rsc1973

WANTED...your opinions

rsc1973
9 years ago

My husband and I are about to embark on a kitchen remodel. I’m ready to leave the 90’s behind and would
like some input.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We are starting with the countertops and backsplash. We’ve decided on a dark neutral granite and
light neutral linear glass backsplash.
My questions is…are the color and style of these cabinets too dated?? I do not want to go through expense of
replacing perfectly good cabinets. On
the other hand, I do not want to spend a ton on granite and tile only to change
cabinets in the near future.

Comments (14)

• Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

First decide on the floor. Light? Dark? Tile? Wood? Your cabinets are a lovely dark with lots of grain. Are they in good shape? The doors have raised panels with straight lines, so I see no need to replace them. If you go with a light floor/granite and backsplash, I'd be happy with them. Replacing the hardware will update them quickly and inexpensively. You mentioned you decided on a dark neutral granite. Any pictures? Depending on the lighting, it may be a bit dark.

rsc1973 thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • acm
    9 years ago

Making the changes you plan will certainly give the cabinets an automatic facelift as the whole kitchen feels new. However, they do look a bit dated. They're not the worst of the yellow oak that has so many posters running for the paint cans, however, so what matters more is your taste.

I'd suggest, at mimium replacing the white knobs with something that matches your color scheme (you are replacing the low kitchen faucet with a high one, right?? :). However, you might get more mileage if you considered painting the cabinets a flat color -- very popular right now are white and gray (and sometimes white uppers and grey lowers), but obviously paint comes in a million colors. Still, give this possibility a serious think before you spend anything on granite and the rest, as you'll want to make sure that if you do that, there's a color scheme that you like and that gives you both enough contrast and enough coordination among the elements...

There's no right answer. Look at some kitchens with dark cabinets or with light ones and see what feels freshest and most like home to you.

Painted Oak Cabinets · More Info
    Kitchen Makeover · More Info

Aston Road Butler's Pantry · More Info

21st Century Traditional Kitchen Remodel: North Wales, PA · More Info

Here's even an interesting before and after!

Painted Cabinets · More Info

rsc1973 thanked acm
  • PRO
    Arteriors Designer Finishes
    9 years ago

Depending on your budget a great cost effective and green solution is to have them painted by someone like us who offers this as a service. Total transformation can be had. The cost is about 1/4 the cost of replacing them.

• PRO
    Seaside Construction - Custom Home Builder
    9 years ago

Keep the cabinets and update the handles! I can just make out the granite and the backsplash tile in your picture… it looks lovely. Keep in mind that the dark granite will greatly darken the kitchen.

• alicejean
    9 years ago
    IMO, replace the cabinets if your budget permits.
  • Stacy Lawrence
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Visit maria killam's website asap before tackling any reno especially a kitchen! Don't do granite and don't do dark counters!!

• tornadoroo
    9 years ago

Ok, I'm not a pro, but I have into many remodeled houses that didn't work. The cabinets are dated in the finish and hardware. If your going to put money into granite, be sure the cabinets are in good shape before you install it. I currently have that problem in my house, poor job on the prior home owners part.

If it were me I would decide on the style and then refinish the cabinets by painting them. Not necessarily white. A soft grey, blue or off white? Shocking red? You didn't say what color your walls were or your flooring. I like the soft grey neutrals with off white myself. I would definitely be sure to have at least one color that contrast with the neutrals, that could be in accessories or in chrome hardware on the cabinets and on the lighting. Hope this helps, good luck and have fun.

PS One last note. You didn't say if you were removing the hanging cabinets between the rooms to open it up. If so remember you will need to have storage elsewhere. If your cabinets don't have pull outs where you need them, look for retro fits. Sometimes this will gain you more storage in less space and be way easier to use.

• makaloco
    9 years ago

I love the cabinets except that the drawers seem a bit narrow, and I can't see anything wrong with the counter, either. Dated or not, I'd be happy with that kitchen as it is now. Rather than change it bit by bit, you might consider waiting a few years until you can do a complete remodel. If the backsplash sample under the pass-through is what you're considering, I'd venture that that type of long skinny mosaic will seem dated in a few years, if it isn't already.

• PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    9 years ago

Just note that it isn't very easy to change the cabinets after installing granite. The stone is very heavy, and the bulk of the cost is in the labor. There are no guarantees that the stone will come off without any breaking. Another thing to keep in mind is that the stone is custom cut to your cabinets, and it could be difficult to make it an exact fit. I think the cabinets look nice, and if you update the hardware, would be just fine!

• Stacy Lawrence
    9 years ago

Visit Maria killam's website ASAP before spending a dime on this kitchen!

• donkeycat
    9 years ago

I had my oak cabinets painted white about a year ago and I realized I should have done it sooner. I love it! I also updated the hardware. It looks like I have a completely new kitchen.

• Stacy Lawrence
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No dark countertops and no granite, both can look dated five years from now and granite is very taste specific. The top interior design and decorator mags seldom feature wood cabinets or granite for that matter. Wood floors are classic, but wood cabinets are not. Remember the orange oak of the 80s and the espresso of the 90s? Heck, paint your cabinets white or cream and throw some wood block on them and that would be more classic than what you are about to do!

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago

The grain and finish of these oak cabs date the entire place. If you want to refresh this kitchen, these cabs look very handsome either painted (this style is very, very good with paint...don't worry about the grain) OR you strip the orange and use a "natural" finish that does not yellow = very pale blond wood. The heavy graining will still be there but it will be a new colour. Either way the project will be roughly the same cost/work.

I've seen the counters + backsplash changed out only to have the owners hate the dated cabs. I would "expect" you to go through the pain and costs of doing the countertop + backsplash only to "want" to do more. This is my expectation...'cause we hear this every day all day. "I only wanted to change the counters but it snowballed on me. Had I known..." If you can get away with it just two updates (2 out of 5 in a kitchen), then you are a lucky gal. Most people go on to change out everything within 5 years (change the flooring, cabinets, lighting = total of 5).

I would have a story board made up with your DESTINATION set...and then change one thing at a time...knowing that if you start with granite...you can't updated the cabs unless you have them refaced or painted/stained (it is death to stone to move it and then put it down again...almost always breaks).

Dark counters will require more lighting. Dark counters will "scream out" for new flooring. New flooring will then change the look of your cabs. New flooring will scream out "change the cabs".

Expect to "want" to change everything...give yourself the chance to keep it together and create a story board with all the colours of everything you are after. That way you can stay on track in 5 years time.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.