pamela_hodge

My Living Room

Della Pique
8 years ago
HELP........What do I do with this wall or space on top of the bookcase? Do I put a tapestry or painting up on top of bookcase OR do a striped wallpaper or paint with 2 variations of color going vertical on the back wall?

Comments (45)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

the ceiling fan could use a change.

i would take away the left and right book case.. they dont look attached , hang some art on either sided at eye level add a lamp behind the chair.

remove everything from the top.

then decided if you need to paint.

Della Pique thanked flair lighting
  • Related Discussions

HELP make my living room, relaxing, luxurious on a tight budget

Q

Comments (9)
    Thrift shops rule! You can pick up the practical stuff---tables, chairs, chests of drawers, and even upholstered items---and make them your own with chalk paint and slipcovers. Sometimes you can find attractive art. Lamps are also super cheap at such places as the Salvation Army, and you can paint those, too. Chalk paint can be used indoors, as it requires no messy sanding and has essentially no smell. I think you'll also want a rug and curtains. If I were you, I'd use the greater part of my budget on a good rug or two that I could keep forever. Lots of people make their own drapes out of drop cloths, but Ikea curtains are a pretty cheap option. Good luck. You're going to have fun decorating your new place.
    ...See More

need help for my living room /dining room want fancy doors with glass.

Q

Comments (0)
    my room is 42 square yards, want to divide it with folding doors to bring in light to room.want a unique door with glass.to give effect.i have a 2plus 2 plus snuggler suite in one room , dining table 6 chairs in another
    ...See More

need help redecorating my living room

Q

Comments (0)
    am trying to decide on new colour(s) for my living room. like shades of greens/olive shades and possibly match with a pale beige/stone colour. any help greatly appreciated. Solid maple floor. Furniture is all dark wood. skirting board and doors are pine. thanks
    ...See More

how to dress my living room windows?

Q

Comments (0)
    I need some advice on how to dress both these windows in my living room. I have 5 windows in total including a patio door to the left. I looked into shutters but unfortunately the windows are too small to allow them to open out properly. This is an open plan kitchen, living and dining area and I plan to have a Roman blind on my kitchen window. Any ideas welcome
    ...See More
  • Della Pique
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought that too..............I have a Venice oil painting on the opposite wall

• susan2494
    8 years ago

I would not hang anything on top of the armoire. It looks as high as the door, or is the picture distorted? Can you take photo as a person would see the wall from a standing position? I would take everything down and leave it down. and remove that tall vase of flowers from the entry table. You can hardly see the mirror behind them.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i agree nothing above, nothing on top, new fan.

Della Pique thanked flair lighting
  • Della Pique
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks but The ceiling is so high......about 20 feet I feel something needs to be up there

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Yes, the ceiling is tall, but you don't want to draw anyone's eye to the ceiling. People come into your home they look at things at eye level. No need to make everyone look up 20 feet. :>)

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Take Flairs advise and get new fan with no lights. Use your table lighting in the room.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Think about a new chandelier for the entry way. Bottom of light 7' from floor.

• jackiebs2
    8 years ago

I may be the odd man out but I love to draw the eye upward! That is a beautiful spot for a large piece like a quilt or tapestry. I am inclined to vignettes or collections of something I love but that's just me. Sounds like you want something up there, go for it! I have seen walls that large with antique farm tools, simple wooden ones (unless you like rust). Just find something you love that speaks to you.

• corlawatson
    8 years ago

I think the the bookcase is too short and you should put another matching one under all of it, then decide if it needs anything else. More storage!

• Vici Brown
    8 years ago

I think you can change the place of TV. What if TV will be on the bookcase, and instead of TV put books!

• gingerk52
    8 years ago

Maybe move the short side table with mirror and put a long quilt, art or rug there.

• monaellen
    8 years ago
    I agree, I would replace the fan, and take everything off the top of the bookcase. Can you move the bookcase further down the wall, away from the window? Also, the little chair is awkward. Perhaps it's just the angle of the photo, but it looks like it's trying to hide behind the bookcase. If you think it needs something, once you've uncluttered the area, hang a painting, but make sure it's the right size for the space.
  • wrbp
    8 years ago

I agree with changing the fan for a new one without lights. I agree you need to utilize the area above the entertainment center. The pont of cathedral ceilings is to swoop the eye up or it's just dead unattractive space. This is what happens with newer builds. It's all about big nothing about charming details. It makes decorating more expensive and the need to be very creative. I would remove everything from the top but in its place put a very large focal point. Something unexpected that takes boring and makes it unusual and interesting.

• mdcathy
    8 years ago

Find something unique to put up there like someone else suggested---when you do that, you need to definitely pare down what is on top ----but you could also find a really nice sculpture/vase and make that the centerpiece on top of that piece. The stuff on top is too busy looking, so simpler would be better. I have a large wrought iron sign that says Blessings over top my china hutch in my dining room---I got it at Hobby Lobby several years ago---that is a place you can go to see if you can find something interesting to put up there.

• sandeedee
    8 years ago

Yes, remove all the things on top of the bookcase, then remove the bookcase, the chair, everything. Clear the space and THEN hang something large and significant on the wall- make sure it works with the space in terms of design, size, and how good it is with direct light on it- not good for a quilt! Then, leave it alone and don't put any furniture in front of it, except perhaps a very tall fig tree- let the art be by itself. Just as a little observation, you have a lot of small items and they are losing impact when all seen together, little displays on every surface. Put things away and only feature one or two things at a time- rotate items seasonally so you will really see and enjoy each one.

• PRO
    Gooch holdings
    8 years ago

Get rid of the fan first, clear the top of the bookcase, then how about a large mirror ? PLEASE no tapestry. Keep it simple.

• mometz
    8 years ago

I was surprised to hear that this is a 20 foot ceiling. The pictures make everything look shorter. I would clear the top of the cases and put up art that echos colors from your painting. I have used latch hooked rugs that I made myself to fill spaces. It might not be very modern anymore but it is personal, especially if you do your own design. I have also crocheted filigree bedspreads that work well as wall hangings. You can make the size to suit. If they fade they can be dyed and they are washable if they get dusty.

• flsue1
    8 years ago

Simplify, remove, replace fan and paint a bold color. Too much, dated and fussy.

• ashtonchic
    8 years ago

I would take everything off of the bookcase and the bombe chest. I would put your two vases on the chest and leave everything else off. They are just dust collectors and make the space look dowdy. When you purchase for your home don't just buy to fill space but buy quality pieces that you love. You do not need art above the bookcase. Art should be hung at eye level.

Della Pique thanked ashtonchic
  • caroletsdance
    8 years ago

Change fan fixture...no lights....

Clear off top of shelves leaving one or two pieces you love/need.

Above, a Japanese kite or other large, interesting piece. Enjoy those high ceilings.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

The bulky and dated entertainment center seems to be in the wrong place; it is taking over the entry/foyer of your home. Is there no other location for the TV? The fan seems irrelevant here and the fixture at the door is not adequate for the volume of the space. Try a pair of striking chandeliers and put the TV into the living space rather than the foyer. Then convert the entire foyer wall into an art gallery and you'll have the issue solved and you'll enjoy years of filling out the gallery when you travel and shop. You might consider a gorgeous new paint color for a backdrop to the art, etc.

Traditional Residence · More Info

Della Pique thanked decoenthusiaste
  • ocrose
    8 years ago
    You want to accentuate the space and high ceilings in a good way. Adding fake plants , tapestries , etc just shows you're trying too hard to fill the space. You want the space to feel open and uncluttered

1. Replace fan with new chandelier with open look
    2. Remove everything on top of bookcase. Arrange only few pieces in varying heights in grouping of 3. Please no more fake plants.
  • Tarey Cullen
    8 years ago

Couple of thoughts: 1. Ceiling Fan- check at Home Depot type store about replacing only the light unit on the fan. Add dimmer control if you don't already have one. 2. Do you have another wall to place book case/ TV connection? In exchange- By placing a lamp,table , and chairs with larger square or vertical rectangle in a accent painting above may feel more proportional and grounded to the floor line. 3. Can not really see the area, or determine space size- but glimpse of foyer light suggests this fixture and ceiling fan are competing for attention.

• PRO
    FitzgeraldArt
    8 years ago

I agree with ocrose and decoenthusiaste. Sometimes clutter is hard to recognize for how it stops the eye moving through a space. I suggest an arrangement of artwork that is non-traditional in form. Tondos will rhyme with the curves in your mirror; the dynamic surface of gilding will grab ambient light and spark that wall. Changing the wall color will also bring a freshness to the space.

• Della Pique
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is a foyer (where the Bombay is) about 6x6 AND that walks into the LIVING ROOM where the TV/Bookcase is. The foyer NEEDS the lamps on the Bombay. I agree with changing the chandelier and fan as well as a new place for TV/Books but need to do sparingly (on a budget).

• Della Pique
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No other option expect putting the sofa there and the bookcase n the smaller opposite wall where the sofa is

• organizedsarah
    8 years ago

You have a lot going on on top of that bookcase, so I would either trim that way back to fewer things and hang a piece of art work OR, I would just leave it alone. I think what you have on top of the bookcase looks nice and well balanced already, and it's nice to have the openness above it.

• jmpjmp
    8 years ago

I would keep the very attractive cabinet on the left side of your photos and toss the very dated TV cabinet on the right completely. Lose the clutter. And definitely the fan, or if you must have a fan get a Haiku fan (AKA Big Ass Fan). Get a cool new 45-55 inch flat screen (prices have come way down, especially for "last year's" model). Houzz has pics of Haiku's. We love our new one in the MBR. Put a narrow console table under the new TV.

Don't worry about the high ceiling. Sometimes a simple molding placed about 9-10 feet up can bring down the ceiling visually to a comfortable level. These too high ceilings were a very ill advised concept. Don't call attention. Read Susanka's books on "not-so-big" houses and how to bring down a too high ceiling visually with a soffit or molding. It can be very simple to do. The worst thing to do would be to hang a humongous chandelier.

• pax90
    8 years ago

I would add some mirror shapes, like birds to have a float effect upwards. They would also add light.

• PRO
    Fabulous Finishes by Michelle
    8 years ago

Years ago I painted a large compass rose on a wall of similar size. The design and fleur-de-lis in the center coordinated with other décor pieces in the room. Maybe you could find something similar that would fit your personal style. The added bonus: you don't have to worry about dust collecting in such a hard to reach place. You may be able to find a decorative painter in your area at http://www.decorativeartisans.org/Member-Directory. They are all members of the International Decorative Artisans League. If you can't find a professional locally, check with paint stores and art schools in your area for recommendations.

• melissarowe
    8 years ago

I would switch out the light kit on the fan for a bowl style- it looks like you use the fan and don't necessarily need it for light. Putting the light on a dimmer switch as someone else said is also a good idea.

Without seeing the rest of the room (or knowing exactly the layout) I think you have two options:

1) flip the TV and sofa, then you can hang a tallish piece of art or collection of art/pictures that travels high over the sofa and that will help with the ceiling height.

2) layer the height of your plants on top of the TV unit. Mix tall and short and some in between so the line is not even- think of pictures of mountains where they are layered on top of each other in a few different heights, just use greenery. And make it different kinds of greenery for good visual interest.

The idea of moulding is also a good one. Early 1900's houses did something similar- though then it served the practical purpose of being a picture hanging rail. Bonus, if you do the moulding you can paint your wall two different colors- darker on the bottom and lighter on top- and you can carry the top color onto the ceiling, which will help bring the ceiling down. When doing that, pick the color you want and then pick the darker/lighter color next to it on the paint strip- that way you really only have to pick one color and you know the two will "match".

• Beth Wichman
    8 years ago

Maybe add some shelving/bookcase that starts at the same height as you top window, and use the space for books and such that can add color and iterest to the space. The picture hanging rail sounds great as well. Use ribbon, or rope and hang the items/photos painting from different lengths, this will take up the wall space and add visual interest. You could even hang second hand frames, painted great colors, with out anything in the frames.

• Lila
    8 years ago

I don't think that your intention was to change everything about your room. Your ceiling fan would be much better without the light kit Remove it and get a plate to cover it. I'm sure Home Depot sells them. Remove everything from the tops of your furniture. If you need lighting in your entryway, remove the two small lamps and replace with one larger one. Find one large item that you love for the top of your tv cabinet. Maybe an oversize decorative plate. If there are any smaller items inside your cabinets that you think you could part with that would help to declutter. I don't think you need to emphasize your ceilings. It's nice sometimes to appreciate blank spaces.

• designgirl178
    8 years ago

I think painting the wall a distinctive color, maybe using one from a large piece of artwork you will hang there. This will add color and give some character to the room. I agree tht you need a simpler look by removing the plants etc on top of the center. Also an arrangement of some colorful or interesting plates would work, those are popular and very attractive. Visit Goodwill and garage sales for your collection.

• Alf Gunnell
    8 years ago

If you're on a small budget paint the brassy eyesore in a light color and the fan as well two shades of the same color. Remove everything on top of bookcase ( or you coul paint the bookcase in a light gray color ) and diy picture frame using a nice shower curtain as wall art. THE SKY IS THE LIMIT...

• jillybeansisme
    8 years ago

Well, from looking at the tiny bottom portion of the entry chandelier, it looks very much like the one over my dining room table! I love it so much that I took it from my last home to this one. If it is the same one, I know it was very expensive. There were two sizes of that shape and I have the larger one. Find a new spot for the flowers on the entry table. They're much too large. The mirror over the table looks like it is hung too close to the top of the table ... could be the picture angle.

Get rid of the light on the fan. You can get fan blade covers that are much larger and completely change the look of the fan. You'll have to Google it. the fan just looks too small and like a different finish than the entry chandelier. You might be able to get a pewter paint to match what looks like pewter in the entry (whatever color it is, they should match).

Everyone has said remove the items on top of the furniture. I agree with that, but I also think you need to either remove the items in the glass front cases or frost the windows. That is visually cluttering and taking away from the room. I would be tempted to paint the entire armoire/side bookcases a fun color . . . but I don't know what the rest of your living room looks like. The red chair needs moving!

Good luck with it all!

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Solved! Sell the huge entertainment center on Craig's List and replace it all with a flat screen TV and a narrow credenza that won't eat your space!

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Do you really like those two particular pieces of furniture or would you like an entire built in was unit for the television and to store stuff behind doors below countertop height and open or glass enclosed shelves on both sides of the television for displaying family treasures.

If these pieces of furniture are family treasures, consider instead of wall papering the entire wall just putting horizontal wall paper trim at the top of the wall next to the ceiling to add what color you want and/or reflect your interests -- it comes in a myriad of designs from which to choose.

Have you considered clearing the top of the furniture and adding a single shelf with the same wood finish as the larger piece of furniture above those pieces? The small piece of furniture seems "stored" there rather than having any purpose.

Unless and until you're changing television sets and need/want to accommodate that, I'd likely keep and center the larger piece of furniture, mostly clearing the top of it to unclutter the look, adding a single large piece of artwork above it -- maybe pressed metal sculpture -- with two smaller items on each side, such as sconces or shelves for treasures or plant hangers for real plants. Not personally fond of artificial plants.

You could keep and center the larger piece of furniture, put the plants where the television now is and otherwise clear the top of it, then add a flat big screen television above it. No art/décor problem to solve.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Many houzz discussions I've read and commented on have benefitted greatly from photos of more walls/ whole space. We are guessing what the real perspective is, when we see so little....

• Lyone Fein
    8 years ago

Not sure why there are folks who insist that "art should be hung at eye height" -- but speaking as an artist myself I will say this--*small* works of art might work best at eye height. But when you are dealing with a large space such as this, you want to find a suitably grand work to fill it--a work that was made to be viewed from multiple heights and locations.

I do NOT recommend hanging anything *over* the bookcases that are there, unless it is sculptural and three dimensional like a mobile, or something that projects out from the wall a significant amount. Instead, I would recommend moving the bookcases, and hanging something that can occupy the entire wall from about 6 feet up to the ceiling.

• chrissiekirk
    8 years ago

My first thought when I looked at the first photo was "get rid of everything on top"...it is a very dated look and the clutter hurts the eye. The entertainment center is very nice with clean lines but you need to de-clutter, tidy up the shelves also--less is more! Get rid of the too big floral display on the table to the left. The lamps will look nice and perhaps you could put the metal cross that is sitting on top of some books on the entertainment center with them...remember to keep it with odd numbers...3 items, 5 items, 7 items like that. It would be really nice if you could paint that wall in a darker shade...make everything truly "pop". Hope this helps somewhat! (When your budget allows, replace that ceiling fan with something a bit more substantial and more today.)

• flsue1
    8 years ago

Exactly my thoughts, simplify and declutter. Get rid of all the old dusty outdated greenery, all the small pieces, and put up a modern light fixture. Paint the wall a darker color that goes with your furnishings.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.