nksmith

Bluestone for pool coping and patio. Problems and alternatives.

nksmith
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Help. I am totally confused. We are in the final stages of planning a pool and large patio and I was planning on using bluestone for both the pool coping and patio areas. I love the classic look. Now I am having second thoughts because I am reading about problems of staining from salt water pool systems, flaking and all kinds quality and ongoing maintenance issues. Are these problems caused by poor quality materials and installation? If so, how can I avoid these problems? If they can't be avoided, does anyone have a recommendation of another material that would give me a similar look?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

While I don't have a salt water pool, I do have bluestone coping and patio. There has been no flaking, but because it is outside and affected by the elements, it has stained somewhat. Leaves, the straps from the pool cover, discolorations from being in the shade, all have left some stains. But I love it and it's beautiful, so I would do it again.

• iris936
    2 years ago

We are looking to do bluestone coping and patio as well as it’s such a gorgeous classic look. But I keep getting feedback to do limestone coping because bluestone gets way too hot. Thoughts?

• pooltime
    2 years ago

@iris936 I can offer feedback... Our pool build and landscaping included bluestone materials as well as other natural stone products. The bluestone is significantly hotter than our sandstone coping(by SUI, Stone Universe) and also hotter than the concrete decking. We installed bluestone as a wall cap near the pool and also bluestone flagstone in the landscaping. We have been very grateful that we were warned about the heat and did not use bluestone coping/decking, however our backyard is in full sun. If you had partial sun it might be tolerable.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.