dwhipkey82

Help me update!

dwhipkey82
8 years ago
We are looking at replacing our counters with granite. I am undecided on the color. My husband wants to keep our cabinets because they are in great shape still and this isn't our forever home. I don't want to put a ton of money into cabinets. We compromised on a color called caledona but I'm a visual person and can't picture it. Any suggestions on a good choice? Any additional updating tips are welcome too! As I said I'm a visual person!

Comments (51)

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the input! We will eventually get new appliances. Surprisingly a down draft range is hard to find under $2,500! I like the idea of changing out the light I have just been stuck on what to put there!
  • Fabdecor
    8 years ago
    I have black granite but I would do it again will not choose dark or black granite! It looks nice at the beginning but after while it will show the tiniest spot water mark and very hard to get back the shine! Go with lighter brown granite.
  • Related Discussions

Help with updating kitchen

Q

Comments (11)
    Do you have another dining area? You could gain a ton of space if you moved the table out. If you don't want to redo cabinets, you could put a tall armoire where the changing table is. You could use it to get stuff off of the counters.
    ...See More

Help me choose a bed for guest room

Q

Comments (30)
    Melissa, when I said footboard, I meant this. It has a portion of the bed that extends beyond the mattress edge. You posted a bed that had something at the foot section of the bed. By platform, I mean a bed that has a hard area and only a mattress on it. Like this. It does not extend beyond the edge of the mattress, but does not have a box spring. It is also lower to the ground. The picture you posted was a high profile bed and box spring. It was not on a typical bed frame. A standard bed frame, used with box spring and mattress looks like this. Virtually invisible and does not extend out beyond the mattress/box spring set. That being said, I'd recommend you get a headboard that is not too big for your space. Neither in height or depth (distance from the wall). I would also not get a mattress frame that extends beyond the size of the mattress. Sorry to have not been clear before.
    ...See More

Help! Brand new floor bothering me - Replace it or live with it?

Q

Comments (3)
    I know exactly how you feel. I had a similar situation. The prospect of lifting the board and potentially raising the level made me wait. The wood darkened, and now I'm never fully sure where that board is. In fact, I forgot all about it till I saw this post. Wait a while. If it still bothers you in six months or a year maybe then consider lifting it. But I guarantee you won't, lol!
    ...See More

Help me to choose a furniture for my living room

Q

Comments (1)
    living room entrance hall
    ...See More
  • jhmarie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Great advice so far. I am looking into quartz counters - so not an expert on granite. I noticed the shelf. I was wondering if it used to be a microwave shelf. I used a kit to convert mine into a plate rail and as it was rather large I was able to put some spice boxes in too - I think your space may be smaller. I lined the space with a "beadboard" type material to cover the melamine interior. Just thought I'd pass along the idea:)

Even if you can't take the blinds down, consider a faux roman shade or tie up shad to hide them during the day. Real roman shades would give the privacy without the blinds.

• Rawketgrl
    8 years ago

Is this the counter you are thinking of?

Are you going to do a backsplash as well?

• charleee
    8 years ago

IDK. I heard that granite is on its way out and tile is coming back. Anyone else hear this?

• housegal200
    8 years ago

Can you provide photos of the rest of your space so that you can get advice that coordinates paint colors throughout? I'm seeing dark gray on the soffits but tan on the backsplash. Is that right? If so, just coordinating paint will harmonize the space.

Keep your granite as light as possible. Here's a kitchen with the Caledonia granite you've decided on. Note how the backsplash really lightens and finishes the look:

Eclectic Kitchen · More Info
    Yes to a beautiful light fixture over your island. And let's see the other side of the room so it all hangs together.

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Jhmarie yes that was for a microwave but ours is much larger than that space so I am improvising until I can figure out what to do with it! Thank you for the great ideas! I like the Roman shades idea too! Seeing the two pictures of the Caledonia I am not sure I like it with our counters. I will take a couple more pictures of the rest of the room for you guys. The lady that measured our counters for granite suggested the Caledonia because of our fireplace.
  • dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Rawketgrl I do plan to have a back splash. I've been reading a lot of different posts about the busy cabinet grain and how a busy tile and glass back splash might not be a good idea? This is a lot hard to do once it's time. When we first moved in I had all these ideas..now it's time to pull the trigger and I'm a deer in headlights!
  • dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here are a few more pictures. The first one is from the island, looking into the living room. Don't mind the decorations. We just had a Minnie Mouse birthday party. Second is the pantry, third is the space next to the refrigerator.
  • Rawketgrl
    8 years ago

Beige Autumn Granite Countertop. Pick the counter 1st. then we can figure out the backsplash.

• izeve
    8 years ago

I agree with your husband - the cabinets are nice and should remain. Updating the countertop, paint, etc. will make all the difference.

I would pick a granite that is beige/cream with brown specks, but not overly busy. Something like Amarelo Ornamental. Avoid granite with a lot of veining - I think the veining and movement clashes with the linear grain of wood that oak has. Do a simple ceramic backsplash in light cream coordinating with the background color of granite. Add hardware to your cabinets. Paint the kitchen a neutral light warm beige/tan color and change the light fixture. You will not recognize the kitchen when it's done!

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

I understand how you feel. I've been doing a kitchen refresh for about a year and countertops and backsplash are next on my list too.

Granite is not on its way out. It is a beautiful natural product and I saw it in many Parade Homes this year. However, quartz is becoming more popular than granite because it is also beautiful and does not need to be periodically sealed the way granite does - a little easier on the upkeep. I also get the sense that quartz may be easier to keep any seems from showing too much.

Even many of the newer laminates are attractive and a good option on a limited budget or if a person does not want to over improve their house for the home sale price of their neighborhood. Tile is not popular because with the grout it is the hardest to keep clean. It is only popular in retro renovations where someone is restoring a kitchen that originally had tile and wants to keep the retro vibe.

Do an image Google search of "Oak cabinets backsplash ideas" and lots of pictures will come up of counters and backsplashes. Houzz search does not bring up many oak cabinets so I find google search gives more images. You are right to be concerned about a busy backsplash with wood cabinets.

I did paint my trim work white and replaced hollow core doors with paneled doors as seen in in picture of my plate rail above - kept cabinets wood. Work was done slowly over time and while I did some myself, I also had a good (but crazy) carpenter / handyman. (My husband has been too busy and though he likes carpentry is still a novice.) Zinsser 123 is a great primer if painting any trim.

Along with the counters and backsplash, I am getting a farmhouse sink - saving up now and one reason the process is taking so long.

• PRO
    CAP Construction, LLC
    8 years ago

Colonial Gold Granite goes really nicely with Golden cabinets. It also have a hint of black that will help tie in the black appliances. Add a biscuit sink for a seamless look and add a black faucet and black hardware to the cabinets.

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Some inspiration, I wonder what it would look like to paint island an off white, or perhaps take off cabinet doors by where microwave should be and have some open shelving. Nice roman blinds and light fittings, should bring kitchen up to date, good potential
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    The gold granite looks good too, last pic is shalimar gold granite
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Open shelving, just a thought
  • dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You guys all have great ideas! Thank you so much..they are very helpful! Anyone have an idea on a replacement for the light? I've been looking online and can't seem to figure out what to put there. That light is the main source of light in the kitchen aside from the three recessed lights above the sink. I do t want to lose a lot of light.
  • jhmarie
    8 years ago

Here is a blog post from someone who replaced a light similar to yours:

http://texasdecor.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-new-kitchen-light.html

Here are a few picks of how people have dealt with having a florescent light box. You don't appear to have one of those, but they do show some possible ways of dealing with the ceiling without redoing the whole thing should you find a large area to repair under the light you have. These pictures are for the ceiling - I don't have an opinion on the various light fixtures they chose.

If you google "replacing fluorescent light fixture in kitchen" you will see more ideas.

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I love that fixture rawketgrl!! Jhmarie that's great info and very helpful! I'm not excited about patching and "fixing" our ceiling because it's got designs or texture to it!
  • Rawketgrl
    8 years ago

Yeah, mine does too. You will have to cover the hole.

• Dave Johnson
    8 years ago

You could change the lighting panel (budget friendly) and buy a decorative one. Skypanels has some nice ones. Not only does it diffuse the light, it makes it look updated.

But obviously, it would just be one panel. Check it out! They have other panels to choose from.

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok we finally went in and looked. Here is what we are leaning towards for counters and backsplash. Honest options please! I loved the lighter colors but they were more than we wanted to spend. This isn't our forever home.
  • Rawketgrl
    8 years ago

I am concerned about dark granite in your kitchen. I would consider other counter options so you can get a lighter color you can afford. Like a higher end wilson art. If you are really sold on the granite above then please invest in amazing under cabinet lights and pick a light colored simple backsplash.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Solistone-Hand-Painted-Crema-3-in-x-6-in-Glazed-Ceramic-Wall-Tile-1-25-sq-ft-case-CREMA-3X6/206075166

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MS-International-Machu-Picchu-Vein-Cut-12-in-x-24-in-Honed-Travertine-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-10-sq-ft-case-CMACHU1224H/205762438

• PRO
    San Joaquin Glass
    8 years ago
    You could take a couple of your cabinet doors to a carpenter shop and have them remove the raised panel. Then you could take to a glass shop and have clear or obscure glass installed into the center.
  • housegal200
    8 years ago

What happened to the light-colored Caledona granite you mentioned you wanted and couldn't envision? Several people have shown examples of light-colored granite and backsplashes, which would work much better to give your kitchen a less heavy, dark look. There are materials other than granite that come in lighter colors and are less expensive than granite. Are you committed to going a darker direction?

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am not dead set on that selection yet. I am going in today with our floor sample and a cupboard door. I did take another picture of my kitchen with the lights above the sink on. I usually always have them on in there but I realize the first picture I took didn't have them on. I don't feel it's too dark in there especially with the sink lights on. As for the Caledonia, I am having a hard time with that selection and our cabinets. Our cabinets are warm and I feel like that selection is cool. I will compare with our cabinet and floor today though and see.
  • Rawketgrl
    8 years ago

Light, bright and clean is the kitchen mantra. Despite the over head sink lighting you have a darker kitchen. Dark floors, medium cabs. If you put a dark counter and backsplash in there it will look like a big black hole. While yes you have warmer materials, the walls and appliances are cool. I am glad you are taking your materials with you that will be very helpful! I think you will find a lighter color granite and a plain lighter color backsplash will play the best in there. Then we can talk paint and lighting and you will have a nicely updated kitchen. I especially like the pink dining set :) so cute.

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

There are some reasonably priced quartz that you might consider. The surfaces you are looking at are pretty, but one of the most frequent dilemmas we get here is help for a too dark a kitchen - and the main culprit in these dilemmas is usually too dark a counter combined with wood cabinets. I like the idea of a stone or travertine backsplash. I have wood cabinets too and am considering a travertine stone look. However, keep any decorative strip of glass tile to a minimum if you use it at all because it can become very busy very fast. Black counters and small glass tiles work well with white kitchens because of the plainness of the white - no movement. But wood cabinets do have movement so you do not want too much movement in cabinets, backsplash and countertops - it all competes for your attention too much. Something needs to be understated.

I have an estimate for 14 linear ft of Hanstone swan cotton (quartz) for about $2500 installed. I am keeping my island butcher block - so I am doing a smaller area than you, but this might give you a comparison price to a quartz. Your island would add probably at least another $1500.

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I am excited to see the look of the different tops with our actual stuff. I'll take pictures and of course come back for more honest advice! I like the idea of lighter countertops. Hopefully seeing my stuff next to them will help overcome my mind block of warm vs cool!
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

The light will be over the cooktop so will get somewhat dirtied so I would just skip a fixture and install a set of three pot lights over the cooktop with led lighting for the best brightness and they never burn out. An electrician will have to do this unless you are handy at basic wiring but it will open up the kitchen. JHMarie above has a cool post about how it could look. Rawketgrl does too. But if you were to do that then a very pretty small chandy over the sind and puck lights under the counters to show off the new granite and backsplash.

Light over sink and woven Roman shade at window!

The Woodshop of Avon · More Info

Simple backsplash and simple honed granite (non shiny) to look aged and show off the oak cabinets.

Ireland in CT · More Info

LIght granite like I think you are considering and blink backsplash to accentuate the SS appliances; it would look so cool in your kitchen Note black pendant light; also a possibility for kitchen widow/sink area and over cooktop.

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Well here we go. The first two pictures are of the tan brown with our cabinets and floor. The second is Caledonia with our cabinets and floor. I looked at a couple golden granites and I feel like they really yellow my cabinets.
  • Rawketgrl
    8 years ago

I like the Caledonia here.

• Elizabeth
    8 years ago

I just helped my in-laws with this. I like the darker granite with the golden oak cabinets in particular - and I generally don't like black. My opinion is that the golden granite tends to bring out the yellow of the oak, which I don't like to highlight.

Of the granites you are showing, I would go with the gray that shows up in the bottom left photo above. The upper right looks like it might go green in the photo. If it doesn't go green, then it would look good also. I would also do a much lighter back-splash than what you are showing. Think of it as vertical vs. horizontal. Your vertical surfaces are light, or as light as you can make them and then the horizontal surface contrasts with them and creates a strong line.

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks rawketgrl and bizsr! Do you think the grey Caledonia looks ok even with my flooring? The reddish color. What color backsplash would you recommend?
  • Rawketgrl
    8 years ago

White or off white subway tile and matching grout

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Why is this so hard and scary?!
  • Rawketgrl
    8 years ago

It is hard. There are about a billion choices. 1st world problems right? Perspective always helps me.

You are doing great, keep looking if you are not loving what you have seen so far.

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You've been so helpful through this! Thanks for listening to my ramblings and "talking it out." I found an app that allows me to visualize things better. Check out the pictures. Using the tan brown and Caledonia! Those are the closest cabinet and floor colors to mine. I even did the last one as if I were going to stain my cabinets. I had that thought early on but tossed it out! Looks good!
  • dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Shot the last one didn't show. Here it is!
  • jhmarie
    8 years ago

There are lots of "right" ways to make the changes you want. You will not make any snap decisions, but take you time till you feel good about it. The light gray counters and a light backsplash look nice. Other choices will work too. We want you to find the one that is both lovely and that YOU love. It will happen:)

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you jhmarie!!
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

For practical reasons I like the white tile that is there now better than any of the dark slates. As you say, this is not your forever home. Spend your money on better lighting. I can't see your faucet but I think a new one would be better. It would look up to date but also make everything so much easier, Your bar stools could be more substantial. I've shown one below that I like.

I hope you are pleased with your granite choice. Suggest no busy backsplash materials.

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

Sorry, it would not let me post with my comment

• PRO
    Kelly Landry, Kitchen Designer
    8 years ago
    Would you consider doing a laminate that looks like granite? You're cabinets may be in good shape but they are a little dated due to the cathedral and are they in oak? Why not save some money by going with laminate, then you are able to do some other things like the light fixture and appliances. Just getting rid of the tile countertops would be a huge benefit.
  • Elizabeth
    8 years ago

re: Question about the Caledonia and the Redish flooring.

Yes, I think it will look fine with the redish floor. I really like the white subway tile that Rawketgrl recommended. The subway tile she is showing is a glass tile and that would reflect even more light than a porcelain tile. It is simple, but still not boring.

I personally would be leery of trying to stain the cabinets. First, you can only go darker in this instance and it would darken up your kitchen substantially. Second, its a great deal of work (if you are doing it yourself) and you have to get all of the current finish off. Any left on will result in light spots.

My parents tried to refinish their kitchen cabinets years ago and they literally never finished it and ended up having multi-toned cabinets until we remodeled with new cabinets. My mom does beautiful refinishing work. The project was just enormous and because it was the kitchen, it never really got a break long enough to get anything substantial done on it.

• dwhipkey82
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Just thought I'd update everyone. Here's the granite we went with. It's been a year and a half I think? Also, we just updated the blinds finally and it looks much better! Last thing...the light. I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Can lights are not an option right now. It is the main source of light in the kitchen area. Suggestions?
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

Very pretty!

There were some light suggestions given in the post for your dilemma. Any of those options possible?

I used some DIY under cabinet lighting ($75) for a year and then had it wired into a switch. Electrician - about $300. I only did it in my major prep area, but you might want to do under the cabinets on both sides of the sink which would be more expensive. I would have trouble woking on dark countertops without under cabinet lighting - but my eyes are getting older:)

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

The update looks lovely!

What is the reason that "can" lights are not an option? Is it that you don't have the depth available? Or is it that you want to keep the lights in their existing locations so you don't have to run new wires?

If the issue is ceiling clearance and you have no issue running new wires. There are huge numbers of LED lights available that are really inexpensive. Many of them look like can fixtures. The LEDs often can be used in a standard 4x4 J box that you would be required to have for any light fixture.

Your current light fixture probably has one J box and it is probably at one end of the fixture - the only way to be sure is to take the fixture down and have a look at what you have got. Depending on which way the joists run (I can't tell from the photo) you might be able to have an electrician install a second J-box without cutting anything but the hole for that J-box. If he has to go through any joists, then he will have to goober up your ceiling - and electricians usually don't fix the drywall they poke holes in. You have to hire a second person to do that.

The other option is some sort of track lighting, which can be excellent in a retrofit situation like this where you only have one J-box. In my experience, you won't find very much exciting track lighting at the big box stores. http://www.stonelighting.net/Low-Voltage-Pendants.311.1556.html is a great company. I think most of their pendants are available in a "Monorail" configuration. In this case "monorail" is their term for track lighting. Stone Lighting isn't the only option out there.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.