amara1706

Need help with my living room please.

amara1706
9 years ago

Hi,

I would really like some advice please on what I can do with my living room especially the left side of fire place. I would like to move our computer down there, free standing mac, but not turn it completely into office space either. The room is 4.8 M wide and 6.8 M long. It can be quite dark. I would love to change the colour scheme too and possibly the curtains and the wall paper to make it less bare, it has a dull appearance I think. We bought the house over a year ago so we haven't put our stamp on it yet.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks AnnaMarie

Comments (25)

• Carol Singletary
    9 years ago
    I like the wall color you already have, but agree about getting rid of the wall paper (no suggestions there, but I'll bet someone else does). My first thought is that your wall art is all a bit small and hung too high. Maybe you could combine some of them into groupings to enhance their impact. But I would certainly look for one, later piece for over the fireplace.

For the computer, could you do something like the attached picture?
  • amara1706
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Carol I appreciate those suggestions.

• Related Discussions

Need help for my living room colour scheme!

Q

Comments (9)
    Is the chandelier thing seeming a bit small for the room or is it just me? Given that your walls are plain, the sofa is plain how about a patterned rug? Do you like Persian rugs? I find that dark green wainscotting too heavy and would paint it a lighter color. Given you have just moved in I assume you are planning to be there a while. If you like traditional style do you want a fairly safe color scheme re walls and curtains, keeping future resale in mind. Or are u happy to decorate according to your tastes? The mirror seems a bit small to me.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room

Q

Comments (3)
    Photos of the living room is helpful.
    ...See More

Need help for my living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Consider the black to be a neutral. Wall color is your last choice after you have chosen your accent colors. You need an inspiration piece to give you your color palette first. Usually that inspiration piece is a piece of art or a rug. Choose pillows and accessories from those colors. Then choose the wall color from that palette as well.
    ...See More

living room in need of makeover!! please help!!

Q

Comments (17)
    You can paint the inside of FP opening charcoal and then I would go for a blue/grey and not greige. Those colors tend to be very dark. You have black furnishings and a blue/grey would look very fresh. Your art above FP has blue in it, so replace rug and get some pillows for sofa that will bring in the colors of the painting. Why not just put in some shelves, one big enough to hold tv. That would give a more open concept to room. If you need one enclosed to store components, that would fit also. I would not build up too high on the wall.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Valter and Anna fon Eynik
    9 years ago

I think, better to make all walls light color, some color on the curtains. Add sun into the room - with dark brown furniture could be great yellow curtains. Light carpet on the floor. Fort the left side on the wall near your fire place - possibly to put some kind of the tall cabinet. Fireplace better to replace also. It looks like "not alive". Maybe wooden style will be better. Wooden mantle, for example. If you like dark furniture - better to add lighter colors on everything near. Dark flowers on the wall and curtains plus black fire place makes this place very sad.

amara1706 thanked Valter and Anna fon Eynik
  • Molly S
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love the computer desk furniture piece in the first comment! Or you could do ladder shelving for blankets or little trinkets by the fire place. I would also paint the fire place wall an accent color to make it stand out. I like your paint color on the rest of the walls, but not so much the wallpaper. And maybe add some floor lamps. It looks like a dark space with just the two sconces.

Winsome Wood Adam 5-Tier A-Frame Shelf with Black Finish X-31502 · More Info

You could even mount your TV above the fire place and get rid of that stand, and put ladder shelving on both sides of the fire place.

amara1706 thanked Molly S
  • PRO
    Valter and Anna fon Eynik
    9 years ago

Example of stands. Light, not bulky for such space

amara1706 thanked Valter and Anna fon Eynik
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Remove the wallpaper for sure. Add some brightening yellow to the room with pillows to replace the dull ones you now have. a throw, and a wide band of yellow at the bottom of your curtain panels. That will allow you to raise them to the crown molding and then let them hang loose and stylish, not tied back granny style. The picture left of the fireplace should move to the mantel, hung 5" above it. The smaller pieces hung left and right of the window should be stacked vertically right of the window. Put the large one in the middle and the two smaller ones above and below it. The center point of the grouping should be 5' above the floor. Push your TV credenza against the wall and set the TV on a swivel base to adjust for viewing. The art now over the FP should go elsewhere in your home, and don't forget to lower the pieces in the kitchen and dining area too. I like Carol's suggestion for a computer station because you can close it out of sight. I think I'd replace the large cabinet you already have with a piece like that. The low table in the corner looks too low to be an end table with the sofas, so I'd remove it too. What's the basket bin for - wood or do you burn coal?

amara1706 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • cmcc3
    9 years ago

What paint color is currently on your walls?

amara1706 thanked cmcc3
  • Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago

Your fireplace is so classy. I really like it. I noticed your kitchen walls look like Guilford Green--a color I happen to adore with black trimings. I would bring the green into the living room. Add a drop front secretary desk as already suggested. Bigger art piece over the fireplace. Additional colorful accents such as a throw and just a couple of pilllows. A brighter area rug. And definitely get rid of the wallpaper. I'd look for something that would still compliment the style of your fireplace but less blotchy. I'll have to look for some examples and add them in a separate post.

amara1706 thanked Kristi Traynor
  • Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago

add chandelier

Abagail 5 Light Pendant · More Info

Artcraft Lighting CD2008OB Monterey Chandelier, Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info

• Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago

I think the wall sconces are installed too high for up-lighting. I'd replace them with down lights to accent artwork.

• Bette P
    9 years ago

Living Room · More Info

I agree, the wallpaper could go.

Just wondering if you did built-ins on each side of the fireplace; the right side could hold your TV on a swivel mount (looks like you have the TV slightly angled now). Paint the fireplace surround a lighter colour, you could keep the arch black, similar to this photo. New wall sconces, depending on the design of the built-ins.

If you had a larger rug, you may be able to orient the sofa closer to the TV end. Consider a lighter coloured coffee table with legs, to offset the darker coloured seating.

Buy light coloured drapes and don't tie them back. Make sure they can be pushed off the windows to gain all light, you may need wider rods or a single wide rod.

You could sell the shelf unit behind the couch. If you found the perfect piece to house your computer, it might be able to go where your shelf unit is now?

amara1706 thanked Bette P
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago

You've done a nice job arranging the room for function and balance, so that part is taken care of, at least. A computer station of some sort on the left will balance the TV and its console nicely.

I agree the wallpaper should go, and the curtains, and the art over the fireplace isn't quite the right aspect ratio. Much of your other art is too small, too high, and too random, anyway, so I would suggest you start by selecting a piece of art for over the fireplace to serve as an inspiration piece.

Please, no ladder shelves. They look cheap and flimsy and don't really suit much beyond a college dorm or first apartment.

amara1706 thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago

You've got a lot of stylish, modern rooms in your ideabook. Let me see what I can do to tweak yours into one of them.

• Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago

some updated wallpaper options

Lucid Wallpaper, White and Silver · More Info

Lalique Gray Nouveau Damask Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Birch Tree Wallpaper, 24" · More Info

Labyrinth Wallpaper, Stone/Cream · More Info

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

Since it looks like you're somewhere in Europe, I can't source anything for you. But I found this great secretary desk from Restoration Hardware that would be awesome in your space. Perhaps you can find something like it there, even an original that you could refinish.

I went monochromatic with plain burlap drapes hung straight, grouped your art next to the desk, hung a sepia print in portrait format over the fireplace, and removed everything from the mantel because the fireplace is a star and should be left to shine alone.

19th C. French Iron Secretary · More Info

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

Larger rug, more color.

When you hang art, make sure it fits in the space and relates to something in the room. A painting in a small space beside a window usually ends up looking lost. And art goes at eye level which is lower when you're sitting down, or if it's over a piece of furniture, it should be a few inches above so the furniture and art read as a unit.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Grover - I love that cabinet but doesn't look large enough to house a mac inside. I like the other one because you can hide it away inside. I love the look of some of the contemporary secretaries, but they're not large enough to hide a computer. If you have time, would you try banding the bottom of the drapes with yellow so they can be raised? I thought yellow would work well with both the gray and brown here.

Presidio Heights traditional · More Info

amara1706 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Avery
    9 years ago

Hi Amara, you've gotten some great advice and looking forward to seeing the progress as you work on this project. Love the ideas of a secretary desk too. I've posted a couple links to Houzz ideabooks that you may find interesting to read especially if a secretary desk is something you're considering.

Below are some other photos from Houzz that could give you more ideas ....maybe if a built in or other type of desk (with shelving) is a consideration too.

Beautiful room and again looking forward to seeing the changes! :-)

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/classic-pieces-the-secretary-desk-stsetivw-vs~533440[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/classic-pieces-the-secretary-desk-stsetivw-vs~533440)

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/objects-of-desire-file-these-secretary-desks-under-gorgeous-stsetivw-vs~30615487[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/objects-of-desire-file-these-secretary-desks-under-gorgeous-stsetivw-vs~30615487)

Ashton Woods Atlanta Interiors · More Info

Edwardian House, South West London · More Info

Eclectic Living Room · More Info

Transitional Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Kitchen/Family Room Remodel · More Info

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

deco, what drapes do you want the yellow bands on? The original drapes in the room?

OK, just looked at the originals and those can't have a yellow band. How about I just make the curtains longer?

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

As long as they're longer. I was just trying to inject yellow because it will work with gray and brown, but so would orange. Maybe a ribbon border to add the color.

Millneck Showhouse · More Info

• amara1706
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses, thank you so much for your time and ideas.

I do know that the art is wrong but had to put something up from our last house while we settle in.

I do find the fireplace a bit un-friendly and so I would consider changing the colour of it even just the border of it like one of the photos shows.

I'm not keen on the small computer cabinet or the ladder shelving I have to admit.

I was thinking more of putting 3 full width cherry wood shelves, bottom one being wider and desk height, changing the light fittings to down lights and maybe having a wallpaper or painted backdrop behind the shelves??

I realise I would have to get rid of or change the wallpaper on the other wall and change the curtains too.

I take your point, many of you said it, about the curtains needing to fall straight, but I will need a wider pole to do that.

Again many thanks, AnnaMarie

ps we are in Ireland now but lived in australia for many years and that picture over the mantle is of an old aussie shed with moon light on it.

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

Oh, please don't change the fireplace. It's the star of the room!

For the computer station left of the fireplace, the perfect solution, IMO, would be something that mimics the TV cabinet on the other side, but that also allows you to hide the computer so you don't have a fireplace surrounded by screens. (I never did find the perfect piece.)

amara1706 thanked groveraxle
  • amara1706
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will try to find out what exact colour it is if i can find the tin:))

• kimberlyflorer
    9 years ago
    I agree about the fireplace! I love it. My eye darted right to it. In a good way. The soft color of walls balance out that unique piece. I would incorporate a few more black pieces to make sure it still fits in with style. (Picture frames, rods, etc). I know you are probably getting rid of wallpaper (good!) so have you thought of putting your television on that wall? And allowing that corner area to be a place for computer? You could change direction of sofas, either run along vertical with tv & Fire or move one of them. Also, I do agree about the wall lighting. They're too high up and don't match decor. And in sure once you change these big things, the others will be easy to visualize. (Drapes, prints, wall art, etc) Just thoughts...
    amara1706 thanked kimberlyflorer
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.