amac645

Durability of white macabus quartzite vs. quartz

amac645
8 years ago

We are remodeling the kitchen in our 92 year old home. I'm going for the white/classic look with some transitional elements. The perimeter cabinets will be white, and the island will be a dark grey/walnut"ish" stain called matte eclipse. The delimma is countertops. I love marble, but there's no way it would last, and I'm not a "love the patina" person. I am completely sold on white macabus quartzite as an alternative to marble and REALLY want to go with that natural stone option. The plan is to use the macabus on the island and a light gray quartz (probably ceaserstone haze or cambria dunmore) on the perimeter cabinets where most of the work will be done.

I thought I had really done my homework on the macabus and have gotten the reassurance of multiple stone suppliers, but I'm now getting conflicting reviews on the durability of the macabus from our stone fabricator. She says all quartzite is closer to marble and should be treated as such. In particular, she named white princess quartzite (also known as ice white, glacier white, galaxy white) as a stone that they have had trouble with resulting in very dissatisfied customers. The stone suppliers said the same thing but pointed to the macabus as being different and very durable (as durable or more durable than granite). But my fabricator is quite vehement and is warning me off all quartzite and pushing cambria or any other quartz. I looked at Cambria's Ella today. It's nice, but still not the real thing. So what is the real scoop with white macabus quartzite? Is it really more like marble and should be treated as such (the same as white princess), or is it different and more durable? Help!!! Any reviews/feed back from homeowners who have gone with macabus would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Remodeling in KC

Comments (94)

• debbietannhauser223
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I purhased my Sky Gold quartzite from BR Stone in South Florida. Came in via Miami, Sky Gold is much like the White Macababus except with gold veins - BR had White Macabus. My slabs are posted below - not sure they have anymore Sky Gold - but should have the White Macabus.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yesterday I charged a lady $400.00 to remove 3 ugly water glass etch marks from her "quartzite" countertops next to her sink. It wouldn't scratch a beer bottle. Twenty-two thousand dollars for marble countertops that etch. Never, ever, believe a word coming out of the mouth of a stone salesman, please.

I left her a Stoneguard sample.

An etch is just above the faucet reflection. They were tough to photograph.

• R S
    6 years ago

I am finally installing my White Macaubus countertops, and after years of being stored outside while our construction faltered, it appears my slabs darkened quite a bit, but I have no idea why. From the Sun? From a sealer? I still really like them, but they are definitely darker and I preferred the whiter look. They were sealed by the fabricator before they were installed, so maybe that is why? I had 5 slabs, below are a few pics... and then installed....

Slabs I purchased · More Info

• cjakubek
    6 years ago
    We put Luce di Luna quartzite in our kitchen and a year later it is holding up beautifully. It doesn’t stain or etch but we have two tiny little chips where somebody whacked a pan and a beer bottle off the edge. I adore it and would not change a thing. I tested tons of samples and found a lot of what was being sold as quartzite behaved more like marble. Ours behaved like granite. We rejected a lovely Super White sample and several other quartzite slabs on that basis. Every single person who walks in comments on our counters. Here are pics of ours:
  • bhgg
    6 years ago

Any suggestions for how to choose quartzite or granite without samples to test? We have even gone to the nearest city, population over 3 million, and we can not find a dealer to give us samples. The only fabricator nearby big enough to possibly have leftovers is not scrupulous enough to deal with. Would love to hear how some of you have dealt with this situation.

• Elle B
    5 years ago

I know this is an old thread but hoping it might still be active. We just put a deposit down on the Macaubus yesterday. Then found the comments about staining that were scaring us away. Our fabricators have 2 different Macaubus on the lot: the White Macaubus which looks like the one shown in the beautiful photos from amac645 and one just called Macuabus. The dealer said the alternate name, and many apparently can go by other names, further confusing me, is Calacatta White (White Macaubus) and then just the Calacutta (Macaubus). We chose the Macaubus vs White Macaubus for the somewhat more subtle veining color since our cabinets are a busy stained Riffed sawn oak. We are really hoping the Macaubus is as durable as White Macaubus! Anyone else run into the different variations of this quartzite? We have an active kitchen and don't want to worry about babying the stone but like many of you, prefer the natural to the quartz.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Hope? You're buying a countertop on hope? You need to test.

• amac645
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Elle, I still get notifications on this post and just saw your question. I haven’t heard of different variations of macaubus, but I haven’t looked at slabs in almost 3 years, so I’m not saying it’s impossible. I didn’t find some variations in the label different fabricators gave the slabs, but they all looked very similar. Our white macaubus is still fabulous. We absolutely love it. My advice would be get a sample of the same material as your slab (just a little piece) and put it through the ringer (leave lemon, wine, ketchup, mustard, tea, etc on it and see how it does. Our sample white macaubus came through with flying colors. Several of the others I tested did not. It’s so hard when you fall in love with something and have a look in your head but don’t know whether it’s the right choice. I hope it works for you! Good luck!!!
  • Elle B
    5 years ago

Thanks Joseph Corlett and amac645. I have since found an explanation of the variations on the names. The Calacatta is apparently the Macaubus but cut in a different direction giving a bit of a different pattern. We are planning to get a sample and do the testing suggested. And yes, still hoping it passes the durability tests as well as amac645's White Macaubus! It's so encouraging to hear that it is still holding up so well for you, 3 years later! Thanks for all the information and pics. My husband and I love your kitchen!

• Emily Bush
    5 years ago
    Any update on the test on the Calcutta macubus? How exactly do you get a sample of the exact slab your looking to buy.
  • Lois Winstock
    5 years ago
    Just found this thread. Where we live, the reputable stone dealers all call “Calacatta” a variety of marble, not quartzite. I have never heard of Calacatta described as quartzite. We are building a new house, and I am facing the very same dilemma as the writers here. I have two slabs of beautiful Netuno Bordeaux granite to be used for my island and attached table, and have found it all but impossible to find counter material to go with them. I don’t want black counters. I finally found these slabs - recent arrivals at my stone dealer - called “Pinot Bianco” quartzite. We think they are very beautiful, but, sadly, that’s not enough. They have to be hardy, too! I have found references on-line for “Bianco” quartzite, which is described as an excellent material for counters, floors, even exterior surfaces (!). I would sincerely appreciate any feedback from anyone familiar with this material. I need five slabs, so there’s alot to be invested! Thanks so very much.
  • dcxena
    4 years ago

White Macaubas is quartzite. Quartzite is harder and denser than granite. Does not etch or scratch. Beauty of marble but with top-notch durability. I have it in my kitchen, and the "wow factor" is very high. The installers said it was the hardest, densest material they had ever seen, and it was tearing up their cutting blades, lol.

Here is the primer on the difference between granite, marble and quartzite that should dispel any fears about choosing quartzite: https://usenaturalstone.org/definitive-guide-quartzite/

• amac645
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Lois, look like white macaubas to me (very similar to our slabs), but you never know. I agree with dcxena, true quartzite is much denser and durable than granite. Our fabricator said it was really hard to work with, but the result is stunning. Ours performs everyday tasks with ease and is an absolute show stopper. Everyone who sees it wants to know what it is. My suggestion is take a sample home and test the crud out of it. You don't want to invest in 5 slabs and find out later that it's marble masquerading as quartzite. Good luck!

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

Quartzite is a natural stone and performs and behaves similarly to granite, but is denser than granite in general. You should avoid placing hot pots and pans directly to its surface and you should seal it yearly to ensure top performance and longevity. Regarding hardness, both quartz and quartzite are pretty hard. Quartz contains plastic resin so it's prone to melting above 300 degrees Fahrenheit. On the Mohs Hardness Scale of 1 to 10, quartzite rates as a 7. I definitely suggest you should get as much info as possible from your fabricator and make sure to test your quartzite. If it scratches glass, you should be good. Some quartzite slabs are mislabeled so you want to make sure you get the real deal.

• tropitango
    4 years ago

Old but wonderful thread! I am about to choose my countertops and this is the look I want. But I am interested in a honed or matte look. I can go with polished, as I love that look also, but I have a lot of "glitz" going on in the rest of the kitchen, so I think honed would be a nice soft look. And I don't want my undercabinet LEDs to reflect too much, although I can mount them on the vertical portion of my cabinet. Anyone with honed or a matte experience?

• ymorris98
    4 years ago

I installed white maucaubus quartzite in my home after the salesman telling me that it will l outlast 3 generations and still look as good as he day we bought it. After having it in our home a year I will share 2 things: 1. It doesn't look as good as the day we bought it. You can see in he last pic that a slight shadow/stain formed around the edges. I'm not sure it was sealed probably. I sealed about 3 months ago and haven't seen any new growth on the shadows so I'm thinking that took care of it.

2. I would 100% without any second of hesitation get it again. Even with the shadowing edges. It is easily ththe most beautiful stone I have ever seen, it makes me happy everyday looking at it in my kitchekitchen and everyone who sees it feels the same way. I loved it so much that I cried when it was installed. So maybe I love it a little too much.

-for the honed question, I thought really hard about getting that instead of the polished, however I would be so concerned with the practicality of the honed and food/bacteria sticking to it more. It is beautiful though, so attach a pic if you go with the honed finish!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

That yellowing edge is probably ultraviolet light degradation from cheap polyester filler.

• dcxena
    4 years ago

ymorris98--That's dreadful! I have had no such issues. Seven years on it looks as good as the day I had it installed. Joseph Corlett, why would there be filler in her slab? I'm not doubting you, just wondering about the "why". I like insider knowledge!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Natural stone has natural fissures which are usually filled at the processing plant with the cheapest possible material.

• ymorris98
    4 years ago

Thank you Joseph! Are you referring to the yellow spot in the stone, or the darkening around he edges? I'm more concerned with the darkeing around the edges, any idea on what that is and how to stop it?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Edge darkening can be fabricator error.

• krahm
    4 years ago

Amac645, I love the island stools. Do you mind sharing where your purchased them from?

amac645 thanked krahm
  • amac645
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry just seeing the notice on this thread! Our island stools are from World Market, but they are about 5 years old now. They've held up amazingly well. I think they still have something similar. Hope you found something!

• Janet W
    3 years ago

Off the subject a bit but I have white macaubas quartzite as well. I am having a hard time finding a backsplash I like for it. Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

• TJW
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Janet W: Arizona Tile Dunes Wave in Platinum is gorgeous with White Macaubus. There are other shapes if you prefer them, but we love the gently wave in the tile as it just 'goes' so well with the veining in our White Macaubus.

• Janet W
    3 years ago

Sounds beautiful. May I see a picture of your kitchen?

• TJW
    3 years ago

Janet W: FYI. We finished (most of) a massive restoration project shortly before Christmas. I have uploaded 7 kitchen photos. We did not have time to install the back splash and still have not done so yet. We like the clean look we currently have, and honestly, we have found that we don't actually "splash" : )). That is why the tile I included was not 'installed'. But - if/when we do decide to add the back splash, the Arizona Tile Dunes Wave in Platinum will hands down be our choice.

• Janet W
    3 years ago

Very pretty! Thanks for the pictures

• amac645
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Janet, we used Glacier White Marble from AGO - it's a VERY white marble with minimal movement. I loved Austin Dancer by Stellar (hand glazed tile in a beautiful light gray), but it was WAY too expensive lol. I think anything in the white/gray family with little movement looks good with it. As our supplier said, let the Macaubus be the star. Hope that helps :)

• Peke
    3 years ago

Amac645, I am curious. Why did you bump out your backsplash behind the stove? Is it an air gap space for code on the stove? Was it just for the pot filler faucet?

What a great idea to match that window! How is the marble behind the stove holding up? Has the marble or the grout absorbed any spaghetti sauce or grease spatters? That is my one worry about using tile behind my stove. Thanks.

• amac645
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Peke, the bump out is the best we could do within the challenging confines of our space (OLD house with a kitchen add-on equals a wavy wall). We were trying to maintain space and disguise the various step-outs in the wall. Thanks on the window/backsplash match. The tile guys thought I was nuts 😂. It's holding up GREAT. No staining or other marks, and we do a lot of red sauce dishes. I don't do much (or any) frying, so I supposed that might be different, but it has worked for us. I hope that helps!

• Peke
    3 years ago

Thanks. I would be more worried about red sauces. It is on my drywall right now! I just didn't know about the marble or the grout. You'd think after 7 years, I could get my backsplash on.

My issue is that on Houzz, several people told me to bump out my Bluestar rangetop by 3". I did. Now 7 years later, I found out that is wrong. I either need to tear out my upper and lower cabinets, quartzite tops, vent hood, drywall, and install metal studs, then reinstall everything with a stainless steel backsplash panel, or put a 1" air gap between my drywall and my stovetop. I thought maybe that is what you had to do. Evidently, without the stainless steel panel and air gap, the heat weakens the studs. I am going to see if your bump out solution will help my problem. I did not want a stainless steel backsplash because I wanted tile, like you. Thanks for the picture!

• OldFarmhouse Dweller
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have a blue star with the stainless panel & shelf behind it. Had it for a few years but now in same dilemma -do I want to miss out what is a really nice focal point opportunity for tile or keep the stainless. I'm so functional and have gotten accustomed to all my bottles at arms length when I cook: multiple oils, squirt bottles of lemon juice, water, vinegar, sugar, salts, peppers, spices, that I'm not sure I could live without the shelf. My son fries a lot of bacon/burgers etc and then, too, I'm often glad to wipe stainless down. if going 'tile' I would follow amac645 above and use a smooth slab and not deal with grout by the stovetop or be very careful choosing a grout and maybe porcelain tile since it could hold well with all the steam from stovetop.

• OldFarmhouse Dweller
    3 years ago

amac645, does your White Macaubas quartzite have a name brand? I saw some quartzite I liked yesterday and the dealer said it was "quartzite from Brazil" where they source all of theirs from, so given your comment about the disappointment of your sister in law's 'quartzite from Brazil 'wanted to ask if the White Macaubas quartzite was from a specific place or quarry ? thank you; you have an absolutely beautiful kitchen!

• Peke
    3 years ago

Glass with the same 1" air gap.

• hea13
    3 years ago

I have a huge kitchen with a huge island. Love the look of Marble but didn’t want the etching or staining, so I chose White Macaubas I needed 4 slabs. I hand picked them myself. The look of Marble no etching no staining they have held up beautifully! Have had them for 5 years.

• TJW
    3 years ago

Would love to see your kitchen. That sounds lovely. As much as we love our white Macaubus, we didn't feel like we had enough room for an island. I bet it's beautiful!

• Mary
    3 years ago

@ymorris98 your response has been so helpful to me, a year later! I’m just STUCK on the choices and pricing and questions of durability and knowing that it was worth it then was very helpful. I NEED to love my countertops and I didn’t know it until now!

• Shaima K
    2 years ago

Great thread! I’m considering the white macaubas for the countertop and backsplash. I saw my friends kitchen who used white macaubas only for the countertop and she said it was granite and not quartzite. What is the main difference between the two? How can I tell the difference? And which one is durable? I’d like to use it as a backsplash including the portion where the range will be, I have not researched much about if it’s the right thing to do or I’d need to use tile around the range area for the backsplash.

• Anna MB
    2 years ago

Shaima, I am installing macabus as my backsplash next week. I can let you know how it goes! I am moving into a 5 year old home and I think it will look great. I wouldn't do anything different around the range, in my opinion. I think it is a classic clean look to match, and again, just my opinion!

• PRO
    Royal Granite and Quartz
    2 years ago

Shaina.. White Macaubas is a true Quartzite not a granite. True Quartzite is higher on the mohl's scale of hardness then granite. It will not etch like Marble, but has a marble like appearance. Quartzite gets a bad name due to companies mislabeling marbles, dolomites and sandstone. True Quartzite is very dense and many are not prone to staining. NO true Quartzite will etch. Not a one. Granite and Quartzite have completely different make-ups. Quartzite is a metamorphic stone.. Sandstone converts to Quartzite from extreme heat and pressure. Granite is an igneous rock also formed from extreme heat and pressure. I personally see dolomite and dense sandstones misrepresented as Quartzite more then any other material. I do have a lot of experience with these stones because I own a Granite, Quartz and Quartzite company. We sell stone, fabricate and install countertops so we're there every step of the way which keeps me up to date on pretty much every stone that is used today. I always keep at least 100 bundles of stone in stock that I personally hand pick so I purchase thousands of slabs a year. I am very picky with the stones I purchase. I put any Quartzite that I have not carried before through vigorous testing before I sell it to my customers as a Quartzite. I'd say I send back at least 20 bundles a year that are not true Quartzites even though they are passed off to me as such. I DEFINITELY reccomend reading reviews for fabricators before choosing who you'll use . Also, try calling high end custom home builders in the area and ask who they use. Then ask the fabricator about the stone you are considering if it's purchased from a separate slab yard. If they are not able to confirm to you what material it is, then look elsewhere for your countertop fabrication. I personally feel a reputable stone supplier and fabricator will educate you in mineral composition, stone formation, and inform you how and where the stones are quarried. The chemical composition of natural stones will affect their performance in your home so it's important you have this information. I personally love Quartzite. I have it in my home. The main thing to worry about when it comes to Quartzite is if it is actually a true Quartzite. I will mention some Quartzites have a higher level of porosity and should be sealed regularly. The least porous Quartzites are actually called crystalline Quartzites. They have been through such an immense amount of heat and pressure during formation that all the sand grains have become crystals of Quartz. Taj Mahal is an example of a crystalline Quartzite. Some Quartzites are more grainy which make them more porous. Any reputable stone dealer and fabricator should be able to tell you which are grainy Quartzites and which are Crystalline. This only matters for porosity not hardness. I know I've gone on for a while. I hope some of this information is helpful. :)

• joanneheenan
    2 years ago

I too have a concern. I am just not a fan of granite anymore. I was completely sold on quartzite until a read an article, thought it was on Houzz, stating that most times quartzite can etch. Once it’s etched to me it will be completely undesirable. I really hope it can be resolved by picking a very reputable quarry. I was even told you can take a sample home & squeeze lemon on it which would tell you, however they said it doesn’t happen to ALL areas of the slab so that may not help!
    Thx for the feedback.

• TJW
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Exactly what Royal Granite and Quartz said!! Quartzite is quartzite but it is definitely 'Buyer Beware' when you are talking to different suppliers and fabricators. I tested my White Macaubus with lemons (went to the yard with a pocket full of cut lemon slices : )), a screwdriver, a piece of broken glass, etc. I also took a look at Taj Mahal after learning here from Karin (a geologist) that White Macaubus is more porous than Taj Mahal, but we loved the clean white and grey of White Macaubus best - so we were as diligent about discussing sealing with our fabricator as we were in testing our slabs. AND we went in eyes wide open that we should re-seal periodically (not all that often and definitely not difficult or costly). We have LOVED our harder-than-granite, non-staining, non-etching (TRUE) quartzite kitchen for the past 3+ years with no problems. BUT - we eliminated more than a couple of suppliers and fabricators who were clueless about the "staining" / adhesive problem discussed here (yet claimed they would do a great job, no problem -- if you don't even know a problem exists and the reason for it, how could you assure me it won't happen : // )

• Tara Dransfield
    2 years ago

@tjw - did you install your backsplash? If so, would you mind posting a pic!?

• TJW
    2 years ago

Tara, I'm sorry, we did not. We are still (happily) backsplash free. IF we ever do decide to add it, we still like the Dunes Wave glass tile from Arizona Tile. Photo attached sans backsplash. We don't dislike backsplash and had every intention of adding it - but we finished our remodel just before Christmas 2018 and with company coming for the first time in a few years and the kitchen looking great to us as it was . . . we waited and just honestly have not seen the need. We may add the beautiful wavy glass we fell in love with . . . someday, but probably not anytime soon. The White Macaubus (that we made sure to test and test pre-purchase & also made sure to insist on proper fabrication & non-staining adhesive) has held up beautifully.

• Tara Dransfield
    2 years ago

TJW- I appreciate your quick response and your kitchen look great sans backsplash! I recently finished my kitchen and it looks a lot like yours with the white macaubus and white cabinets! I can’t decide on a backsplash. Looking for a gray subway but can’t decide on a shade;-)

• Janet W
    last year

We used dark gray

• Janet W
    last year

• Janet W
    last year

• ellacamishea
    2 months ago

@TJW, what kind of adhesive problems are common with quartzite? I have a horrible seam and and looking for ways to fix it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.