anupriyas

Backyard privacy

anupriyas
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

How do we create a little backyard privacy from the rear property and apartments to our right? Our lower courtyard measurements are 7.3 x 4m.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Mars Landscapes
    8 years ago

Maybe some laser cut screens? Powder coated aluminium would suit as corten steel will leave rust marks on render and stainless would be too reflective. This could work in the lower courtyard.

How about frosted or acid etched glass extending maybe 500mm above wall? There are some laminated types of glass which have prints inside I've seen in office scenarios which could work.

Maybe a climber growing from a pot or two upstairs adding some stainless cabling between the posts?

Here are some laser cut screens we have installed for clients below, might trigger some ideas. (sorry can't rotate images).

anupriyas thanked Mars Landscapes
  • melita4
    8 years ago

some Clumping bamboos take up very little space, and can give good privacy

Can be in planter box if you do not like them in the ground

anupriyas thanked melita4
  • Susan Clark
    8 years ago
    The problem with high fences/screens (laser cut or otherwise), is that they can be turned down by council. I agree that Bamboo is a good choice, particularly a densely growing black stemmed version - but you need to keep the water up to them. Little Gem magnolias in large pots are another option.
    anupriyas thanked Susan Clark
  • Kim R
    8 years ago

If you know the property owners of the house, you could approach them and offer to pay for plants to be installed in their back garden along the property line. They would also benefit from the privacy. Do your research on bamboo - some of the black stemmed varieties can grow taller than 40 ft. Little gem magnolias are stunning and are compact for courtyards.

• Longer Time2004
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Anupriyas, I support Kim's idea to approach the neighbour, and believe a shared approach to the issue will benefit you both. Dividing fence issues are usually not a council concern provided the minimum standard is met... otherwise, written agreement (letter signed by both owners) detailing what and cost-sharing arrangement is recommended. Much as I'd love to see greenery, the screen idea would be low maintenance and allow some control over any impact of light and wind in the courtyards due to seasonal change etc. As well as being a quick solution, screens would be relatively easy to modernise in future years if desired. Cheers.

anupriyas thanked Longer Time2004
  • Susan Clark
    8 years ago

Just want to mention that height of dividing fence is very much a council issue in NSW. We were told flatly that we could not raise the height of our fence to regain privacy when a huge house with large, raised back deck was built on the block behind us. And we had lost complete privacy in our small garden and main living areas.

anupriyas thanked Susan Clark
  • jbantick
    8 years ago

In my area the new dwelling would've needed privacy screens to the deck area's and windows and such like before approval is given. Fence height generally varies from council to council. Landscaping is always a good option. Lilli Pillies are great screening plant, a lot of varieties and good for birds, bee's and other local fauna.

• anupriyas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone for your amazing advice. I do like the idea of putting a screen as it is low maintenance etc. But I am also keen on putting some bamboo as a screen. Just in regards to that, does it matter how tall it gets from a council approval point of view?

Anu

• jsidecor
    8 years ago

Check the orientation of your outdoor area before choosing plants. If it is north facing you may need something deciduous to let in the winter sun. What about something retractable??

• melita4
    8 years ago

When I was thinking of putting in bamboo I simply emailed a couple of bamboo nurseries. Told them what I wished to achieve, and how high I wanted the screen, and that in my case it was a narrow garden bed, and then they suggested bamboos to suit. Good feedback from the nurseries. Hope this helps

• PRO
    Protek window tinting & blinds
    8 years ago

I like to thank those who have liked my comments I've offered so far regarding those seeking ideas / suggestions on there problems .

Houzz is s great way to both obtain an offer ideas and advice.

Anyone that wishes to contact me regarding problems with the use of glass, wether it's in windows or used in furniture such as coffee table tops or in glass cabinets / kitchen splash backs or glass shelving etc ,etc . are quite welcome to contact me to see if there is some advice that I could offer

; particularly those in Tasmania where my business is based.

(. Especially those in the architectural and interior deco business. )

Fade protection and Privacy with open blinds / curtains appeares to be the main problem for many .

Other issues as to glass security and insulation against heat loss and gains as well as protecting plants behind glass from strong sun light including reducing alga build up in fish tanks etc ; can be solved by filming glass with an appropriate product .

Thanks again .

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.