joylip21

Pimple Window

Joyce Liposky
8 years ago

What can I do with a bump out window that is part of the foundation but now is in an awful location. When the previous owners added a porch the placement of the window was not taken into consideration and from the outside an awful spec is created and from the inside it is too small to do anything with. I wish I could make it attractive somehow from both inside and out. It is like a pimple on the back of the house.

Comments (5)

• lefty47
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

HI -- I would take off the little pimple and put a set of French doors or patio slider there . It could cost between 2 to 3 thousand and well worth it I think . It would be difficult to make this look better or do anything practical there the way it is now .

• suezbell
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What you your options are depends upon what you want to have when you're done:

whether you want to keep a nook of some kind for your table and chairs or just use a formal dining room you also have;

whether your budget and inclination is to add a room or enlarge a room;

what room has the other two windows and/or door or patio doors -- right wing of the house;

whether you wish to create an open floor plan and connect what is now the breakfast nook with the room with the window beside the pimple and the door or patio doors;

whether you want to lose the window that looks out at the pimple.

You'll want to take into consideration what effect what you do will have on your ability to position your table and chairs in the breakfast nook centered beneath that really niece light fixture above it.

You might consider extending the roof line of the right wing of the house where the window and door(s) overlook the pimple so you could bump out that wall to a point beyond the left / far wall of the pimple and connect the two rooms. You could use a shed roof, possibly even using glass roofing and, in lieu of windows, add patio doors to that wall.

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

It is awkward but I think I would just live with it. To me it is not ugly enough to waste money correcting. Especially as this is facing your back garden not your front garden. Do you enjoy the use of the enclosed porch?

• mandy_moo_pants
    8 years ago
    I would look at turning it into banquette seating for the breakfast nook. Built in bench, round table. Really doesn't look bad from inside or outside as is though
  • Joyce Liposky
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all. It is too small for a banquet area. I am not sure how French doors would look as there isn't much width at the outside section of the bump out, which is part of the foundation. It really is a blemish.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.