brandonalexm

Redo Carpet or Install Stair Treads for stairs?

brandonalexm
9 years ago

Our home is currently for sale and 75% of people who come and look at the house are turned off by the carpet on the stairs and upstairs.

As of now the stairs have carpet aswell as the whole second floor. Laying new carpet was the original plan but with 2 cats and the house not selling anytime soon I feel as though it will just get ruined again and therefore a total waste of money.

I recently thought of buying some stair treads and risers that I could install, my only concern is just the cost because the house it for sale I dont want to spend big money on stairs as it wont add any value to the home.

I would be doing the work myself so I wouldnt worry about labor costs just materials. Does anybody have a second opinion on what would be a good option or look the best. Also does anybody have a estimate on the cost of either, there is about 11 steps and 2 square landings. See the pictures attached

Comments (30)

• leelee
    9 years ago

The stair treads will add to the value of your home. I'd say do it in a heartbeat if you're going to stay but it's your call if you want to spend the money/time for a home that's on the market.

• rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    You say stair treads won't add value to the house. Wrong.
    "Our home is currently for sale and 75% of people who come and look at the house are turned off by the carpet on the stairs and upstairs." So how much is selling the house worth to you? Your potential customers are telling you why they aren't buying...i would suggest you listen to the feedback.
  • Related Discussions

need help with curtain colour

Q

Comments (39)
    Window shopping and lots of online browsing.! .haven't purchased anything yet!. Just getting house back in order after painting! I have put back the red/winey curtains that I previously had up...convinces me more to go with a neutral colour. The walls are rich Taupe but with a slight grey hue off them so I think the bottom left above actually might work. I have bedding very similar so I took them out and held up and think it would look very nice. Purple isn't a theme in my house (although I do have one bedroom painted purple/lilac) My sitting room is white red black and silver and living/kitchen room is tan and red. I want a rug that wont show up the dirt that much...I live in the country side and have lots of dirty feet coming in so I cant go for any rug that is too light in colour
    ...See More

New kitchen, but just not working.

Q

Comments (448)
    fragle0 ... congratulations on the new addition to your family. Have been following your lovely changes. You probably won't have time to work on the decor for a while. Just wanted to suggest that you try pulling the nesting tables forward to be more in line with front of the chairs & placing your floor lamp to the back of them. This will give a bit more light at night for reading in that area.Also switching the plant by the fireplace & the one on the corner by the sofa.
    ...See More

Black and white stairs

Q

Comments (1)
    Red as it goes so well with black and white! Hope this helps x
    ...See More

Whole house re-decor , for sale purposes

Q

Comments (33)
    Hello Duncan, They are good and I am biased as I don't use companies that don't provide trade discount... as I usually like to help my clients out... Here's a few images and an edging on a runner can be lovely too... I have also included one of a painted stair... So you have an option all of which are rather striking.... : )) x http://www.naturalrugstore.co.uk/coir-rugs.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiKS3BRCU-7XQ75Te3NoBEiQAA2t_xPmcwAZ3TS0Qhq1t1hzYsP-r8oFgdC385qXO88eXioYaAjCE8P8HAQ The painted one... I would include the banister in this scenario..
    ...See More
  • brandonalexm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Townhouses in this town do not sell at all, we have updated it over the 7 years we have lived here and it did not go up at all when appraised this year. Adding gorgeous stairs that are basically hidden down a hallway will not add value to this home as nothing does. Of course I know I need to replace the stairs if people are complaining about them and I will but they still wont add value, trust me, I know this house and towns real estate market. I mean actual money value too, like as in that I wont get the return of it with the price. Yes people would love it but its not worth it if i wont get anything out of it.

• User
    9 years ago

I like what rocketjcat says there. My house goes on the market in 3 weeks. For some reason everybody around here thinks this is the optimal time to sell, so there are 4 or 5 homes, at least, that have come up for sale in the past 3 weeks.

I recarpet my stairs next week. And you are right. It probably wont get me dollar for dollar. But it will take away one objection and point of comparison with the other properties close by.

It really is all about price. Everyone that is looking at your home is factoring in replacement of the treads or the carpet into their thoughts about the price of the home. Mine wont be about that - but it will be about the countertops. So if its not one thing its another.

Price accordingly!

• smckinney0984
    9 years ago

Townhomes don't go up in value in this market over time, trust me I know I am a Realtor, I agree with you. I would tell you, as my client, to listen to what buyers are saying... Your goal is to sell, clear your note, if there is one, and move on with your plans... buyers today don't want carpet....I see the main floor has a beautiful light oak flooring, continue with oak looking stair treads, doing the face a soft white. also paint the wood cap on the halfway wall, white, like the crown molding.. this opens up the stairway, and buyers love the open space feeling... hope this helps, rocketjcat is right give the buyer what they want and make your home standout! My best to you!

• patrinkac
    9 years ago
    Two cats. I love cats but is there a chance that there is an odor?
    Sometimes we become accustomed to something that assails a stranger when they walk in the door. Pet odor and tobacco eliminated houses last time I was in the market. Good luck. In addition have you had the carpets professionally cleaned lately?
  • brandonalexm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nobody has ever complained about an odour of cats. Theyre indoor cats have never sprayed on the carpets as they are neutered and they dont pee on it so I wouldnt see a problem with that. Replacing carpets right now is an issue as the cats would just go on the new carpet and scratch them etc. As for putting in new laminate or wood flooring all upstairs and on the stairs would be major costs and I dont have the money for that. The laminate downstairs is laminate from about 2005 and would be extremely difficult to find matching stuff. Would it be possible to say that the flooring wether it be carpet or wood, would be replaced as part of the sale of the house?

• Paula Lewis
    9 years ago

What if you carpet the stairs themselves and put wood on the landing?

• Francine Doyle
    9 years ago

I thought about doing the same thing in my house but was intimated by adding new treads. Look into it before you decide to do it yourself - I thought it looked pretty complicated. Any chance you could remove the carpeting and paint the wooden stairs underneath, and then add an eye-catching runner? That's basically what I did with my basement stairs, although I put cork flooring and hosings on the stair treads.

Here's a link to the blog that inspired me - check it out; she did a beautiful job turning ugly carpeted stairs into something much nicer:

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/the-down-dirty-on-the-stair-project/

• Francine Doyle
    9 years ago

Oops - I meant to say "intimidated", not "intimated". :-)

• Francine Doyle
    9 years ago

And I meant to say "nosings" but auto-correct insists on "hosings."

• brandonalexm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe it is just plywood under the stairs. Is it possible to stain plywood for stairs, or even if I replaced them? Also I would add a runner down the middle.

• Kattie Tindal
    9 years ago

I would say out with the carpet and redo the stairs with all wood.

• brandonalexm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anybody have any opinions on staining plywood and creating a wood floor. I would like a wood finish but dont want the cost of installing regular wood floors. Ive estimated that it would be similar to the cost of replacing the carpet on the stairs and in the hall? Has anybody had experience with doing this?

• User
    9 years ago

Well, you can. But I don't think it is a matter of just pulling up the carpet and staining whatever boards are under there.

Mine, for example, are pretty roughly fitted together - because they were always intended to be carpeted. So when I pulled up the carpet there were gaps on either side of the treads, wood grains didn't match, big knots in the wood, paint slopped all over, etc.

Here's a nice plywood stair...but this kind of treatment is very exacting and not exactly cheap.

I have heard buying proper wooden stair treads and installing them is not that difficult if you know how to measure and cut. Kind of like putting together a puzzle.

Good luck!

Cottage Cubed - Remodel of a 25sqm Fishermans Cottage. · More Info

• Lorri Baranyai
    9 years ago

.Stair tread and riser kits in unfinished oak or maple run about 35.00 per step. You still have to stain and polyurethane them - that's a minimal part of the cost but you do have quite a few stairs. Yes, your carpet does appear to be worn and stained so that would be a turnoff. Carpet is actually the best material on stairs - it's quiet, forgiving if you fall and easier on the joints to climb. It's seldom the carpet that's the problem but that no one wants to maintain it. Ironically many people end up putting carpet back down onto their hardwood stairs after they've lived with it for a while. One slip on the steps and they want to cover it up. Or they install a runner, hiding most of the expensive wood underneath it and damaging it by tacking down carpet down. I deal with this scenario a lot because of safety concerns for children and pets or because people are bothered by the aesthetics - they think carpet looks weird with hardwood or laminate floors on either side. Let me state clearly, Stairs are not a floor - they are a transition from one level to another. One way I deal with it is suggesting hardwood on the risers (the vertical part) and carpet on the treads. This way, you ensure everyone's safety and at the same time visually connect the hardwood to the staircase. You can carpet the landings or cover them in oak plywood stained to match the risers. New carpet will not hinder a sale but dirty carpet can. Some examples below ... And if you're serious about selling, crate the cats if they won't behave. Otherwise that problem will follow you to the next place. If they can't use the carpet as scratch posts, they'll start on something else!

• Lorri Baranyai
    9 years ago

P.S. Your current stairs have a nosing for carpet to be stretched over them. If you want to use a stair step and riser kit, you need to remove the nosing off each tread so the tread ends at the riser.

• Francine Doyle
    9 years ago

Yes, Lorri - now I remember - removing that nosing is what I decided I couldn't or wouldn't do. I watched a YouTube video of a guy doing it, and it looked like it was beyond my and my husband's carpentry skills. I ended up just buying new carpeting for my main stairway. The look is kind of "meh", but it's quiet and soft on the feet. I like the idea of just carpeting the treads - wish I had thought of that before I carpeted my whole staircase.

• brandonalexm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would be buying new plywood sheets and cutting them, staining etc. The only problem I have with adding any sort of wood to the stairs is that I know there will be gaps between the wall and treads/risers. I dont know if anyone noticed but the stairs do not have skirting and this staircase would be tricky to make some as it has 2 things of stairs and 2 landings at different levels. I would love carpet if I didnt have cats and we considered saying that carpet would be installed and included with the sale of the house but I think having new flooring when buyers look through would please them alot more. Also the new flooring would be costly as all of the flooring upstairs needs replacing which would be about 650 sqft.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago

It looks like the ratty, worn carpet is preventing the sale. This means "no sale" = no money. I would offer a "flooring" incentive to the home if you don't want to add any more money to this home. It will take a special buyer to go for this...and you are already having a hard time getting this sold.

I often suggest replacing carpet with cork because cork is a "natural" carpet replacement product. I'm not trying to plug anything but I've seen condos sell quickly with cork flooring added in.

You may not "make all of your money back" but you will have a sale...which is what is needed at this point. If you are doing the work yourself, you can save the $2.50/sf installation cost and click-together a cork floor just like you would a laminate. The broad cork planks often come in 1ft x 3ft dimensions and those do VERY well glued down to stair treads. Add a nosing an Bob's your uncle you have a quiet, low slip stair tread/riser.

My calculations show that a single plank = 1 tread and a 1/2 plank = 1 riser. That means you need 1.5 planks (4.5sf) per tread/riser. With an average price of $3.49/sf for cork, you can lay a tread/riser for $15.71. Add in oak nosing for $10/linear foot (3ft per tread) and you have a complete stair.

I've seen cork help sell condos and townhouses that were on the market for 100 days...without any hope of being sold. The laminate was removed (in your case carpet) and cork installed. The unit sold in 10 days.

• Francine Doyle
    9 years ago

I second the cork flooring recommendation. I glued it down on my stair treads and it held well, looks great, is soft underfoot and quiet. I saved a little money by painting the risers (see the photo I posted above). I get lots of compliments on my cork floor.

• Lorri Baranyai
    9 years ago

The cork may be an affordable option for you especially if it works with your home's decor.

It's interesting how different materials will sell in some areas and not others. In my market, cork is a total dud - people think it looks like particleboard and won't touch it. The two orders I did sell were both being installed into playroom areas. I have a neighbor who had it installed by a local flooring store and loved it for the first year but has since had problems with planks swelling up from moisture. However I think this may be a result of a poor installation or incorrect maintenance.

• PRO
    Macomb Stairs and Millwork
    9 years ago
    Hi there, the cork seems like a nice option. I would strongly suggest not doing the work yourself as far as hardwood steps unless you have lots of experience in this sort of thing. You run a risk of making things worse if not done properly. For one the rise and run possibly no longer meeting code requirements. I've seen many jobs botched by so called professionals that get in over their heads, and you never want to pay someone to come in and finish something somebody else started. With that being said I think you could probably figure roughly $150 per step installed.
  • Terri Henderson
    8 years ago

I think wood stairs would make the area look so much nicer. I looked up prefinished stair treads and they were over $60 each! My stairs were covered in carpet and we removed it. There were wood stairs underneath but they had been painted. My guess is that they are just one inch thick pine where the front edge was rounded off with a router. This should be easy to make if you have the tools. I am not sure what most buyers prefer, but I find carpeted stairs much harder to clean, so I prefer wood. However, my dogs are afraid of the wood stairs.

• Terri Henderson
    8 years ago

Oh, look what I found. I swear there is nothing that isn't on YouTube. I would stain the treads and paint the risers just as this person did. Painted risers help the person visually as they go up the stairs, and it just looks good in my opinion. I would probably stain the wood a darker color though, as I am not crazy about pine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTFq8CIk1g

• potter99
    8 years ago
    So much advice, some I agree with - but an issue that I haven't seen pointed out is the half wall makes the stairway dark - this emphasizes the worn out nature of the carpet.
    Here's my 2 cents. - Take up the carpet : paint the risers and the "handrail" on the half wall the same white as your trim. Find a carpet runner in a neutral but geometric pattern that compliments for main floor laminate and your decor - then choose a mid tone colour from the runner pattern to paint the treads and the landings. This will make a distinctive memorable feature of your stairs instead of a gloomy turnoff.
    If you can - paint the wall below the chair rail a lighter coordinating colour and if there is a light fixture above the stair, make sure it is an attractive piece.
    The key to painting the stairs; is using a good primer- we like BM Stix- then use a semi, or satin gloss floor paint for the treads. A good steam clean of the second floor carpeting (but if you can replace it with a neutral cut pattern) will be worth it.
    Your goal is a sale, so at the very least you need something buyers can tuck in their memory- plus - somehow it matters that the seller makes a special effort to stand out.
  • PRO
    NuStair
    8 years ago

Utilizing a retread system like NuStair would help jazz up that drab staircase. Prefinished treads from NuStair are designed with the DIYer in mind so if you are looking for an affordable way to bring some extra value to your home, retreading with a product like NuStair is the way to go.

Before

Blogger: Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body's Stunning Staircase Transformation · More Info
    After
    Blogger: Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body's Stunning Staircase Transformation · More Info

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.