draiocht26

Help, trying to decide whether to enclose a staircase

draiocht26
last modified: 5 years ago

So we have a small (700 sq feet), late 1970s, semi-detached house with 4, soon to be 5 people living in it.

The kitchen is at the front of the house and to increase space, the previous owners knocked the wall between the kitchen and the hall.

This works reasonably well except that it means that all the noise from the kitchen travels straight upstairs to the bedrooms (and the reverse... bathroom noises...). The walls upstairs are extremely and the doors flimsy with glass above them but we can't afford to take down all the partitions and rebuild.

So we are considering enclosing the stairs (while leaving the underneath of the stairs open), with a door somewhere at the bottom of the stairs.Obviously if we do that, the coat cupboard on the left will have to go or at least be replaced by something much smaller - it is not a great use of space anyway.

We were also considering creating a small semi-glazed hallway - we really don't like not having a hall - but the space is so small we have more or less abandoned that idea.

I am really not sure how it would look if we enclose the staircase though or if it will just be totally awkward. If anyone had any ideas or comments... would really appreciate it!