charlieboring

What are your garden projects for 2016?

Charlie
8 years ago

Most of us have plans for many projects, but we do not complete most of them. I thought shedding a little light on our planned projects might be an incentive to complete more of them and report them here. My plans include:
Growing artichokes as a perennial - I have 3 artichokes that were still thriving in the fall; I covered them with 18 inches of mulch (1 with shredded limbs and 2 with leaf compost). Now they are under 20m inches of snow.
Grafting scions from my saanichton fuzzy kiwi onto my anna hardy kiwi vines. Last year my hardy kiwi vines produced about 2 gallons of fruit. My saanichton fuzzy kiwis have not yet bloomed. I expect blooms this year. I am going to prune both types in late February and save the fuzzy scions for grafting in May.
Grafting stone fruits. I have a moorpark apricot, a burgundy plum, a stella cherry and 2 elberta peach trees. I am trading for chilean and rainier cherry scions, goldcot and harcot apricot scions, and bubblegum plum scions to graft an my stone fruit trees. I am trading rooted anna kiwi [plants for them.
Build a worm station for every 100 square feet of garden. Worm stations improve the garden soil.
Harvest my worm castings from my worm factory for mixing with my potting soil.
Make my on potting soil from potting soil from Lowes (on sale), peat moss, composted manure, course sand and worm castings.
Make and test hanging milk jug containers for growing cucumbers.
Build a outdoor work table from treated lumber.
Build a garden planter box 28 inches long X 12 inches high X 13 inches deep. Use treated lumber and put plastic cover inside to prevent leeching.
Improve my edible landscaping using bright light chards and beets among my landscape plants.
Please add some of your planned projects and comment on mine. I will post updates with pictures.

Comments (3)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.