grainne831

need help with curtain colour

10 years ago
We have just finished a project in our hall but im stuck as to what color curtains to put up. Any advise or guidance would be appreciated. The walls were painted rich Taupe which has a kind of grey hue to it. Wood work is all white and stairs rail and steps are walnut.

Comments (39)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    I would start by considering one of the three surrounding colors.
  • 10 years ago
    warm earth tone colors would be great
  • Related Discussions

Need help in picking curtains and roman blind for my kitchen

Q

Comments (10)
    I do not see velvets and silks for a kitchen sink window sorry. There are plenty of gorgeous fabrics around with beautiful damask or geometric pattern that are striking, that could be found in a faux silk or linen. Velvet is something that I would never put in a kitchen. But it is your kitchen.
    ...See More

Need help with curtains

Q

Comments (3)
    You have a lovely room, classic w prints will cheer it up. Check houzz.com under curtains or http://www.countrycurtains.com/category/100+curtains/115+fabric+by+the+yard.do?sortby=ourPicks&pp=12&page=4 For ideas...good luck
    ...See More

What colour/kind of curtains to give colour pop to grey living room?

Q

Comments (8)
    Gorgeous sofas! Would you consider using the Thibaut print suggested by Judy G Designs in a soft fold Roman shade? You don't say how many windows there are in the room. But Straight edge on the bottom, outside mount, clean and simple. The print has enough activity.
    ...See More

Blinds, curtains... help!

Q

Comments (5)
    I'd like the shutters option above (nice example pics!) but I'd probably go for solid shutters & keep them open during the day because the example above just block too much light for me! In M-C Bennett's case, seeing as it appears to be a dark room, I'd go for solid shutters on the bottom & just leave the top window as a feature, uncovered window! Downside of shutters is, yes, you keep the use of your windowsill, but you have to remove everything to open & close them! Nothin wrong with a nice neat deep velour curtain either!!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The warmest colour that works with this is a deep burgundy. It maintains the warmth but adds drama.Ps I thought you had painted a swiss cross on the door! You could add swiss flag red for a touch of humour.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for suggestions...i had thought of maybe going with curtains the same color as the walls and then maybe adding a bit of colour through door rug, pictures and accessories. I used to have deep red curtains up...not sure if it makes any difference but i also have a big dark mirror to go up.....
    I love the idea of burgandy
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Nice job on the hall!

Question: what is the purpose of the drapes? Decorative? Privacy? Light filtering?

If it is decorative only, I would say that no blinds at all are best.

I looked at your idea book and I am not seeing burgundy as a color you would like. It looks to me that you are going in more of a neutral tone direction. You can add warmth through a rug, as you mention.

Also, with your new color tones, consider painting the stair railing and balusters a deep charcoal or black.

I know that is more work, but maybe Superman can help!
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks!
    The purpose of the curtains is both decorative and functional. We don't have a porch so I do like to pull the curtains at night in winter. The blinds I usually have rolled up to top (don't actually use these) as I think they restrict the light.

My hall ideasbook was really just to get ideas for the panelling
    I think id be killed if I suggested painting the stair railing. They are walnut and in other rooms we have walnut floors so kind I ties in with other rooms
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks!

You say functional---so what is the function---privacy? I would simply use the blinds and forget drapes.
  • 10 years ago
    I pull them across to keep the heat in!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would put White Faux Wood Plantation Shutters in those Side Lights. Shutters are priced by the SF so they are not very expensive to put in Sidelights Shutters will give you a clean look and will look great! They also give good insulation. Add your some color with the artwork and accessories. I would not cover this beautiful door and white wood work with a curtain.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Now that I know the function of your drapes, I agree with Inspired Spaces. Plantation Shutters is the way to go. Install them in the same color as your trim.

Drapes are going to look really odd, especially with your woodwork half-covered.

The shutters will look seamless and perform the insulating function you want.
  • 10 years ago
    now that's an idea!
  • 10 years ago
    would the white shutters not look od with my black window frames?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    No, they are mounted inside the windows and have a frame themselves. You should not be able to see the dark frames.

Can you take a closer photo of the windows?
    [houzz=
    Plantation Shutters · More Info
    ]
  • 10 years ago
    actually not black...frames same colour as door (rest of windows are black)...not sure if these pictures help
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Actually I would frame the window out with the shutter z-frame. It mount inside the window and lay on the outside of the wall. Now that I take a closer look you are going to have an issue with that chair rail running into the window. A professional SHUTTER installer will know how to notch this out. They will also have to figure out the frame against the door. I would have them come to your home and look at it. The shutters framed out in the white will look stunning! See example below.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Well clearly I need to learn to write! The Z-Frame will mount inside the window and will lay on the outside of the wall. Here is a picture of a Z-Frame.
  • 10 years ago
    yes the z frame would look great but cant see that working with the little space on the door side...will need to get professional in to have a look and quote...will turn out a lot more expensive than new curtains!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the photos.

Inspired is correct. I see you do not have the room for an inside mount. You need a lot of depth for an inside mount of a plantation shutter. But, a pro can install a frame and it will look really good.
  • 10 years ago
    warm colored earth tone curtains would look nice
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Yes, it will work. Yes, it will cost more than drapes.

If you end up hanging panels, I would pick up a color in your hall. Do you already have a carpet? What about any art? Absent of those, I would go monochromatic, matching either your paint color or the white in the trim.
  • 10 years ago
    The only thing I have at the moment is the mirror which is brown bronze colour and quite a thick frame no pictures or rug yet...although I do have a picture id like to use and it might work in the landing although im not sure if the black frame is too harsh..its approx. 1 by 2 foot
  • 10 years ago
    top landing
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I seems the art might be a little small for the hall and it doesn't really relate to the paint color. How about something large and more neutral?
  • 10 years ago
    i actually really like that image. but not sure i like it in that space.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Shutters would definitely look great to finish off the room. Will complete the custom look you have going throughout the room with the wainscoting. Check out our shutters:

Bali® EuroVue™ Shutters: 2 1/2" Louvers · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/projects/225963/Shutters
  • 10 years ago
    shutters would be fine, but I don't see them adding color and personality like drapery - I have a friend with a velvet curtain that goes up in winter over her entry door too - it keeps out drafts and adds personality to the room. I would be inclined to find a graphic print with tan, white and walnut tones, but you might prefer a traditional merlot and tan print - consider running the rod the width of the space so they can stack back and go for a high texture fabric - lined linen, heavy silk, corduroy or chenille if you live north so you have 3 seasons of cold. Be unique!
  • 10 years ago
    would any of these work
  • 10 years ago
    or even... im swaying more neutral I think and add in colour with accessories
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think the bottom left would work. Seems to blend most with your paint.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I agree that you rug should make your statement in the hall. This one certainly does.

Do you like purple? Will you grow tired of purple soon? If you want to bring in a bold color, that is fine, but you have to incorporate the colors that are already there.

So, the taupe in the paint, the taupe in the floor.

Example: here is a rug that takes the marble floor into consideration. I can''t tell if your walls are grey or more a a taupe, maybe greige?

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/realm-wool-rug/1330637135.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f102038%2c6840%2fo%2f2
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It looks like grainnie is shopping in Ireland. I too, have never seen drapes in the front hall. But, there is nothing wrong with doing something different.

Your hall should welcome guests and transition guests to the rest of the house. So, unless purple is a theme in your home, I am not sure I would choose something that color-specific.
  • 10 years ago
    Window shopping and lots of online browsing.! .haven't purchased anything yet!. Just getting house back in order after painting! I have put back the red/winey curtains that I previously had up...convinces me more to go with a neutral colour. The walls are rich Taupe but with a slight grey hue off them so I think the bottom left above actually might work. I have bedding very similar so I took them out and held up and think it would look very nice.
    Purple isn't a theme in my house (although I do have one bedroom painted purple/lilac) My sitting room is white red black and silver and living/kitchen room is tan and red. I want a rug that wont show up the dirt that much...I live in the country side and have lots of dirty feet coming in so I cant go for any rug that is too light in colour
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Okay, I think bottom left color of drape will work. Then, in your rug, go with a pattern and include the darker color as in top right drapes.
  • 10 years ago
    ok thanks a million for all your help...now to find those curtains!...will post a pic when finished
    Next job is to get the window box on the landing upholstered...will wait till i get curtains first and try and tie it in
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Oh, you should be able to find something along that color line. I would buy from a local store, since you are looking for a certain color. Might be easier/unless you are really far out in the country?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Oh, that would be nice to have a seating area on the landing.
    grainne831 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 10 years ago
    if you are using red and neutrals in the public / main living spaces, then a red traditional oriental with tan, gray / taupe and back / heavy pattern would be my best advice to you on the floor. Same with the art - red and violets can't flow easily without a bridge piece - some art or fabric with both tones in a beautiful way.

If you are placing a bench cushion, that could be a place for a beautiful stripe with neutrals and just a little red.
    grainne831 thanked libradesigneye
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.