tiny) and a bedroom together to make a really beautiful and comfortable bathroom with room for both a large shower and a large free-standing bath. There's also room for seating so we can use the bathroom together without tripping over each other and chat while bathing if we like. This room also has a dual aspect now with windows on two sides giving a lovely light. We are lucky to be able to sacrifice a bedroom in this way, I know.

• PRO
    Pippa McIlduff Interiors
    7 years ago

A good proportion of my clients are putting ensuites into older properties. People nowadays almost expect them in master suites.

• jtemm
    7 years ago

After 30+ years with an en suite, I can't imagine not having one and wouldn't ever consider buying a house without. When we had children at home, it was bliss to have somewhere that stayed (relatively!) clean and tidy for our own ablutions.

Never had the slightest problem with noise/smells/damp - although the recent trend for facilities to be open-plan with sleeping area does strike me as problematic on all these scores!

• PRO
    Bathshop321 Showroom
    7 years ago

Chose en-suites because they are small, compact and stylish when designed right!

• PRO
    E R Jenkin & Sons Ltd
    7 years ago

Fantastic for small spaces and can personalise to individual needs.

• Christina Barnes
    7 years ago

We decided not to make either bathroom ensuite because the doors would have taken wall space out of the bedrooms. However nothing is a long trek in this house!

• PRO
    AGB Scotland Limited
    7 years ago

As a builder we find that most people prefer an ensuite to the master bedroom as a preference.

• Ian Molesworth
    7 years ago

Jane Bateman Surely one gets the staff to clean the facilities! :) :)

• PRO
    Baehr Design
    7 years ago

Our market prefers a hotel feel - with all family and guests having their own private space

• Christina Barnes
    7 years ago

Yes, I can see that. Only the two of us there most of the time. Anybody else visiting we just 'keep an ear open' for traffic on the landing.

• everydayisapicnic55
    7 years ago

I can't believe people would want their houses to have a hotel feel. I always thought my mother was complaining when she said that we treated her house like a hotel! My parents never used their Ensuite as the family bathroom was much bigger. I'm not a fan of ensuites and didn't miss loosing one when I moved house. However if I lived in a house as big as Downton Abbey I'd want one lest I met a ghost on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night!

• PRO
    Aston Matthews
    7 years ago

We see a trend with our customers to make the family bathroom comfortable and relaxing making a feature of the large bath. The ensuite tends to be smaller and more modern with a walk in shower. In busy families where there is a battle for the bathroom in the morning having an ensuite really is a bonus.

• PRO
    Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory
    6 years ago

Beautiful ensuite bathroom! I'll put the solids surface bathtub in it if the bathroom space is enough!

• tamp75
    6 years ago
    Our main bathroom is downstairs (bungalow) so two bedrooms upstairs in our loft conversion each have an ensure. It’s great when I’m up early for work so I can get ready without disturbing anyone else.
  • Christina Barnes
    6 years ago

When we 'downsized' we turned three bedroom house into two bed two bathroom house. Works very well.

• Mo Amaryllis
    3 years ago

I can think of only one single pro argument for an ensuite. They only make sense in hotels or when sharing the house with strangers, but why does a family house need them? Just make the bathroom accessible from the hallway! This obsession with bathrooms is so weird. More than one on each floor is a total waste of precious space!

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Four years old thread, but still relevant. 🙂

Mo, I think they do make sense in family homes too.

A busy household with family members wanting or needing the bathroom at the same time, surely warrants multiple ones?

I speak from (historic) experience.

And we never had an en-suite. Separate loo though. 😊

• stinkytinkywinky
    3 years ago

We have 3 bedrooms with 3 en-suite - I love my bathroom to myself and wouldn’t want it any other way 🤗

• E D
    3 years ago

Particularly with a name like that! 😂😂

• PRO
    Room-by-Room (UK) Ltd
    3 years ago

Hello Abi,

En-suites every time please.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.